What's the Most Complicated Thing You Ever Did?

JTT

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 11:10 am
@Joe Nation,
It's on page one, possibly two. Observant little guy, aren't you?
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 11:17 am
@JTT,
Well, you did make me go back and waste my time looking, I supposed that's something, but really, it's not very complicated to get me to waste time.

Joe(like now)Nation
JTT

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 11:24 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe: but really, it's not very complicated to get me to waste time.

I know. I've read your lamentations.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 11:25 am
@Joe Nation,
And your "advice" on language.
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 11:32 am
@JTT,
So, nothing done by you in your life has been complicated. Okay. There are whole philosophies built upon having an uncomplicated life. Well done, sir or madam.
Quote:
And your "advice" on language.

This is an example of the misuse of quotation marks.

Joe(this is a humorous use of parentheses) Nation
jespah

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 12:05 pm
@gungasnake,
Ha, well done and lagomorph-friendly!
JTT

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 12:08 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe(I am a language dolt)Nation: This is an example of the misuse of quotation marks.

Says Joe(I am a language dolt)Nation.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 12:38 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
lagomorph-friendly!...

The girl actually had to think about that for five or six seconds, there was no other obvious explanation to be had....
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 01:24 pm
I must have had either better editors than you or better teachers or both. I know it's the shortcut now to use " " around any old thing, but here's how I learned what I think is a clearer use of quotation marks.

Use " " for actual speech, as in, you are quoting something someone said or wrote.
Use ' ' to denote irony or sarcasm.

She says "I am a vegetarian." usually with her mouth full of 'vegetarian' pepperoni pizza.

Isn't that clearer?

Yes or no.

Joe(If no, then why not?)Nation

JTT

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 01:39 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe(who was going socializing)Nation: I must have had either better editors than you or better teachers or both. I know it's the shortcut now to use " " around any old thing, but here's how I learned what I think is a clearer use of quotation marks.

//////////////////

That'd be great to see some of those sources, Joe.
Foofie

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 04:56 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Um. I'm as shy as they come until I find my comfort zone. (then I can be the wordiest on the planet.)

If you consider this or any of my threads too intrusive, you are not required to participate.

Joe[y](curious sort)Nation

Thank you for the release from participation duty.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 06:03 pm
@gungasnake,
Sounds like a good solution to me.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 09:33 pm
@JTT,
Yes or no.

Joe(If no, then why not?)Nation
JTT

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 07:29 am
@Joe Nation,
You don't have any sources, Joe? Just some vague recollection from some grade school grammar scholar??
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 09:02 am
@JTT,
Nope. No sources that I can find which is interesting, at least to me, because I know I started using the double quotes for speech and single quotes for irony or speciality a long time ago, though not as long ago as grammar school.
The only clue I can find is that single quotes are used in linguistics to indicate a particular use of a word. I do like reading about languages, I'm reading The Language Instinct at the present time.

I have a vague memory of discussing this years ago with one of the editors I was working with on a series of children's stories, but that's it.

I've asked you twice whether you think using the marks the way I have described leads to better clarity and you haven't answered. I expect you won't or, if you do, it will be in your inimitable caustic style.

Fire away.
Afterwards I intend to get back to the subject of this thread. You may continue to attempt to hijack it as is your wont.

Joe('love')Nation

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 09:15 am
@Joe Nation,
I use the single quotes your way, have for decades. I'm sure I picked it up in my magazine reading at some point.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 09:28 am
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
I have a vague memory of discussing this years ago with one of the editors I was working with on a series of children's stories, but that's it.

How discreet. Humbly placing little feathers in one's cap in such an understated manner. It's touching Joe.

Are there no factory workers on A2K? Such delicate mannerisms are rife on here. "One of my students" type of thing.

"When I was in the military" ranges from Bilko's motor pool to Audie Murphy storming a machine-gun nest with grenades in his teeth.

Understanding that sort of thing is one of the most complicated things one needs to manage and taking on Proust fixes it goodstyle.

A Million Ways to Preen Without Anybody Noticing should be a good book title for a cynic.

spendius

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 09:34 am
@spendius,
See farmerman for the first 2,000 to be arranged alphabetically later.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 09:34 am
@spendius,
Well, this is a thread that I warned in the OP could lead to bragging. Heh.

Quote:
A Million Ways to Preen Without Anybody Noticing should be a good book title for a cynic.

You should write this book, my friend, we've watched you puff and preen for years without taking any real notice.

Well done.

Joe(Yes, I have worked in jobs where my hands, face, feet and clothes got filthy every day)Nation

JTT

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 09:43 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe: I'm reading The Language Instinct at the present time.
--______

I had a sneaking suspicion you snuck it from there. Go to Ch 9, I think it is. If you can grasp it, it will illustrate for you how bonkers your "rules" are.