Another unarmed black teenager shot in Florida

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 02:02 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

You were telling a fictitious story that has never taken place. What facts did you provide?

You said: “You mean me refuting your "logic" with facts?”

I responded: "If you want to pretend that you "refuted" what I said with facts...have a ball. I will enjoy the laugh the notion engenders for me."

I repeat:

If you want to pretend that you "refuted" what I said with facts...have a ball. I will enjoy the laugh the notion engenders in me.

Try to keep up.

Baldimo

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 02:17 pm
@Frank Apisa,
So you have nothing but a story? Like I said Frank scare tactics.
revelette

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 02:32 pm
Not a teenager but what is up with Florida?

Deputies shoot man in his front yard

He was getting cigarette out of his mother's car

Quote:
Lying in a hospital bed the night after he was shot by Escambia County sheriff’s deputies in his own front yard, Roy Middleton only had one question: Why?

Middleton, 60, of the 200 block of Shadow Lawn Lane in Warrington, was shot in the leg about 2:42 a.m. Saturday while trying to retrieve a cigarette from his mother’s car in the driveway of their home.

neighbor saw someone reaching into the car and called 911. While he was looking into the vehicle, deputies arrived in response to the burglary call.

Middleton said he was bent over in the car searching the interior for a loose cigarette when he heard a voice order him to, “Get your hands where I can see them.”

He said he initially thought it was a neighbor joking with him, but when he turned his head he saw deputies standing halfway down his driveway.

He said he backed out of the vehicle with his hands raised, but when he turned to face the deputies, they immediately opened fire.

“It was like a firing squad,” he said. “Bullets were flying everywhere.”

The Escambia County Sheriff’s Office declined to comment on the incident Saturday.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating, as is standard in deputy-involved shootings. The deputies, who have not been publicly identified, have been placed on paid administrative leave.

In Baptist Hospital and groggy on Saturday, Middleton said he would be in recovery for several weeks. His wounds are not life-threatening.

“I’m just glad they didn’t hit me here or here,” he said, pointing toward his head and chest. “My mother’s car is full of bullet holes though. My wife had to go and get a rental.”

The neighborhood where Middleton lives was quiet Saturday afternoon, and there was no evidence the shooting had even occurred. However, neighbors said only a few hours earlier the area had been congested with law enforcement vehicles and yellow crime scene tape.

Several neighbors said they heard the commotion, but weren’t entirely sure why events unfolded the way they did. A teenage girl who said she witnessed a portion of the incident said she never saw Middleton provoke the deputies.

“He wasn’t belligerent or anything,“ she said.

Middleton, too, said he doesn’t understand how or why the incident escalated so quickly. He also said deputies never offered him an explanation or an apology.

“Even if they thought the car was stolen, all they had to do was run the license plate,” he said. “They would have seen that that car belonged there.”

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 02:38 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

So you have nothing but a story? Like I said Frank scare tactics.

If you want to pretend that you "refuted" what I said with facts...have a ball. I will enjoy the laugh the notion engenders in me. Wink

You might try actually quoting exactly what I said that you suppose you "refuted" with facts...and then actually state the facts that you used to "refute" whatever it is that you imagine you actually refuted.
Baldimo

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 02:44 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I refuted your fanciful story about the use of SYG or self-defense shootings. Are you getting so old that you forgot what you said?
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 02:51 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

I refuted your fanciful story about the use of SYG or self-defense shootings. Are you getting so old that you forgot what you said?

Quote what I said...and give us the "facts" that "refute" it.

(Don't waste your time, Baldimo...you did not refute anything I said...and you offered no facts if refutation. )
Baldimo

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 02:56 pm
@Frank Apisa,
By Frank:
Quote:
And if one of those teens had a weapon and fired back and killed the guy...there would be a bunch of black teens in jail right now awaiting trial.

Fact is, the idiotic law actually encourages such a scenario.

The guy claims he felt threatened...and fired into the car. If the kids also had weapons...they could claim they felt threatened and fire back. And by-standers could claim they felt threatened by all the shooting and joined in.

The laws...and all these people "totin' shootin' ahrns"...is an absurdity in a supposed civilized society.

Facts show that this has never happened anywhere in the US. It is your fanciful story that I refute. In all the self-defense shootings in the US, this has never happened. In all the cases of SYG this has never happened.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 03:07 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

By Frank:
Quote:
And if one of those teens had a weapon and fired back and killed the guy...there would be a bunch of black teens in jail right now awaiting trial.

Fact is, the idiotic law actually encourages such a scenario.

The guy claims he felt threatened...and fired into the car. If the kids also had weapons...they could claim they felt threatened and fire back. And by-standers could claim they felt threatened by all the shooting and joined in.

The laws...and all these people "totin' shootin' ahrns"...is an absurdity in a supposed civilized society.

Facts show that this has never happened anywhere in the US. It is your fanciful story that I refute. In all the self-defense shootings in the US, this has never happened. In all the cases of SYG this has never happened.

You did not refute it, Baldimo...you simply asserted that it is wrong. IF the kids also had weapons...they could claim they felt threatened and fire back. And by-standers could claim they felt threatened by all the shooting and joined in.

The idiotic law, does, in fact, actually encourages such a scenario.

The fact that "it has not happened" yet is not proof that it won't happen...and with each passing day it seems more and more likely that something akin to this WILL happen.

Baldimo

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 03:16 pm
@Frank Apisa,
There is no proof of this but in your mind, you think most gun owners are just going to open fire when nothing of the sort has ever happened to even give this an ounce of thought. It's a story Frank is using to scare people who don't know anything about guns or the people who own them.

We have a better chance of another hurricane knocking out power to NY then some sort of mass SYG shooting taking place. Your idea would make an interesting wild west movie though.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 03:57 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

There is no proof of this but in your mind, you think most gun owners are just going to open fire when nothing of the sort has ever happened to even give this an ounce of thought. It's a story Frank is using to scare people who don't know anything about guns or the people who own them.

We have a better chance of another hurricane knocking out power to NY then some sort of mass SYG shooting taking place. Your idea would make an interesting wild west movie though.

All that MAY be true...but you claimed to refute (a hypothetical, no less) with facts...

...and you haven't.

I am not trying to scare people, Bladimo.

People like you who want more guns carried by more people...and more laws to allow people with guns to use them at will...

...scare the hell out of people who actually think things through.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 05:04 pm
Are more people still dying in car accidents than shootings? Seems both are tools used to kill people...
revelette

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 05:35 pm
@McGentrix,
Are more people still using guns rather than cars to kill people? If cars are just as well to use to kill people as guns, why bother arming yourself with guns for self-defense? Just use your car.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 05:43 pm
Study Says ‘Stand Your Ground’ Laws Increase Homicides

Quote:
In April, more than a month after the shooting of Trayvon Martin, we looked the incidence of justifiable homicides in states with “stand your ground” or “castle doctrine” laws like Florida’s.

In general, such laws grant people more leeway to use lethal force on an attacker. More than 20 were passed after Florida’s in 2005. They typically do at least one of the following:

• Remove a person’s duty to retreat in places outside the home

• Add the presumption that the person who killed in self defense had a reasonable fear of death or harm

• Grant people who killed in self-defense immunity from civil lawsuits

Justifiable homicides nearly doubled from 2000 to 2010, according to the most recent data available, when 326 were reported. The data, provided by federal and state law enforcement agencies, showed a sharp increase in justifiable homicides occurred after 2005, when Florida and 16 other states passed the laws.

While the overall homicide rates in those states stayed relatively flat, the average number of justifiable cases per year increased by more than 50% in the decade’s latter half.

Five years since Florida enacted "stand-your-ground" law, justifiable homicides are up

Quote:
Reports of justifiable homicides tripled after the law went into effect, according to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Last year, twice a week, on average, someone's killing was considered warranted.

The self-defense law — known as "stand your ground" — has been invoked in at least 93 cases with 65 deaths, a St. Petersburg Times review found.

In the majority of the cases, the person's use of force was excused by prosecutors and the courts.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 05:44 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:

I do not know if you are a CC holder but for myself when I am armed I am far more likely to go out of my way to not get into even in a mild conflict with my fellow man then when I am not carrying and from talking and being around others CC holder that seem more common then not feeling.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 11:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Him and his ilk scare the hell out of me.
BillRM

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 03:26 am
@RABEL222,
Quote:

Some people seems to get off by finding irrational reasons to be frighten however such fears are not good reasons to created public policies.

In fact the reverse is true as the efforts to deal with irrational fears take away from the resources available to solve real problems.

For example we have a damn real problem of young black males being killed in amazing large numbers but those numbers have nothing to do with either white racists or stand your ground laws.

All the millions of dollars of resources to prosecuted Zimmerman at both the state and federal level was a complete wasted. All those man hours the FBI spend could had likely have save lives by breaking up or interfering with drug gangs instead of trying to find one example of Zimmerman being a racist in his whole life.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 03:37 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

Some people seems to get off by finding irrational reasons to be frighten however such fears are not good reasons to created public policies.

That is what we have been saying all along. Try to figure out what you actually said, Bill...and apply it to carrying weapons.
BillRM

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 03:47 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
That is what we have been saying all along. Try to figure out what you actually said, Bill...and apply it to carrying weapons.

Sorry dear but I had have friends put into IC units by criminals and only luck and great medical care save their lives.

Carrying weapons are the same as my having a fire extinguisher in the truck of my car.

Never needed to used the firearms thank god but did put out a stranger engine fire with the car fire extinguisher.

But please for yourself only feel free not to have fire extinguishers or fire arms or any other safety devices for that matter.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 04:00 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

Sorry dear but I had have friends put into IC units by criminals and only luck and great medical care safe their lives.

Equally sorry, Sweety, but I know of young men who have been needlessly shot by people carrying guns...and even a high school course in statistics will teach you that the more people totin' shootin' ahrns there are...the more shooting that will result.

Quote:
Carrying weapons are the same as my having a fire extinguisher in the truck of my car.

I guess you can actually think that is the same thing. It is rather sad that you do...but...

Quote:
Never needed to used the firearms thank god but did put out a stranger engine fire with the car fire extinguisher.

Well perhaps you will get a chance to use the gun sometime soon, also. You sound like someone who would love to have that experience. Do write and tell us about it when you do.

BillRM

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 04:12 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
even a high school course in statistics will teach you that the more people totin' shootin' ahrns there are...the more shooting that will result.
\

Sorry CC holders have a good record of being law abiding citizens in fact better then the general public as a whole.

Quote:
Quote:

I guess you can actually think that is the same thing. It is rather sad that you do...but...

It is the same thing and having live where there was almost no police protection for months and no way to call for what police protection there happen to be for months I saw with my own eyes the benefits of having arm citizens and a neighborhood watch not armed with handguns but with shotguns.

Quote:
Well perhaps you will get a chance to use the gun sometime soon, also. You sound like someone who would love to have that experience. Do write and tell us about it when you do.

Strange idea that someone with a fire extinguisher or a gun would love to have a fire or a life threatening attack by a criminal so they could use either.