Another unarmed black teenager shot in Florida

BillRM

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 02:39 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
No. Ehem, in how many French homes you've been, you said?

Trying you best to be dishonest I see in trying to claims that Franch homes have anywhere near the number of firearms in their homes that the US have!!!!

Take note that Japan at the very bottom of the gun owning nations on earth have roughly double the US suicide rate also
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 02:41 pm
@BillRM,
I know: your pride of this.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 02:45 pm
@BillRM,
http://i39.tinypic.com/2jag1mp.jpg
BillRM

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 02:47 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Hate game players Walter when I am taking my time to discussed an issue and pointing out that there is no clear national relationships between the availability of firearms and the suicide rate.

An trying to even imply that the French have the same number of guns in their households is game playing indeed.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 02:49 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Hate game players Walter when I am taking my time to discussed an issue and pointing out that there is no clear national relationships between the availability of firearms and the suicide rate.

Walter Hinteler wrote:

The New England Journal of Medicine wrote:
There are at least a dozen U.S. case–control studies in the peer-reviewed literature, all of which have found that a gun in the home is associated with an increased risk of suicide. The increase in risk is large, typically 2 to 10 times that in homes without guns, depending on the sample population (e.g., adolescents vs. older adults) and on the way in which the firearms were stored.
Source

BillRM

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 02:50 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
So the murder rate by guns is small in France and yet their suicide rate is similar to the US seems off hand to help prove that the relationship between guns and suicide rate does not track from nation to nation.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 02:57 pm
@BillRM,
The latest figures say that 15% of suicides in France are done with guns.
Quote:
Le mode de suicide le plus fréquent est la pendaison (46%), suivi de la prise de médicaments (16%) et les armes à feu (15%). Pour les hommes les suicides par armes à feu arrivent en deuxième position, tandis que pour les femmes, la prise de médicament est le premier mode de suicide, suivi par la pendaison. Chez les moins de 25 ans, le saut d’un lieu élevé arrive en première position, tout comme chez les plus de 85 ans.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 02:58 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
This says murder rate Walter, not suicide rate.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 02:59 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Strange that in all those peer to peer studies concerning the US does not address why nations with fewer guns or almost no guns had similar or even higher suicide rates.

So the idea that if there was zero firearms in the US that the overall suicide rate would be smaller is clearly not proven.

So those peer review studies may have some little problems in them on their face as they do not match the facts when you look at the world suicide rate by nation and the lack of relationship between guns availability and a nation suicide rate.
BillRM

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 03:01 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
The latest figures say that 15% of suicides in France are done with guns.
Quote:

So the tool/means of suicide seems not to matter at the rate of suicide by nations just as I was stating.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 03:09 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Strange that in all those peer to peer studies concerning the US does not address why nations with fewer guns or almost no guns had similar or even higher suicide rates.
Why is that strange?
a) those quoeted surveys are only US-related,
b) the question wasn't about suicide in general but about suicide with firearms.

Wikipedia wrote:
Suicide in France is more common than anywhere in non-former Eastern bloc except Finland and Belgium. The overall suicide rate is 14.6 per 100,000 people -- twice the rate in Britain and a 40% higher rate than Germany and the US. The suicide rate for French men is 22.8 per 100,000—three times the rate for women, 7.5 per 100,000.

One reason, why the suicide rate is so high in France, is to be found in this report.
However, suicide has a kind of long historical "tradition" in France.
oralloy

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 04:12 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
Secret? If you talked to other people with an open mind rather than listen to Fox News you might find out about life on this planet rather than lala land.

Why do Leftists start talking about Fox News whenever they can't address a point?
Baldimo

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 04:15 pm
@oralloy,
It's the only weapon they have left.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 04:19 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The New England Journal of Medicine wrote:
Quack quack quack quack quack quack.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention wrote:
Quack quack quack quack quack quack.

Quackery.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 04:28 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
http://i39.tinypic.com/2jag1mp.jpg

Bogus chart: Cherry-picked data based on an arbitrary definition of "developed world".

Also, irrelevant trivia: "Gun related rates" are only meaningful for people who think it matters whether someone is killed with a gun or a knife.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 04:31 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
ne reason, why the suicide rate is so high in France, is to be found in this report.
However, suicide has a kind of long historical "tradition" in France.

In other words there are a hell of a lot of factors that are as important or even more important then the numbers of guns in households.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 04:42 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
b) the question wasn't about suicide in general but about suicide with firearms.

Why in the hell would anyone care how someone decide to commit suicide are you somehow less dead if you step in front of a bus or fired a gun into you body?

Unless it can be shown that lack of firearms reduce overall suicide rates instead of gun suicides it is completely pointless.

Given that there seems no relationship between a population with little access to firearms and a population with very easy access to firearms to the overall suicide rate of a population the whole subject seems pointless.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 06:06 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
What have we become?

Nothing more than what you have always been, Frank. You know, the stuff you and nobody else wants to talk about let alone think about.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 06:16 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Baldimo, you and the others here are encouraging Americans to sink to a lesser place.

Where that might end up boggles the imagination, Frank.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 06:22 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I followed from page 2 just to see where you would take this, Frank. I wasn't the least bit surprised.

I wonder if there was anyone who was.
0 Replies