Another unarmed black teenager shot in Florida

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 01:13 pm
Does it surprise anyone?

Quote:
Dunn told police that he asked Davis and three other teens, who were parked next to him at a gas station, to turn down their music. Dunn says he heard threats from the teens and saw a gun in their car. He says he feared for his own safety, and that's why he grabbed his gun and fired into the vehicle.
Police say that they found no guns inside the teens' vehicle and that Dunn fired his gun eight or nine times.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/state/jordan-davis-update-michael-dunn-charged-with-first-degree-murder-trial-scheduled-for-september-23#ixzz2aBFnZf9h
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 8,314 • Replies: 161

glitterbag

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 01:21 pm
@maxdancona,
Sadly, no.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 01:22 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Does it surprise anyone?

Quote:
Dunn told police that he asked Davis and three other teens, who were parked next to him at a gas station, to turn down their music. Dunn says he heard threats from the teens and saw a gun in their car. He says he feared for his own safety, and that's why he grabbed his gun and fired into the vehicle.
Police say that they found no guns inside the teens' vehicle and that Dunn fired his gun eight or nine times.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/state/jordan-davis-update-michael-dunn-charged-with-first-degree-murder-trial-scheduled-for-september-23#ixzz2aBFnZf9h

What's the surprise supposed to be?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 01:35 pm
@McGentrix,
That the Stand Your Ground law is involved in more than one shooting of a unarmed black teenager in Florida.

That this doesn't even surprise you, McGentrix, makes me sad.

engineer

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 01:39 pm
@maxdancona,
Despite the man's claim that he felt threatened, this doesn't really seem like a stand your ground case, more like a routine nutcase shooting. How has this case gone eight months without going to trial and with the shooting in jail the entire time?

Love this line:
Quote:

"When all the evidence has been flushed out, I believe that it will be extremely clear that Mr. Dunn acted as any responsible firearm owner would have under the same circumstances," Lemonidis said.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 01:54 pm
@maxdancona,
I notice that the guy's lawyer said his client did "what any responsible firearm owner would do under the same circumstances."

Unfortunately...I think he is correct. THAT IS what "responsible firearms owners" would do. Just claim fear...and fire into a car filled with young people.

What have we become?

maxdancona

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 01:55 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
this doesn't really seem like a stand your ground case, more like a routine nutcase shooting.

There doesn't seem to be a difference between the two, does there.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 02:17 pm
@maxdancona,
There is not any difference. I have owned long guns and a revolver. When I had the hand gun, if I heard an alarming sound in the middle of the night, my first thought was "where's the gun?", so I got rid of them. My husband has an ancient shotgun that belonged to his Dad, we don't have ammo for it and I don't think I could figure out how to fire it if my life depended on it. It hasn't been loaded or used in over 50 years. we can call 911 if something is threatening. I really don't need a gun, we don't hunt and I'm not going to carry that thing around in the car.

People who think loud music or smart-mouthed kids are justification to fire a weapon, really shouldn't be allowed to have them.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 02:30 pm
@maxdancona,
Anyone with half a brain could have predicted this and many more if they dont get rid of this stupid stand your ground law.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 02:31 pm
@Frank Apisa,
The word insanity comes to mind.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 02:42 pm
@glitterbag,
In the good old days, black people never sassed back to whites at all. This is the one good reason there is for these Stand Your Ground laws.
Baldimo

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 02:48 pm
@maxdancona,
This case made the news last year. You will notice this happened in Nov 2012. I commented on it at the time and saw no relation to the Zimmerman/Martin case. This dude should fry and fry hard!!!
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 05:37 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
How has this case gone eight months without going to trial and with the shooting in jail the entire time?

Eight months isn't a long period to wait for a murder trial. Court calenders have to be taken into account, both sides need to prepare their cases, etc.

The shooter is charged with first degree murder and three counts of attempted first degree murder. He was denied bail given the nature of the charges and the danger his release might pose to the public.
Quote:
this doesn't really seem like a stand your ground case, more like a routine nutcase shooting...

SYG laws encourage routine nutcase shootings.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 06:02 pm
@maxdancona,
http://www.trbimg.com/img-51e6f6dd/turbine/sfl-chan-lowe-trayvon-martin-george-zimmerman--001/555/555x384
Baldimo

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 06:51 pm
@firefly,
I didn't realize he only called for the arming of white people. Last I checked the phrase was "Law-abiding US citizens." Do black people not count as US citizens?
mysteryman

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 07:12 pm
@maxdancona,
That is the stupidest, most racist thing I have seen in a long time.
You should know better than this.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 07:15 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Wrong.
A "responsible gun owner" would never have fired into a car full of unarmed people, no matter what the provocation was.

I find it interesting that all of you are so quick to point out what you think "responsible gun owners" would do, even though you know you are wrong.

This case is simply a case of murder, nothing more.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 07:25 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
Last I checked the phrase was "Law-abiding US citizens." Do black people not count as US citizens?

That really is the question Baldimo. Let's look at it this way; has there been a case of a Black "law abiding US citizen" shooting an unarmed white teenager under "Stand Your Ground"?

Of course, it could be that black people count as citizens, but they just don't count as "law-abiding".
Baldimo

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 07:39 pm
@maxdancona,
As a matter of fact yes. Yes there has been. I support him in his use of SYG.

http://rochester.ynn.com/content/top_stories/490926/jury-finds-roderick-scott-not-guilty/
firefly

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 07:46 pm
@Baldimo,
That's not Stand Your Ground--New York State has no SYG law.

It just goes to show, you don't need a SYG law to defend yourself.