Do You Know What Time It Is? Time For The A2K NFL Pick-Um Game!

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 06:23 pm
Yes, for a 10th season, folks on A2k - regardless of their knowledge of the game - can participate in a contest involving picking the winning teams in NFL games. It doesn't matter whether you know one end of a football from the other or whether you understand what a tight end is. You, yes you, can still play!
I am Johnboy from Virginia. I have hosted this little amusement for pretty much the whole stretch. I have been fortunate to have received needed help for the past few seasons as I have grown older and the number of players has grown larger.
We play a game, pretending to be interested in games that we may not be.

Watch this topic for details.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 68,774 • Replies: 1,412

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 07:38 pm
@realjohnboy,
We're watching you, Johnboy. Be very aware - -

(signing in, or is that up?)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 07:46 pm
Well, the NSA certainly is anyways.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 07:54 pm
That time already? Time do fly.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 05:21 am
Is the NSA playing this game? Or at least watching this topic? If so, hi, Dan!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 05:35 am
Waves to the watchers.

Geaux Saints!!!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 06:23 am
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
number of players has grown larger.

I'm on a diet, I swear it!

Count me in!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 06:29 am
@realjohnboy,

i'm prolly in...
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 09:03 am
I have my first three picks ready:

Patriots -- W
Giants -- L
Jets -- L
Ragman

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 09:20 am
@George,
First game: Pats W
NYJ L
Fins W

I got seasonal predictions for my Pats to go 9-6 (good for 1st place)...but hoping for better. I see Miami as probably the only competitive team in AFC East. Jets are a butt-fumble away from 7-9 or 6-10, at best.

With Pats, I just can't tell what's up with them with unknown-quality and quantity of TE or offensive stars who's going to be Brady's fave targets. Do I need to repeat that there's no Wes Welker? They do have a good RB with Ridley and Vereen. However, they need the pressure off the run game that having 2 top-notch TEs offers.

Meathead...err ...ahh ... I mean Gronk's status : "He's on the physically unable to perform list now, which could possibly be extended into the regular season."
Ragman

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 09:43 am
@Ragman,
and...as for the Buffalo Bills...they are unpredictable and are an unknown quality to me, but I feel their fans deserve a better team as they've hung in with them come rain-or-shine.
Ragman

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 09:59 am
@Ragman,
EJ Manuel struggled to begin camp. Then there's the specter of veteran Kevin Kolb...

Meh!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 10:20 am
I'm here .... ready to claim Spendi's crown!!!
George

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 11:18 am
@Ticomaya,
Actually, CowDoc won last year. (I didn't remember, I looked it up.)

But I think the championship should be hereafter called "Spendi's Crown".
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 03:15 pm
@George,
Yes, indeed. The Sage of Salmon nipped Osso in the last week of the season.
I hope the Cowdoc's will join us again this year.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 04:41 pm
@realjohnboy,
http://site.escapadedirect.com/blog2/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/DSC00028.JPG

hats + rings + toss
Ragman

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 05:15 pm
@ehBeth,
In the infamous words of the Poppy family, ...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 06:21 pm
I spent a little too much time today designing the form I will use this year: 24 columns...precisely 3/8" in width, with a broad vertical line separating each group of three players. The hope is that this will help me from recording picks and results in the wrong columns. 18 rows - one for each game plus the tie breaking score and one that I am sure I will use for something.
An employee looked over my shoulder and gently suggested that she could put it on the computer. I am sure she is correct but, damn it, my form looks so damn spiffy!
I am reminded of the old guys at baseball games who kept meticulous scorecards. The best of them recorded each pitch: ball/strike; high/low; inside/outside.
Now there are these glitzy scoreboards. No need to watch the players on the field. Watch the scoreboard.

In other news, I regret to inform you that Coin Toss/Coin Toss will be back. I thought we were rid of the obnoxious little twit. CT notes that there are so many players who are inclined to make picks from the heart...

Week #1 schedule will appear shortly for your consideration.

Ragman

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 06:30 pm
@realjohnboy,
I'm sure someone must have mentioned it before, but why not put the guesses for each weekly contest in a simple spreadsheet app or an even simpler table? Surely using MS Excel is overkill but something like this could work...http://www.kingsoftstore.com/spreadsheets-free.html

People's names would not change (for the most part) only their guesses.

Why not a multi-column table that is coded? Oh, there's the natty problem of how it might appear on A2K. Well, maybe it can posted elsewhere and linked (like we do with images)?

I'm trying, I tell 'ya.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 2 Aug, 2013 07:09 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
I got seasonal predictions for my Pats to go 9-6 (good for 1st place)...

Ummm...that should have been written 9-7.
I'm not going to hedge and say maybe 10-6.