Breaking News: Shooting in Milwaukee

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 02:03 pm
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/05/us/wisconsin-temple-shooting/index.html

Quote:
Gunman, six others dead at Wisconsin Sikh temple

Quote:
(CNN) -- At least seven people, including a gunman shot by a police officer, have been killed in an attack on worshippers at a Sikh temple in the Milwaukee suburb of Oak Creek, Wisconsin, on Sunday, police said.
The officer was wounded but "returned fire, and that shooter was put down," said Bradley Wentlandt, the police chief in nearby Greenfield, who briefed reporters. Investigators who picked through the building afterward found four bodies inside the temple and two other victims outside, plus the gunman, Wentlandt said.
Though early reports had suggested there may have been more than one attacker, he said officers had not identified any other gunmen.
The wounded officer, a 20-year veteran, was in surgery Sunday afternoon after being shot multiple times, but was expected to survive, Wentlandt said. He was sent to the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin in Oak Creek, south of Milwaukee, after a 911 call about 10:25 a.m. (11:25 a.m. ET).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 11,468 • Replies: 171

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 02:19 pm
Police say that seven people were killed, including a gunman. Four of the dead were inside the temple, while three were outside. According to police, an officer was shot multiple times by the gunman and is currently in surgery.

Greenfield Police Chief Bradley Wentlandt said he does not know the total number of victims involved. Police said they did not believe there was a second shooter.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 03:30 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Seven dead in a religious-motivated (apparently) shooting doesn't bother anybody here? No comments at all?
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 04:23 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
There's another topic on it with comments:

http://able2know.org/topic/195435-1
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 04:33 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
religious-motivated (apparently) shooting doesn't bother anybody here?

Bother in what way?

Any killing for any reason of innocents going about their lawful business is evil to say the least.

Thank "god" in this country[US] killing for religion reasons is rare and normally an act of a mentally ill person and not groups.

We do not have religion wars involving thousands or tens of thousands like such countries as India but the random killing of anyone due to a sick mind is sad.
farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 05:43 pm
@BillRM,
I shut the [uters down snce weve been having severe T storms this PM since about noon.

Terrible tragedy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 05:54 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Of course it does.

I didn't know the description of the killed shooter. Not a 24/7 news follower.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 06:01 pm
@ossobuco,
I've only known two sikhs, one in my home town of Venice, CA, good man well liked, and one fictional in a novel re India, a guy I got to like a lot by the end of the book. If anything, I've sympathy towards them - and then of course after this, a kind of despair.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 06:09 pm
@ossobuco,
I went to junior high school with a Sikh boy. He had a younger brother in one of the lower grades. Later, in high school, I still saw him from time to time although we now went to different schools. He drove a big motorcycle and wanted to be a commercial artist. For all I know he made it. Lost sight of the Nahalsings.
msolga

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 06:23 pm
Possible motive: a hate crime based on ignorance:

Quote:
Since the attacks of September 11, 2001 by Islamist militants, Sikhs have sometimes been confused publicly with Muslims because of their turban headdress and beards.

In September 2001, a Sikh gas station owner in Mesa, Arizona, was shot dead by a man who was said to be seeking revenge on Muslims for the hijacked plane attacks on the United States.

Members of the Milwaukee Sikh community complained to police and a state representative last year about an upturn in robberies and vandalism at Sikh-owned gas stations and stores.

New York police said they were increasing security at Sikh temples as a precaution. There are no known threats against temples in the city, they said in a statement.

Sapreet Kaur, executive director of the Sikh Coalition civil rights organization, said Sikhs had been the target of several hate-crime shootings in the United States in recent years.

"The natural impulse of our community is to unfortunately assume the same in this case," he said in a statement.

Seven dead, including gunman, in shooting at Wisconsin Sikh temple:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/05/us-usa-wisconsin-shooting-idUSBRE8740FP20120805

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 06:26 pm
@msolga,
Oh, ugh, ugh, ugh.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 06:47 pm
@msolga,
Yes, I remember the shooting in Mesa just a few days after 9/11. A lot of people were shocked that someone bent on revenge against Muslims would make a stupid mistake like that and shoot a Sikh. But -- you know -- they all look alike, them dark-skinned furriners with turbans.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 07:27 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Police are referring to the shooting as an act of "domestic terrorism".

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/05/us-usa-wisconsin-shooting-terrorism-idUSBRE8740PG20120805
Lash

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 07:30 pm
Had been following the story, but waiting on anything concrete. Still following.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 07:32 pm
@msolga,
It seems premature to call it anything until we know something about the shooter.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 07:39 pm
I remember sitting behind a guy in the Fox Venice Theater (my favorite ever), and not being able to see over his turban. We got there late (we used to go at least twice a week, two movies each, $1.50 for both) and were all in the back on that occasion. This must have been our later friend. Not to be claiming close friendship, but we knew each other, no negs. I'd post more about him but don't want to make him a target.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 07:48 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

It seems premature to call it anything until we know something about the shooter.

I was just thinking the same thing.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 10:08 pm
Many details here in the local newspaper:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/reports-of-people-shot-at-sikh-temple-in-oak-creek-qc6cgc0-165059506.html

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/neighbor-i-kept-talking-to-him-to-make-sure-he-was-conscious-ok6ck4v-165085926.html
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 11:18 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Seven dead in a religious-motivated (apparently) shooting doesn't bother anybody here? No comments at all?

What's to say? I just feel sick.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 11:30 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

So far this event is not very interesting. Violence motivated by religon is and so far as we can tell always has been a major past time for humans.