What's the Most Complicated Thing You Ever Did?

Foofie

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 01:22 pm
@Joe Nation,
By the way, Joey baby, do you consider yourself an introvert or an extrovert. In my opinion, you are very much the extrovert, since I believe you do not think it is intrusive in any way, to ask the personal question(s) that interest you. Meaning, extroversion loves interacting with humanity, and cannot really understand what makes an introvert tick. Am I correct? Introversion sounds like a handicap to you, rather than just another mode of existence?

This post I do not consider trolldom, but rather a way to understand how a poster can post a thread that some might consider too intrusive into their personal lives. In my older years, I am trying to empathize with the feelings of many a WASP.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 08:21 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
What's the Most Complicated Thing You Ever Did?

Tried to understand what the hell Dalehileman was talking about.
JTT

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 08:25 pm
@rosborne979,
You never did show much in the way of stickum, Ros. You run at the first sign of controversy.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 10:18 pm
Taught school. Sounds so simple...haha.

Wrote a state-approved manual for Home Providers of mentally ill clients.

Writing a screenplay.
Eva

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 01:08 am
I have this long-time friend/mentor who has a habit of getting me into projects I never expect. I'll tell you about a couple of them. The first one happened when I was in my early 20s and set me on a career path. The second happened when I was in my late 40s and made me realize how far I had come.

1. I produced an entire magazine (editing, photography, formatting, camera-ready art -- this was before computers -- and print supervision) single-handedly in three months with no training while holding down a separate full-time job. It also required me to learn photography and darkroom skills (another lost art.)

2. While producing an elaborate catalog for a wholesale firm that imports decorative home accessories, I found myself doing product naming while I was staying with two Dutch girls in their apartment in France, emailing hundreds of English product names back to my Turkish clients in Oklahoma using the girls' computer which had a Belgian keyboard.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 02:03 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Taught school.

very simple... heh.

My sister pioneered work in the bathing of mentally disturbed clients. I read part of the manual she wrote (including apparatus she helped design) Very moving to watch videos of the process.

Writing a sceenplay is easy.
You think of all the words you know and then just forget all the ones that don't fit the story.

Joe(there. That's done.)Nation
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 02:10 am
@Eva,
You make me smile so much.

Was it naming as in "The Riviera Collection of Brass Towel Rings" or naming the actual object, as in 'Braided Twist', Braided Twist Chrome' ..... ?

I was always fascinated by the names of paint colors and who the heck names them? What do they do. lay out a bunch of paint chips and say "Okay, who has a name for these six beiges.

"Um... Sand Dawn, Coastal, Pebble Shell.... . "

Joe(Shoot me now)Nation

roger

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 02:11 am
@Joe Nation,
Riiight. And just chip away every thing that doesn't look like a statue.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 02:13 am
@roger,
Isn't that how's it done?

And when you paint a portrait, you just draw the eyes and then carry on putting on the paint or whatever.

Joe(I don't see what the fuss is about)Nation
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 02:39 am
@Joe Nation,
It's amazing to see t his sort of thing, but it's nothing new. Shipbuilders, and even mariners at sea have been doing this literally for centuries. In 1742, George Anson had sailed across the Pacific from the coast of Mexico to the island of Tinian. He had stopped there to get fresh fruit and vegetables for his crew, who ere suffering badly from scurvy. There was not a protected anchorage, and while the crew were recuperating, a storm blew Anson's ship away from the island. Anson set about to lengthen a bark (a small, two-masted vessel) which had been captured when they had arrived at the island. The bark would have taken about 30 men with supplies and some livestock, but Anson had over 100 men on the island. They not only were able to cut the small vessel in half an lengthen it, but they had to cut the timber, shape and trim it, and they had to dig a saw-pit to do that. They also dug a trench and a dry-dock to put the vessel in, in order to add the new section. They accomplished all of this with just the crew, a crate of carpenter's tools, and the supervision of the remaining officers. Luckily for all concerned, although badly undermanned, Anson's ship, Centurion, managed to "beat" back to the island against the prevailing winds. The newly enlarged bark was abandoned (although it had been nearly ready to sail) and Anson sailed for China.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 07:09 am
@Setanta,
You're absolutely right about those men and their wooden ships. I love the story of the Sea Venture and her sailors. I don't have to remind you, but others here might not have heard the story.
I listened to "The Wreck that Saved Jamestown" while I was running a few years so my details might be shaky.

The Sea Venture was the lead vessel of a convoy on it's way to Jamestown to bring supplies and more settlers. There was a storm and she ended up beached on a reef in the Bermudas.
Everybody and a dog made it to shore.
I guess there is no better place to shipwrecked than a lush island with fresh water and wild pigs, because over the next nine months they built TWO ships which they then loaded up with fruit and vegetables and a lot of salt pork (from those wild pigs) and sailed almost everybody to Jamestown. (some died, some just stayed behind)
They actually had more food on board when they left Bermuda than when they left England.
Wow, right?
But there's more.
When they got there, Jamestown was on the edge of starvation with only 50 people still alive. So, they fed everybody. It was a mess.

I forget how long they stayed, a month or so maybe, they all decide to quit. They bury the cannons and other goods, everybody gets on the ships to go home to England, they sail down the James River.........only to meet the next convoy coming to Jamestown. coming up the river. If they had left the day before or even a few hours before the ships would have missed seeing each other.
Hoorah.
But there's more!
There still isn't enough food, so they send one of the ships they built in Bermuda back to Bermuda to get more supplies. (Their captain died in Bermuda on the mission so the next in command decided "The hell with this." and sailed back to England.

Which is where Shakespeare heard the story of the shipwreck and wrote "The Tempest." based on the adventure (sort of, no wood sprites were reported on Bermuda. too bad)

But there's more !!
Guess who was on the original ship, the Sea Venture, and made it to Virginia after his wife and child had died in Bermuda??~~~ John Rolfe~~ yup, the guy who married Pocahontas....

AND
I have reason to believe that my crossing ancestor was on one of the ships they met on the James.

I've known some pretty good carpenters in my life, my grandfather and his brother really did build the house where my mother and sibs grew up. My father's father was a carpenter and so were all my father's brothers. (He was sheetmetal man who made propellers.) I wonder, if we put them all on a forested island , along with a few boatwrights from Maine and their handtools, if they could make in ten months, two ships big enough to carry 100 or so people and supplies and sail across the sea.

Thanks for listening.
Joe(now I have to have some breakfast)Nation
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 10:45 am
@Foofie,
Um. I'm as shy as they come until I find my comfort zone. (then I can be the wordiest on the planet.)

If you consider this or any of my threads too intrusive, you are not required to participate.

Joe[y](curious sort)Nation
IRFRANK

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 10:47 am
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
I wonder, if we put them all on a forested island , along with a few boatwrights from Maine and their handtools, if they could make in ten months, two ships big enough to carry 100 or so people and supplies and sail across the sea.

I wonder if we put all the usual suspects here, on an island, if any ships would get built.
JTT

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 10:52 am
@JTT,
Don't believe me? Try explaining any of your posts. And no, Lash, not the nonsense you teach kids now.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 10:57 am
@Joe Nation,
The first French settlement in North America was on an island near what we now call Hilton Head. That was about 1562, i believe. The captain who had left them there was late in returning, so they cut down trees, sawed out planks and built a sloop, in which they sailed back to France. There they met their captain and told him not to bother.

Them old time sailormen were pretty resourceful dudes.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 11:02 am
Most complicated thing I've done (as Poor Old Spike) is to post this bunch of photos around the net over several years and they've had about 5 million views so far..Smile

WW2 MIXED BAG
http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?104031-WW2-Photos

WW2 AIRCRAFT
http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewforum&f=92

1920's/30's AIRCRAFT
http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&t=16352

WW1 AIRCRAFT
http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&t=16323
Lash

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 11:43 am
@Eva,
Eva! Wow! Your experience is fascinating, and mind-boggling. Props to you for meeting such a compelling, interesting challenge.

Joe, thanks for my first laugh this morning. Trying to pick David out of a block of granite.

Fitting a true-ish story into a film format, giving deference to creative ideas that hold an audience's interest, and streamlining cherry-picked events into a cohesive narrative.... well, it's almost as hard as teaching. Muahaha.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 12:10 pm
@dlowan,
,,, likely wouldn't make it out of cardboard was my first clue.

Joe( I did love the guy's sense of certainty)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 12:14 pm
@IRFRANK,
Good thing to learn that.

Yep, 'tis true, always do what the boss wants done first, even if the ship is sinking and you are the only one manning the pumps, if the boss says there a need for a cup of tea to be made, you make the cup of tea.

Joe(might be a little watery, but hey)Nation
JTT

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2014 12:18 pm
@Ceili,
Sketchup is amazing, Ceili. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Are you using the free one or did you buy the Pro version?
0 Replies