Wed 26 Feb, 2020 12:41 pm
Okay, so I might be having a quarter-life crisis. Growing up, I never had a clear idea of who I wanted to be. I was a quiet kid; I never talked if I didn't have to and I never had much to add to any conversation. My whole life I have been indecisive and (mostly) unopinionated. All of this has led to me not having a clue what I'm doing with my life.
The one thing that has truly stuck out to me is photography. I love exploration and expressing how I see the world through that little lens. After I graduated from college, I decided to follow my passion for photography. I got a job working in a photo studio, which I still have today and for the most part it's great. I'm getting to do what I love and I'm getting to be creative, but my boss is a major pain and the hours are absolutely horrible. In the fall I sometimes work more than 7 days in a row, but in the winter I'm lucky to get even 2 days the entire week. Myself and most of the other photographers have to work a part-time job just to get by.
So this brings me to my search for a new, full-time position. I know I need to get out of this job, but the thought of doing something boring and mundane is soul-sucking. I've been applying for receptionist jobs, because those are easy enough, right? As much as I might hate it, I could sit at a desk and transfer calls and put on a happy face in return for a steady schedule and paycheck. I keep telling myself I could get by because I could photograph on the weekends.
So I've been applying. And applying. And yet more applying... So far only one company has called me in for an interview, and I didn't get it. Since I decided to follow my passions after college, I don't look like a great candidate on paper. I have no official office experience so most companies probably aren't even glancing at my application. Surprisingly, "I know I don't know how to do this, but I bet I could figure it out" doesn't go over too well in a professional environment.
So here I am, still applying, hoping that someone will give me a chance. But also, not really wanting most of the jobs I'm applying for. I feel like I'm numbly going through each day, just watching them tick on by. It's all very frustrating and I'm driving myself crazy, which has led me here.
I've never used this site before and I'm not even sure how it works. But if anyone out there has any advice or a similar story, I would love to hear it. I'm surrounded by good friends and family, but I don't think I've ever felt so alone. I'm not sure if this counts as a quarter-life crisis or not, but it sure seems like it.

jespah

Wed 26 Feb, 2020 03:49 pm
@CarolineElizabeth,
Why the hell aren't you looking for another photography job?

I've been a receptionist. You can sometimes get a lot of abuse from people coming into an office.

Now back to photography. Open your mind. There are a lot of kinds of photographers in the world. My cousin just takes pictures of race cars. Other people photograph babies, or weddings. Still others take pictures of executives, or industrial goods (think insurance photos of warehouses or photos showing off a new office space).

Cops, lawyers, and advertisers all use photographers.

You don't have to work for your jerky boss, and you don't have to give up a career you just might grow to love.
0 Replies

MelaNanny

Mon 28 Sep, 2020 11:23 pm
@CarolineElizabeth,
Hi Caroline, I hope you are doing well.
I am not an expert on these topics, but I am a student as you are, and I have felt the same as you. I know this isn´t about me, but I would like to help you.
It´s lovely you can do something you truly enjoy, and I wish you are still doing it. My advice to you is to be faithful, and trust good things are coming for you and your career. I hope by this time you have gotten a better job in which you can express yourself through the art of taking photos.
Regards.
0 Replies