Ha! It's Back! RealJohnBoy's A2K NFL "Pick-Um" Game!

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 03:27 pm
Yes, indeed. This will be our 7th season playing this - going all the way back to the Fall of 2004.
It is really simple to play. All you have to do is guess the winning teams in the NFL games each week. No registration is needed here or on Yahoo or ESPN. No vast knowledge (or even superficial knowledge) of professional football is needed.
Participation can take as little as 5 minutes a week. How easy is that?

Watch this space this weekend for details on playing and, perhaps, comments from folks who have played in the past.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 108,445 • Replies: 2,344

djjd62

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 03:30 pm
the detroit lions will win the superbowl, defeating the baltimore ravens by a score of 5 - 2
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 03:31 pm
@realjohnboy,
do i have to be in this from the start, cause i'm gonna be unplugged and up north for a week or so (back on line on the 9th)
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 03:32 pm
@realjohnboy,
Seventh season, we're maturing....

Maybe I'm not. I fail to remember how well or horribly I've done from year to year.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 03:36 pm
@djjd62,
Not to answer for rjb, but to answer quickly, no, you don't. Though of course you can do your list pre-leaving for vacation. Some portion of our choices are slaphappy guessing anyway, even for the more astute.

edit -
Just caught that you are leaving tomorrow. I think season starts Sept 7 at gametime, which is before-which-you-need-to-post for that first week. But you can still play even if you miss that.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 04:11 pm
Here is the schedule for Week #1:
>Thursday, 9/9:
Minnesota @ New Orleans
>Sunday, 9/12, early games:
Cleveland @ Tampa Bay
Miami @ Buffalo
Cincinnati @ New England
Carolina @ NY Giants
Detroit @ Chicago
Atlanta @ Pittsburgh
Oakland @ Tennessee
Denver @ Jacksonville
Indianapolis @ Houston
>Sunday, 9/12, late games:
Arizona @ St Louis
Green Bay @ Philadelphia
San Francisco @ Seattle
>Sunday, 9/12, night:
Dallas @ Washington
>Monday night, 9/13, early:
Baltimore @ NY Jets
>Monday night, 9/13, late:
San Diego @ Kansas City (+ final score)

Deadline for ALL games is before the 1st game on 9/9. Please be sure to pick all of the games and include your guess as to the final score in the last game.
Thanks.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 04:12 pm
@realjohnboy,
Oops, goofed: the 9th.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 04:13 pm
WEEK 1

Thu, Sep 09
MIN @ NO

Sun, Sep 12
CLE @ TB
MIA @ BUF
CIN @ NE
CAR @ NYG
DET @ CHI
ATL @ PIT
OAK @ TEN
DEN @ JAC
IND @ HOU
ARI @ STL
GB @ PHI
SF @ SEA
DAL @ WAS

Mon, Sep 13
BAL @ NYJ
SD @ KC
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 04:15 pm
So that is the schedule you would see each week. You would post here with your picks:
N.O.
T.B
etc, down through
SD (27) - KC (14).

If you want to use a screen name beyond your A2K one, you can. I, for example, am the Rappin' Rednecks.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 04:37 pm
Rules and things:
We post the schedule on Tuesday for the following week and players are supposed to make ALL of their picks before the start of the 1st game. The Thursday night game left us with a very narrow window that was not real convenient for some. I tried going to putting up the schedule on Sunday afternoon, but that led to some confusion. I modified the rule such that players could just pick the Thursday game and then come back before kickoff on Sunday to pick up the rest.

I would like to try again with posting the schedule on Sunday (in this case, Week #2 would appear on the Sunday of Week #1).

Remember that you can change your picks at anytime up to the start of the 1st game of the "weekend." I do ask that you kind of shout that out so I can be sure to see it.
I have been running this for most of the previous 6 years. I did tend to change or bend rules for awhile, but I am much more strict lately as to getting picks in on time unless we hear a compelling story. A hurricane in Houston worked.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 04:43 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62: I have Matthew Stafford on my Fantasy Football team roster. He could be good if he can get his INT's down.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 06:23 pm
SCORING:
The winner each week is determined by dividing the number of correct picks by the number of games picked.
A cumulative score for the season uses the same equation. The nice thing there is that a player is not penalized for inadvertently leaving out a game or having to even miss out on a week if the need arises.
At some point in the season, though, I can drop a player from the cumulative standings if participation drops off.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 06:44 pm
HISTORY: Kickycan in NYC started this in the Fall of 2004. We had all of 6 players in an A2K where sports was of little interest. I took over mid-season and have been running it since. Except in year 4 when JPB in Chicago ran the whole thing for a year. She ran it well but has never talked to me since.

This sucker has grown and grown. In the 2008-2009 season we got to 22 regular players each week. I thought that would be about it, but last year we had 27 players.
I see that a number of players from last year don't appear to be on A2K anymore.
27 could be hard to match.
But I invite you all to play. You might be surprised at who ends up here. There are folks who have many other interests. There are people who don't necessarily get along well on other threads. Everyone is welcome.
Let me know by posting here if you think you might be interested in joining. I can tentatively assign you a column on my scorecard.
Ask any questions you want about how the game is played.
Thanks and good night.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 07:20 am
@realjohnboy,

i am in.
i am so totally and completely in.
i am in... i am so very in...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 08:09 am
@realjohnboy,
I'll take a column, rjb. Thanks for your efforts in cat herding. I know Cowdoc is traveling soon (or now...) but I think he/they are planning on playing.
jespah

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 08:09 am
@realjohnboy,
I'm in.
Week #1:
Minnesota @ New Orleans MIN
Cleveland @ Tampa Bay CLE
Miami @ Buffalo BUF
Cincinnati @ New England NE
Carolina @ NY Giants CAR
Detroit @ Chicago CHI
Atlanta @ Pittsburgh PIT
Oakland @ Tennessee TN
Denver @ Jacksonville JVILLE
Indianapolis @ Houston INDY
Arizona @ St Louis AZ
Green Bay @ Philadelphia PHILA
San Francisco @ Seattle SEA
Dallas @ Washington DAL
Baltimore @ NY Jets BALT
San Diego @ Kansas City KC, 17 - 7

Thank you.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 09:18 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Here is the schedule for Week #1 - ALONG WITH EACH TEAM'S RECORD FOR 2009-2010. I don't know if that will be at all useful.
>Thursday, 9/9:
Minnesota (12-4) @ New Orleans (13-3)
>Sunday, 9/12, early games:
Cleveland (5-11) @ Tampa Bay (3-13)
Miami (7-9) @ Buffalo (6-10)
Cincinnati (10-6) @ New England (10-6)
Carolina (8-8) @ NY Giants (8-8)
Detroit (2-14) @ Chicago (7-9)
Atlanta (9-7) @ Pittsburgh (9-7)
Oakland (5-11) @ Tennessee (8-8)
Denver (8-8) @ Jacksonville (7-9)
Indianapolis (14-2) @ Houston (9-7)
>Sunday, 9/12, late games:
Arizona (10-6) @ St Louis (1-15)
Green Bay (11-5) @ Philadelphia (11-5)
San Francisco (8-8) @ Seattle (5-11)
>Sunday, 9/12, night:
Dallas (11-5) @ Washington (4-12)
>Monday night, 9/13, early:
Baltimore (9-7) @ NY Jets (9-7)
>Monday night, 9/13, late:
San Diego (13-3) @ Kansas City (4-12)

Ragman

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 09:42 am
@realjohnboy,
Count me in. looking forward to it.

My off-the-wall prediction...a repeat of last yrs opponent in SB
Colts and Saints
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 10:20 am
I'm in, as always.

I will make my picks after consulting with experts, analyzing each teams strengths and weaknesses, examing the scouting reports, and talking to other players.

After I do all that, I will simply consult my magic 8 ball and give you my best guess.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 11:12 am
I will likely participate. I always wipe the floor with the competition. Hope no one holds grudges.
0 Replies