Israel's Amazing Medical Breakthrough

Moment-in-Time

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 12:50 pm
@JTT,
Quote:

Barbaric cruelty defines the US, MiT. It's the unceasing propaganda that dupes folks into thinking the US represents the white hat guys.

No human group has a monopoly on cruelty...remembering history, and its demon leaders, let us not single out the US specifically. Lacking qualities of empathy, pity, warmth, compassion, or the like tend to be the dark side of our species...MAN IS MAN! The US has committed crimes against human nature but so have other countries. I'm not in no way trying to defend my country, the US, pointing out that "Man's inhumanity to Man is not limited to just the US.

To examine the epitome of evil that has plagued mankind from its inception, one has to look at the 20th century, the bloodiest century in the history of mankind. The 20th century has contained the two bloodiest and most horrific events; World War I (8.5 millions deaths) and II (61 millions deaths), where a total of 70 million humans died.

"This does not include the two worst holocausts that the evil dictators Russia’s Joseph Stalin (1879-1953) and China’s Mao Tse Tung (1893-1976) committed. Both of these two dictators’ revolts would have failed if the U.S. government had not financially backed them. Russian Joseph Stalin (1879-1953) purged 60 millions people who resisted him and Chinese Mao Tse Tung (1893-1976) killed about 60 million. These two communist dictators together killed 120 million of their own citizens. This is more than the number of people who died in World War I & II combined. Counting the deaths of 120 million by these two evil dictators plus 70 million more deaths for both WW I, and II, we have a staggering total of 190 million that died during the 20th century, not counting deaths resulting from the other wars of this century.

"A burning question in most people’s subconscious mind is WHY? As the world entered the 21st century, there appears no prospect or hope that the situation is getting better for this evil originated in the realm of eternity."
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 12:54 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
their relentless terrorism.

Terrorism is directed at civilians.

The A-bombs were dropped on military targets.
contrex

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 03:04 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

contrex wrote:
In particular, saying Hiroshima & Nagasaki happened at "the height" of a war, after Germany was defeated and occupied

Just for the record (since you don't know much about history or geography): the bombs were used against Japan, not against Germany.

Wow. This is lame even for you. You really are a dumb troll! My point was that you could hardly call August 1945 the "height" of a war when one of the Allies' two enemies (namely Nazi Germany) had already been defeated and occupied. I just assumed that everybody would know, given the context, which the other enemy was, without having to write J-A-P-A-N. I also assumed that everybody knows that Hiroshima and Nagasaki are not in Germany, and weren't in 1945 either, but I reckoned without your invincible stupidity.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 03:06 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

My point was that you could hardly call August 1945 the "height" of a war when one of the Allies' two enemies (namely Nazi Germany) had already been defeated and occupied.

Two out of three if you include fascist Italy.
oralloy

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 03:35 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
Wow. This is lame even for you. You really are a dumb troll!

You trash shouldn't run around falsely accusing your betters of your own stupidity and your own trolling.

contrex wrote:
My point was that you could hardly call August 1945 the "height" of a war when one of the Allies' two enemies (namely Nazi Germany) had already been defeated and occupied.

Your point was idiotic nonsense. The war with Japan still raged. Japan was refusing to surrender, and no one had any idea what it would take to make them surrender.

Had America needed to invade, the projected American casualties from the proposed invasion equaled all the casualties that America had suffered in World War II up to that point.

contrex wrote:
I reckoned without your invincible stupidity.

You trash shouldn't run around falsely accusing your betters of your own stupidity.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 03:45 pm
Ever notice that you never read about any sort of a major medical breakthrough coming from the I-slammitic world? I mean, these inventions always seem to come from the U.S., Israel, Japan, South Korea, or France or Sweden or some other enlightened place. Major advances in desalinating sea water for instance:

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/2013/03/sea-water-desalination-capacitive-deionisation

Anybody remember the last time he/she read about anything like that coming from Albania, Chechnya, "palestine(TM)", Saudia Arabia, or Pakistan??
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 03:48 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

That's correct. That's thee normal MO for the US. They had been doing that to the Japanese with their firebombing. They continued that against the Koreans, then the Vietnamese, then the Laotians, then the Cambodians.

Quote:
McNamara's comment on the [fire]bombing [of Japanese civilians] was this: LeMay said that "If we'd lost the war, we'd all have been prosecuted as war criminals." "And I think he's right," says McNamara. "He, and I'd say I, were behaving as war criminals." . . . "LeMay recognized that what he was doing would be thought immoral if his side has lost. But what makes it immoral if you lose and not immoral if you win?"

http://www.ditext.com/japan/napalm.html

As you have repeatedly shown you have a terrible sense of what constitutes morality.

Quote:
The A-bombs were dropped on military targets.

I understand why you persist in these delusions, OralBoy, but it isn't doing anything for your mental health.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 04:03 pm
@oralloy,

Quote:
A Forgotten Holocaust: US Bombing Strategy, the Destruction of Japanese Cities and the American Way of War from World War II to Iraq [*]

Mark Selden

World War II was a landmark in the development and deployment of technologies of mass destruction associated with air power, notably the B-29 bomber, napalm and the atomic bomb. An estimated 50 to 70 million people lay dead in its wake. In a sharp reversal of the pattern of World War I and of most earlier wars, a substantial majority of the dead were noncombatants. [1]

The air war, which reached peak intensity with the area bombing, including atomic bombing, of major European and Japanese cities in its final year, had a devastating impact on noncombatant populations.
What is the logic and what have been the consequences—for its victims, for subsequent global patterns of warfare and for international law—of new technologies of mass destruction and their application associated with the rise of air power and bombing technology in World War II and after? Above all, how have these experiences shaped the American way of war over six decades in which the United States has been a major actor in important wars? The issues have particular salience in an epoch whose central international discourse centers on terror and the War on Terror, one in which the terror inflicted on noncombatants by the major powers is frequently neglected.
Strategic Bombing and International Law
Bombs had been dropped from the air as early as 1849 on Venice (from balloons) and 1911 in Libya (from planes).

The strategic and ethical implications of the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki have generated a vast contentious literature, as have German and Japanese war crimes and atrocities. By contrast, the US destruction of more than sixty Japanese cities prior to Hiroshima has been slighted both in the scholarly literatures in English and Japanese and in popular consciousness in both Japan and the US. It has been overshadowed by the atomic bombing and by heroic narratives of American conduct in the “Good War”, an outcome not unrelated to the emergence of the US as a superpower. [5] Arguably, however, the central technological, strategic and ethical breakthroughs that would leave their stamp on subsequent wars occurred in area bombing of noncombatants prior to the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. A.C. Grayling explains the different responses to firebombing and atomic bombing this way: “. . . the frisson of dread created by the thought of what atomic weaponry can do affects those who contemplate it more than those who actually suffer from it; for whether it is an atom bomb rather than tons of high explosives and incendiaries that does the damage, not a jot of suffering is added to its victims that the burned and buried, the dismembered and blinded, the dying and bereaved of Dresden or Hamburg did not feel.” [6]

If others, notably Germany, England and Japan led the way in area bombing, the targeting for destruction of entire cities with conventional weapons emerged in 1944-45 as the centerpiece of US warfare. It was an approach that combined technological predominance with minimization of US casualties in ways that would become the hallmark of the American way of war in campaigns from Korea and Indochina to the Gulf and Iraq Wars and, indeed define the trajectory of major wars since the 1940s. The result would be the decimation of noncombatant populations and extraordinary “kill ratios” favoring the US military. Yet for the US, victory would prove extraordinary elusive. This is one important reason why, six decades on, World War II retains its aura for Americans as the “Good War”, and why Americans have yet to effectively come to grips with questions of ethics and international law associated with their area bombing of Germany and Japan.

The twentieth century was notable for the contradiction between international attempts to place limits on the destructiveness of war and to hold nations and their military leaders responsible for violations of international laws of war (Nuremberg and Tokyo Tribunals and successive Geneva conventions, particularly the 1949 convention protecting civilians and POWs) and the systematic violation of those principles by the major powers. [7] For example, while the Nuremberg and Tokyo Tribunals clearly articulated the principle of universality, the Tribunals, both held in cities that had been obliterated by Allied bombing, famously shielded the victorious powers, above all the US, from responsibility for war crimes and crimes against humanity. Telford Taylor, chief counsel for war crimes prosecution at Nuremberg, made the point with specific reference to the bombing of cities a quarter century later: [8]

Since both sides had played the terrible game of urban destruction—the Allies far more successfully—there was no basis for criminal charges against Germans or Japanese, and in fact no such charges were brought . . . . Aerial bombardment had been used so extensively and ruthlessly on the Allied side as well as the Axis side that neither at Nuremberg nor Tokyo was the issue made a part of the trials.

From 1932 to the early years of World War II the United States was an outspoken critic of city bombing, notably but not exclusively German and Japanese bombing. President Franklin Roosevelt appealed to the warring nations in 1939 on the first day of World War II “under no circumstances [to] undertake the bombardment from the air of civilian populations or of unfortified cities.” [9] Britain, France and Germany agreed to limit bombing to strictly military objectives, but in May 1940 German bombardment of Rotterdam exacted 40,000 civilian lives and forced the Dutch surrender. Up to this point, bombing of cities had been isolated, sporadic and for the most part confined to the axis powers. Then in August 1940, after German bombers bombed London, Churchill ordered an attack on Berlin. The steady escalation of bombing targeting cities and their noncombatant populations followed. [10]

http://www.japanfocus.org/-mark-selden/2414
JTT

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 04:08 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

The Forgotten Holocaust indeed!

Quote:
The full fury of firebombing and napalm was unleashed on the night of March 9-10, 1945 when LeMay sent 334 B-29s low over Tokyo from the Marianas.

Their mission was to reduce the city to rubble, kill its citizens, and instill terror in the survivors, with jellied gasoline and napalm that would create a sea of flames.

Stripped of their guns to make more room for bombs, and flying at altitudes averaging 7,000 feet to evade detection, the bombers, which had been designed for high-altitude precision attacks, carried two kinds of incendiaries: M47s, 100-pound oil gel bombs, 182 per aircraft, each capable of starting a major fire, followed by M69s, 6-pound gelled-gasoline bombs, 1,520 per aircraft in addition to a few high explosives to deter firefighters. [25]

The attack on an area that the US Strategic Bombing Survey estimated to be 84.7 percent residential succeeded beyond the wildest dreams of air force planners.

Whipped by fierce winds, flames detonated by the bombs leaped across a fifteen square mile area of Tokyo generating immense firestorms that engulfed and killed scores of thousands of residents.

http://www.japanfocus.org/-mark-selden/2414

contrex

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 05:17 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

contrex wrote:

Two out of three if you include fascist Italy.

I didn't include them because they weren't defeated as such, they dumped Mussolini and defected to the Allies in 1943. Incidentally I still have a model I made in 1976 of a Savoia-Marchetti SM79 in the colours of the post-1943 Italian Co-Belligerent Air Force.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 05:49 pm
@JTT,
What is your impression of SlicKKK KKKlintler, Mad-dog Albright, and Wesley Clark, and their bombing campaign against Yugoslavia?
gungasnake

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 07:19 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Stripped of their guns to make more room for bombs, and flying at altitudes averaging 7,000 feet to evade detection, the bombers, which had been designed for high-altitude precision attacks, carried two kinds of incendiaries: M47s, 100-pound oil gel bombs, 182 per aircraft, each capable of starting a major fire, followed by M69s, 6-pound gelled-gasoline bombs, 1,520 per aircraft in addition to a few high explosives to deter firefighters.

The idea of the high explosives was to break up the water mains beneath the streets so that nobody would have the water pressure to fight the fire.

A serious effort had previously been made to bomb Japanese military targets from high altitude but the jet streams made such targeting impossible. The bombs weren't hitting anything of military value, civilians were getting killed, and airmen were being asked to risk their lives for no basic gain. Aside from Japanese fighters, the B29 itself was a dangerous thing to fly, the engines having been rushed into production in less time than was needed.

LeMay noted that the Japanese had neither the lights and flak guns nor the night fighter capability which Germany had and that their cities would be highly vulnerable to low-level night-time incendiary attacks, particularly since much of their military industry was spread out in cottage-industry style.

By the middle of 45 however, there was no need for any further bombing. Granted hindsight is wonderful, the two atom bombs could have been saved for some other purpose.

JTT

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 08:38 pm
@gungasnake,
You go ahead and tell me of their war crimes, gunga.
JTT

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 08:53 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
Granted hindsight is wonderful, the two atom bombs could have been saved for some other purpose.

Not by the racist Americans they couldn't.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 11:42 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
You go ahead and tell me of their war crimes, gunga.

You're claiming that the **** those clowns perpetrated in 1999 could be justified??
gungasnake

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 11:45 pm
There's one other thing you have to keep in mind wrt LeMay's firebomb raids...

The Japanese should have surrendered after the fall of the Marianas. You didn't need to be Albert Einstein to grasp what the next American move was going to be.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 12:22 pm
@gungasnake,
There's no **** that the Americans have ever done that was justified, gunga. It's always been about better positioning themselves to be steal others wealth.

I actually started two threads to allow folks to describe a time when the US did something for altruistic reasons. There were no takers.
gungasnake

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 02:14 pm
@JTT,
What about the operation in 1999 to steal Kosovo from its rightful owners and give it to the KLA??
gungasnake

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 08:37 pm
Smatter, JTT? Cat gotcher tongue??
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 08:48 pm
@gungasnake,
Go ahead and lay it all out, Gunga. I'm all ears.