Christian QB erases Steelers

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 07:16 am
Over the past three or four weeks I've been getting progressively more disgusted with the shit4brains sportscasters telling the world how Tim Tebow has done as much as anybody could with his "very limited skill set" but had no real hope against playoff quality teams.....

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2830411/posts?page=51

I mean, the guy just turned in the best performance anybody has this year against the Steeler defense. In fact, there are interesting similarities between Tebow and Roethlisberger i.e. both large and strong enough to sustain hits from NFL linemen and linebackers without much fear of damage and it's that fear which causes most other QBs in the league to screw up and throw the occasional really bad pass...

Tebow is the stronger and more heavily built of the two. He has a rifle arm, is accurate and getting more accurate and when he pulls the ball down and runs, it's more or less like having one of your better fullbacks running with the ball. He has no fear of running for yardage rather than for survival nor is there any evidence he needs any (fear) and, on top of all that, if there's anything he needs to know about quarterbacking which he didn't learn at Miami, he has the team president, John Elway there to tell him about it.

All of that's on top of being a highly motivational player and if there's a down side to the picture I've no idea what it would be.

I mean, on top of everything else, the pass which sent the Steelers packing amounted to a tightrope shot to one of the two or three fastest people on the field running at top speed across his field of view, something like 25 - 30 yards from his own body and hitting him perfectly in stride...

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 9,403 • Replies: 63

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 12:55 pm
@gungasnake,

he earned himself a cool $250,000 bonus with yesterday's win...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 12:58 pm
@gungasnake,
Lemme start off by saying that Tebow had a great game and played very, very well.

But this -

Quote:
Tebow is the stronger and more heavily built of the two. He has a rifle arm, is accurate and getting more accurate

Is pure bullshit. He does not have a rifle arm - his throwing motion prevents that - and he's not very accurate. His numbers this season have been not that great overall.

I should also point out that Tebow played for the Florida Gators, not Miami.

None of this has anything to do with his religion in the slightest, so I don't know why you chose to highlight that in your title... if you want to see a great Christian QB, you should be talking about Aaron Rodgers.

Cycloptichorn
Rockhead

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 01:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
but he doesn't kneel and tebow for the crowd...

how can he be a christian?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 01:09 pm
@gungasnake,
Tebow sucks, until he doesn't.

I watched some of the whole game, mostly in the second half, and he threw a whole bunch of really bad passes. Like, "this dude is in the NFL???" passes.

He got a great one when he needed it, and yes it was great (though the receiver's stiff-arm and the defenders' missed opportunities had a lot to do with it).

But for most of the time I was watching I was thinking how really, really bad Tebow was.
Fido

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 01:17 pm
@sozobe,
The lawds work is never dun; unless some one does it...
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 01:36 pm
There are all kinds of QB's in the NFL who are less than consistent. Tebow wins a few and loses a few. He is doing fine this year...he may tank next year. The reason everyone is all blown up is because Tebow is so open about his faith. It just rubs people the wrong way. He talks and ESPN listens. It has been that way since he played at Florida. My husband would get so exasperated with the talking heads because of their rants over Tebow.

People just like to smack him around because he keeps being offensive with his blatant christianity. Sorry little son of a gun.
Fido

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 04:17 pm
@mismi,
mismi wrote:

There are all kinds of QB's in the NFL who are less than consistent. Tebow wins a few and loses a few. He is doing fine this year...he may tank next year. The reason everyone is all blown up is because Tebow is so open about his faith. It just rubs people the wrong way. He talks and ESPN listens. It has been that way since he played at Florida. My husband would get so exasperated with the talking heads because of their rants over Tebow.

People just like to smack him around because he keeps being offensive with his blatant christianity. Sorry little son of a gun.
MSU's q back was like that... There were times I yelled at the bug light loud enough for the neighbors to hear that he should close his effin Bible and play ball... Too many able and talented people count on God to make the big plays... I think it is so they can lay off a little of the blame with the credit...
gungasnake

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 04:41 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Tebow is accurate on longer balls now and will get accurate on the nfl style shorter and cuter throws. He's got Elway to teach him all that stuff and all the other stuff Tebow brings to the table is stuff you can't teach. You can't teach being lean and hard at 6-5/240 or needing no fear of nfl linemen.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 05:05 pm
@Fido,
I wasn't saying he was wrong to be doing what he was doing. He has become famous because people hate or love that he believes so strongly. It is offensive to some - heroic to others. He just is who he is. At least I hope he is living by his conscience. If that is the case then I say he is successful regardless of whether he is making the plays or not.

sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 05:13 pm
@mismi,
I think the objection is less his belief than the weird ostentation of the whole thing.

Andrew Sullivan has had a series of posts about this, I like this one (and not just because he's praising Aaron Rodgers in it! Smile ) (Hard to format, will put the reader's post first and then Sullivan's response:)

one of Andrew Sullivan's readers wrote:
Re: your post on Tim Tebow. You might be interested in this quote from Aaron Rodgers, a more established quarterback who won last year's Super Bowl and is likely to be this year's Most Valuable Player:

Quote:
"I feel like my stance and my desire has always been to follow a quote from St. Francis of Assisi, who said, 'Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words.' So basically, I'm not an over-the-top, or an in-your-face kind of guy with my faith. I would rather people have questions about why I act the way I act, whether they view it as positive or not, and ask questions, and then given an opportunity at some point, then you can talk about your faith a little bit. I firmly believe, just personally, what works for me, and what I enjoy doing is letting my actions speak about the kind of character that I want to have, and following that quote from St. Francis.'"

Andrew Sullivan wrote:
Perfectly put. And it illustrates the difference between a quiet Christianity and a noisy, self-aggrandizing Christianism. I should say again: I have no problem with Tebow expressing his faith so openly as a citizen. As a Christian, it seems, well, un-Christian.

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2011/12/tim-tebow-and-christianism-ctd.html
mismi

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 05:25 pm
@sozobe,
I agree - I do think folks are unhappy that he is being so open with his belief. They don't like to see it - it makes them uncomfortable. The reason there is such a big deal about it is that the media has the camera on him. I can't know what he's like all of the time -except that he's always been that way - as long as I have known of him. Sounds more like a personality type than someone who is trying to self-aggrandize. He gets a lot of criticism for it as well.

I like what Aaron Rodgers has to say. But different people express themselves in different ways. I don't think it's fair to say someone is un-Christian because they are more expressive than others.

I am extremely uncomfortable when I go to church with my friends and people are raising their hands. Totally bizarre to me. But - I know the folks and they are sincere. It is just not my cup of tea.

I go to a church where we are quiet. We don't clap or raise our hands. It's a preference. But it does not make me a better Christian than my friends - if that distinction could even be made.
sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 05:56 pm
@mismi,
"Don't like to see it" doesn't seem quite right to me. I'm not religious but have no problem with religious display per se -- I've gone to many churches (and other places of worship) with friends and family. Fine with seeing it.

It's the football context that's jarring, and especially the "thank you for granting MY prayer to get a touchdown, God, that was nice of you" aspect. Just seems really self-aggrandizing and lends itself to stuff like this thread.

I don't totally agree with this one but seems apropos:

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw4v6eE2qM1qd5giho1_500.jpg
mismi

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 05:59 pm
@sozobe,
I see your point. Have no way to know how he is conducting the rest of his life - if he prays in all things. But I would assume he does. His family knows of suffering and seem to be compassionate folks. I would hope that he prays about everything like he does his performance. But I absolutely see where you are coming from. If he is just asking God to help him here and doesn't give a rats petoot about the rest of it - then what he is doing on the sidelines means nothing.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 06:42 pm
@sozobe,
The sign is basically dishonest. I would assume that Tebow knows better than to be asking God to give a rat's ass over who wins or loses football games and is praying for the safety of people in dangerous professions, including NFL football.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 06:45 pm
@gungasnake,
or he's turning his faith into just one more attention grabbing personal touchdown celebration.

I find it crass and belittling to others who are less demonstrative, but potentially no less faithful...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 06:47 pm
@gungasnake,
Riiiight. That's why he does it as a touchdown celebration.

Do you actually watch much football, Gunga? I ask because your comment makes me wonder if you've actually seen the praying in context, and also because of your off-key rhapsodizing about his actual play. (He was off-target and ineffective for much of the game, and the winning pass, while uncharacteristically [for him] well-done, is also a pretty standard football play.)
gungasnake

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 09:10 pm
@sozobe,
That winning pass was anything but standard nfl fare. Again he hit one of the fastest guys on the field perfectly in stride over the right shoulder as the guy was turning to run across his field of vision. That's anything but easy to do.
gungasnake

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 09:14 pm
@sozobe,
Again, basically, I watched enough of Tebow in college to believe that he was normally very accurate with the kinds of passes he was being asked to throw and that he will continue to improve in the pro game.

The guy basically stepped into a hopeless 1-4 situation as a rookie with no off season due to the players union contract impasse and brought that team to playoffs and a first round playoff victory over the defending AFC champions. I'm betting he doesn't get fired after this season.
JTT

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 09:48 pm
@gungasnake,
It pisses me off royally that he doesn't combine the oath of allegiance with his god stuff. What kind of slimeball is he?
0 Replies