Anyone here have any friendly advice about getting started as a work-from-home transcriptionist?

Fri 23 Aug, 2019 07:36 pm
Hi. I got my transcription headphones I ordered online in the mail and I am waiting to get started working as a work-from-home transcriptionist.

Anyone here have any friendly advice about getting started as a work-from-home transcriptionist?

Does anyone here know anything about working as a work-from-home transcriptionist?

My older sister suggested to me a while ago that I should work as one. It's easy work and it requires little or no experience to get started.

I've watched this lady's video online:

I've been to her site:

https://theworkathomewife.com/

I emailed the lady with questions. She helped me figure out what transcription headphones to get. She gave me some advice about getting started. She told me to go here:

https://theworkathomewife.com/transcription-jobs-home/ and here:

https://workathomemomrevolution.com/work-at-home-transcription/how-to-pass-your-general-transcription-employment-test/.

She talks about headphones here:

https://theworkathomewife.com/transcription-equipment/

She said I don't need to concern myself with getting a foot pedal right now and other transcription equipment. She said I can get that stuff later on down the road, after I start making money.

She told me whatever transcription company I sign up with and contract with will provide me with transcription software I need or tell me where to download free transcription software.

I welcome any friendly advice anyone may have about getting started as a work-from-home transcriptionist.

Please help- thank you.

maxdancona

Fri 23 Aug, 2019 07:48 pm
@JGoldman10,
Do they still have work-from-home transcriptionists?

I thought most of this work was done by robot now.
JGoldman10

Fri 23 Aug, 2019 09:01 pm
@maxdancona,
Yes they still have them. Did you go to any of the links I posted? Go on YouTube, Dailymotion or Metacafe or some other video sharing sites and look up "work-from-home transcriptionists". Or Google or Bing this.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Fri 23 Aug, 2019 09:41 pm
@maxdancona,
You've heard of read people say "Google is your friend"?:

https://www.google.com/search?q=work+from+home+transcription+jobs&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS712US712&oq=work+from+home+transc&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0j69i61l3.7007j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

There's dozens of links to work-from-home transcription jobs there at this link.

You're welcome.
maxdancona

Fri 23 Aug, 2019 09:43 pm
@JGoldman10,
I am a little skeptical about how much money you can make. It seems like they have AI that can do most of this work. It's nice work if you can get it.

I don't believe every advertisement on the internet that promises me easy money from home.

Good for you if you can make it work.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 24 Aug, 2019 01:44 am
@JGoldman10,
You do this a lot, ask a question then give an answer. I'm sure the lady in the video who you've emailed knows considerably more about the subject than anyone here.
JGoldman10

Sat 24 Aug, 2019 02:23 pm
@izzythepush,
No one here answered the question. What are you talking about?
Sturgis

Sat 24 Aug, 2019 02:39 pm
@JGoldman10,
YOU answered the question when you posted the weblinks above!
chai2

Sat 24 Aug, 2019 02:42 pm
So, let me get this straight.

You went and bought these headphones online before you've actually explored if anyone will even use you? Have ever transcriped anything that someone is saying?

There are a number of voice recognition software out there that will automatically transcribe what is said into text. Even your phone can do that.

What is your typing speed? Accuracy? Knowledge of grammar? Are you able to work accurately under tight deadlines?

Do you think that if you are listening to a recording and transcribing what is said, regardless of the persons diction, speed, accent etc are all going to be easily understood that you can listen and type at the pace of the deadline they need their work back?

If this type of work, according to your links, is so easy, and so many jobs are out there, why isn't everyone doing it? Including your sister.

Look at the website Mechanical Turk. They have various tasks of all sorts, including transcription work, that pay per item rates (small amounts) where you can look to see if this is something you can do. You can learn about Mechanical Turk and how it works yourself.

Personally I think it was a bad move for you to spend a dime on anything until you had some kind of possibility of real work that you qualify for. Then you could just go out and buy what you need.

I hope you kept the receipt.

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Sat 24 Aug, 2019 09:00 pm
My SIL put two kids thru college by transcribing for a group of Drs.

She took medical terminology classes at the local community college. She’s an excellent typist.
JGoldman10

Sun 25 Aug, 2019 11:05 am
@PUNKEY,
Okay, but did she work from home? Was this before commercialized internet access came about?

Thank you for responding, by the way.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Sun 25 Aug, 2019 11:09 am
@Sturgis,
No, I didn't. Did you not read the topic question?:

Keywords: "friendly advice about getting started".

I did not answer the question by giving myself advice about how to get started as a work-from-home transcriptionist.
izzythepush

Sun 25 Aug, 2019 11:15 am
@JGoldman10,
Like I said, the lady in the youtube video seems to know more about the subject than anyone here, and you've already contacted her.

Try asking her.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Sun 25 Aug, 2019 12:42 pm
@JGoldman10,
It seems that you have received better information from a professional transcriptionist than what you'll receive here on a general forum.

I mean, a transcriptionist is a very uncommon career choice, so I doubt there are many here who are trained transcriptionists.
0 Replies

chai2

Sun 25 Aug, 2019 05:38 pm
You know goldman, you're going to need to be a little less snotty when responding to people here.

All this "did you not read...."
"you're welcome"
"google is your friend" which is a real laugh anyway as this is pretty much what everyone has told you on a number of topics.

Seriously, it's not like we are here at your beck and call. Nor is anyone obligated to not post on one of your threads because it doesn't meet some artbitrary standards you have.

Quite frankly, it doesn't appear that you're a roaring success in any aspect of your life. The people who respond to you are financially stable, or manage their finances adequately, and have actual relationships with others. We're alsoi not going off half cocked in 10 different directions. Nor are we starting judgemental threads about our own personal preferences as to others anatomy or asking the same dumb ass question ad nauseum.

In a nutshell, why don't you grow up already? From what I can surmise, you're 40 year old, or thereabouts. How about if you start acting like it, rather than like a 14 year old boy.

Great. You bought your headphones, you present all these links about how easy this job is.....So go out and f*cking do it already.

Christ on a crutch. I'm an old retired woman, and I've got at least 4 active income streams I work at. I'm fixing to add another one soon. Do you see me asking questions about every little move I make? No. I research, educate myself in appropriate ways, and take action. Get off your ass and just do something already.

As someone near and dear to me says "You can dish it out, but you sure can't take it."

It's totally fine for you to be snotty, snippy, demanding and downright dense, but if someone says something that doesn't meet you're approval, you're the first one to whine like a little bitch.
Sturgis

Sun 25 Aug, 2019 06:07 pm
@chai2,
Or as I've said to people, 'either crap your guts out or get off the pot, there's a line forming outside '

It's high time for Goldman to get to crapping.
chai2

Mon 26 Aug, 2019 03:04 am
@Sturgis,
So right.

My best friend, the one who lives in San Miguel had to (lovingly) get a wake up call from me awhile back.

He was looking to do something as a small business. Since his Espanol es no bueno beyond his day to day activities, he was concentrating on something he could do for/sell to American/Canadian tourits.

At some point he settled on handmade, high quality candles. As an aside, internally I thought "Yeesh. Candles?" But that's just because my brain always goes off in boringly practical directions. As he talked about it, and what he had seen locally, it did seem there would be a market for it among gringos.

For the next 6 or 8 months, he researched different waxes, scents, containers. On a visit he made back to his home state, he even got some pointers from an old neighbor, who ran this type of business online (at a decent profit) out of her home. He watched her making them, how she marketed, etc. Internet sales though, aren't big in Mexico. At least not at this time. There's a lack of trust (I wouldn't say undeserved) in getting the product you buy, plus it's very much a cash society.

Anyway, he wanted to keep it local. In all those months he did a lot of research, and also felt out the market on where he could sell his product, sources of materials, feeling out an appropriate name, and so much more.
In fact, he did everything....except make any candles. When we talked I asked if he should make a few and sell some at the ubiquitous weekend festivals that attracted a lot of tourists. That started him down the road of outdoor kiosks, tents, tables, and on and on.

Finally I said "C! Look at that guy over on Sterling Dickenson who sells paella every day out of the trunk of his car! He's been doing that for years (he's got a lot of customers) and all he has is a spot on a side street, a cooler full of product, and a sign he writes out on posterboard where he crosses out selections as he sells out. You can start off selling your stuff off the tailgate of your Durango over at the Parroquia. This is San Miguel, not Silicon Valley. Faced with the reality of actually Doing something, within a week he never mentioned candles again. Fortunately, he got into something he already knows a lot about, and is a lot more lucrative.

Yeesh. Candles.
0 Replies