What's the Most Complicated Thing You Ever Did?

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 11:18 am
@chai2,
I love it.

I'm so thick I had to watch it twice before I realized I was being put on.

Joe(Wait? How do they know the back didn't fall off the front?)Nation
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 11:20 am
@saab,
Genuine genius idea on the book.

I'm stealing it.

Joe(for a friend)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 11:25 am
@Rockhead,
Wow.

I hope the crews all got holiday pay.

Enjoyed that.

Joe(I have no idea why I enjoyed so much.)Nation
chai2

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 12:33 pm
@Joe Nation,
That was super cool Rocky.

I love when the concerts were going on. Flash Boom Bang!

It looked really complicated.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 05:12 pm
@Joe Nation,
So Joe I asked my Better Half, who is much smarter than I, and she replied, "Using the computer." But, I objected, how about getting a college education

To which she replied, "That's not considered so special,'cause nearly everybody does it."

"But complicated?" I asked.

"It wouldn't qualify," she explained, "'cause it's something you choose to do"

I wonder if a self-taught electronics career would seem complicated. I wrote a book once--though nobody was interested in publishing it, but I wonder if that might qualify. It didn't seem terribly complex at the time but it took a while
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 05:22 pm
For myself, its the book I am writing. Because it is semi autobiographical, I wrestle like Jacob with the angel, only longer. But that's not what I want to tell about.

Four or five years back, some people began building a house. As they got the walls all framed up and presumably plumb and straight, they moved in an old house next to it. Over the course of a few weeks, they raised then coaxed that old house on top of the new one. I was amazed that they made it work that smoothly and amazed still more that the finished home was a thing of beauty.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 05:35 pm
@Joe Nation,
we make a decent wage.

it's all covered by the union...

I am usually one of the guys responsible for hoisting all of it into the air and keeping it where we want it during the show. but I can also work any of the other stagehand positions when they don't need enough riggers to get to me.

it's a blast...
Rockhead

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 05:56 pm
I won't tie up joe's thread any more after this one, but the stage productions are my favorites to work...

(I thought wicked was involved until lion king came through)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdwOOuqV4xU
(a documentary aboot stagehands)

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 06:41 pm
I'm supposed to give away my secret forumla for being an under achiever?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 07:17 pm
@Joe Nation,
That got me to thinking about that famous line from Jaws, "You're going to need a bigger boat!"
chai2

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 07:21 pm
@Ragman,
Funny, I thought the same thing.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 07:33 pm
@Rockhead,
What a amazing amount of rigging.....lights, speakers, visual screens.....

The most complex set-up I was ever involved in was...... hmmm. Southern Hills Country Club, I forget what year. US OPEN ,,, ABC decided that they wanted camera(s) at every hole, not just the 12 through 18, no, no....EVERY hole, plus the usual two guy-three button shot booth. It was really fun. We (KTUL-TV TULSA) had our truck and we had ABC's truck both feeding the Grass Valley Switcher at the Station which then fed everything up to ABC in New York. I forget all the details now.....26 cameras on platforms, a bunch more with two-man crews remoting from different locations on the course.
....And we did the whole tournament from the first ball to the last putt. Epic.
KTUL broadcast all the coverage end to end. Every day. I was the station technical director dropping in all of the commercial breaks which meant I had to listen to the two announcers (I forget who those poor schmucks were....they were exhausted by Sunday.) to get cues as to when they were going to break.

it was an interesting week and weekend.
Joe(I stopped playing golf right after that weekend)Nation

And no other network has ever done that again.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 09:23 pm
@Joe Nation,
For all of you, learning to use language.
Ceili

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 10:39 pm
I taught myself how to use sketchup. I've now designed so many things.. My office and present house and yard remodels, w/ a pond and new garage. I've also done several ideas For my boler and I'm presently designing my earth house. It's my dream house and. It will be build out of sea containers, straw/cob etc. My dream hippie abode. but at the moment I'm quitting smoking and it's brutal!!!!
chai2

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 10:42 pm
@Ceili,
I thought you said you taught yourself to use ketchup. Shocked

Ceili

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 10:47 pm
@chai2,
Lol. Nope, it's a google version of CAD. I love it. I probably spend at minimum one hour a day designing stuff. I should have been an architect, except I'm. It that anal... Or is that engineers, lol.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 11:08 pm
@Ceili,
When I was stationed at Walker AFB in New Mexico, I bought an old Ford that I worked on myself. Back then, the engine was very simple, and easy to work with. I even changed the thermostat, did all the oil changes, and more or less kept it running. A bunch of guys in my squadron also helped me build a hi-fi turntable that worked the first time we put a 78 on it.

The bad thing is, I'm now hard of hearing. What did you say?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 07:12 am
@Ceili,
We, or at least me, wants to see the sketches of this earth house.

Meanwhile, hang in there on the smoke-free life, your hippieness depends on it.

Joe(spellcheck had a panic over that word)Nation Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 07:49 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

I love it.

I'm so thick I had to watch it twice before I realized I was being put on.

Joe(Wait? How do they know the back didn't fall off the front?)Nation

It didn't worry you when he said they towed it out of the environment and that they likely wouldn't make it out of cardboard?

IRFRANK

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 08:34 am
As a consultant I implemented manufacturing software systems. Managing the people and technology was complicated. Finally realized that determining the stake holder, usually owner, and what was important to them was most important. Success requires definition.