What's the Most Complicated Thing You Ever Did?

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 03:00 pm
@IRFRANK,
In Neo's case, they've only got about four months for her to be on Private Insurance (Obamacare) and then she'll be 65 and switch to Medicare.

I waited until I was 66.

Joe(even Medicare isn't a snap)Nation
JTT

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 03:05 pm
@Joe Nation,
I guess this qualifies as getting back to the intent of the thread, right, Joe.

Getting medicare in the USA is the Most Complicated Thing You Ever Did.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 08:12 pm
@JTT,
It does, we don't let trolls like you distract us for long.

Only long enough to amuse us.

BTW: thanks for the misdirection regarding The Language Instinct : Chapter Nine. You are full of ****.

Joe(and that, my friend, is strike two)Nation
neologist

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 08:19 pm
@Joe Nation,
Thank you, kind sir, My wife can start applying for Medicare in a month. In the meantime, it looks like a limp.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 08:36 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe(I act really sneaky when I'm scared shirtless of putting my foot in my mouth)Nation: BTW: thanks for the misdirection regarding The Language Instinct : Chapter Nine. You are full of ****.
---------

Please, Joe, go ahead and explain. If that truly was the case you know you would be all over it.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 01:05 am
@Joe Nation,
And yet you just can't ignore JTT.

Finn (thou protests too much) D'Abuzz
spendius

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 04:37 am
@JTT,
Quote:
No, actually I haven't, Spendi. I prefer to spend my time with people that are capable of thought.

What are you doing on here in that case?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 05:06 am
@JTT,
Quote:
Those are the equivalent of my patients and to ignore prescriptions and those who advance them would be like a doctor ignoring diseases.

I don't think a prescriptivist would choose that comparison. Comparing prescriptivism to disease is a bit circular. You win your bottom-line argument with a verbal flick-of-the-wrist and have to be assuming that your audience is dim.

Avoiding such things is the purpose of prescriptivism. I think you are conflating silly prescriptivism with the sensible type and then attacking both as one target. Medical prescription is standard practice derived from trial and error.

Most doctors are in the money game.
spendius

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 05:08 am
@JTT,
Quote:
Then my posts would appear thusly.

Only if you lack descriptive skills.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 07:21 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
You are absolutely right, Finn, it's a mistake I make, attempting to engage with people who are untouchable.

See Spendius' remarks to him/her regarding his/her modus operandi.

Joe(it's crystal clear)Nation
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 07:27 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
Earning a degree is a fairly complicated thing, have you ever done that?

Giving yourself pats on the back again Joe? Degrees are a piece of piss. I'll exclude maths and physics from that.

You're mistaken. I only asked if he/she had ever earned a degree. I didn't say that I had, but thank you for thinking that I might have.

I have lots and lots of hours, pretty close to a 100 I'm guessing, of completely unusable education.

Joe(and no degree)Nation
spendius

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 08:16 am
@Joe Nation,
I assumed, Joe, that if you knew that getting a degree is a fairly complicated thing you must have got one.

It's a piece of piss in most cases. The educational establishment concerned is on your side in order to enhance its reputation and sell the gear used in graduation ceremonies.

Some degrees can be purchased.

A first class honours degree in physics or maths is a very complicated thing I have been told by a few who had them.
JTT

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 08:27 am
@spendius,
I know from you remarks that you still simply do not understand.
JTT

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 08:36 am
@Joe Nation,
You asked a number of silly things, Joe, all designed to deflect attention away from the fact that you are clueless about language. That you can't offer anything to support the sad little tales you've obviously been misleading folks with for years.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 08:42 am
@Joe Nation,
You ought to get on your knees to thank Finn, Joe. He gave to the out you've been desperately seeking, running around like a chicken with its head cut off.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 08:49 am
@spendius,
Yeah, that's the way I saw it, mostly I took classes that interested me. Then other circumstances needed my attention. Suddenly, it seemed to me, thirty years had gone by.... .

One of my greatest pleasures is talking to Thomas who holds some sort of degree in Physics and who is generous in answering my questions.

We have a long running discussion, no pun intended, about whether running the Central Park Six Mile Loop in one direction takes exactly the same amount of energy as running it in the opposite direction. It's really fun.

Joe(Be well)Nation
JTT

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 08:51 am
@spendius,
S: I don't think a prescriptivist would choose that comparison.

You're unaware of the idiocies they do choose because you are unaware of the workings of language.

S: Comparing prescriptivism to disease is a bit circular. You win your bottom-line argument with a verbal flick-of-the-wrist and have to be assuming that your audience is dim.

Those that advance these silly notions about language are dim, exceedingly so. Joe is a dandy example. Try it, Spendi, try to defend one of your favorite rules.

You saw Joe, eyes all buggy, flailing away, saying nothing but desperately pretending he was saying something.
JTT

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 08:56 am
@Joe Nation,
Listen to Joe(could he possibly be any phonier)Nation, sucking up to Spendi and Finn like they are long lost friends.

Got a firm grasp on that sliver of straw, Joe?
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 09:20 am
@JTT,
Quote:
Got a firm grasp on that sliver of straw, Joe?

My grasp on any sliver of straw would be firmer than your supposed one of Chapter Nine of The Language Instinct.
Heh.
I've conversed with both Finn and Spendius on these pages for, gosh, years now. We don't always see eye to eye, but I'll say this: if the four of us were sitting in a pub and we were all buying rounds, I think I would think anything you sipped or said would be a waste of time.

Joe(Have a nice life)Nation

PS: To Finn and Spendius: anytime you're in NYC, guys. I'll get Frank to come and I'll alert the local authorities to be on guard. Heh.
spendius

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 09:49 am
@JTT,
I know from your remarks, JT, that you do understand and that it is very much to your credit.