Breaking News: Shooting in Milwaukee

roger

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 06:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes. What on earth might a Satanic atheists be?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 11:49 pm
This is so unbelievably sad. I have many Sikh friends, even went to a wedding in Punjab. Sikh's have been in Canada for over a century. There are many involved in politics, one man was the premier of B.C. They are very involved in my community and do great work here.
White supremacists should be banned from owning weapons and should be shipped to a tiny arctic island where it's white year round.
Morons, all of them.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 09:47 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I think we can all agree that Jews make a valuable contribution to the community, wherever that community may be, but that still doesn't stop some people from hating them. One similarity between Sikhs and Jews is that both communities, (with the exception of Israel,) are used to being minorities. That means that by and large they try very hard to fit in.

This thread isn't about an attack on a synagogue, but an attack on a gurdwara, and I would imagine it was because they looked like Moslems, not because they looked like Jews. In the West the real '1930s type' race hate figures are Moslems, not Jews. Islamophobia is a far greater problem than anti-Semitism, (in the West at least.)

I think the big contribution that Jews make to the western world is that when an individual is not enjoying his family Christmas get together, and getting a headache, that person can say to himself, "If only today I could be Jewish."

The joke used to be that on Christmas, when there were more regular movie theaters around, Jews (I'm talking about the non-orthodox) would go see a movie, and then go to a Chinese restaurant, or vice versa. I once heard my mother voice concern that the Chinese restaurant owners still needed customers on Christmas.

I parse that term "hate" when it is referencing the feelings towards Jews. Most people do not "hate" Jews. They might be a bit Judeophobic (what are "the Jews" up to), or resentful of their appearing to excel academically oftentimes, or likely, in my opinion, on a more gut level, just consider them a threat to the "gentile" culture that is valued by many a person of the masses. Meaning, few want to wake up one morning and find out that there are more Jews in their neighborhood than themselves, and now their kids have to study more to compete with "those people" to become school valedictorian. At least in the States. Perhaps, not in Britain, since between you and me, the average Brit is more intelligent than the average American. Why? Perhaps, because to think nuanced, one must speak nuanced, and Brits can speak English (with more vocabulary, in my opinion) than Americans. Many Americans have a hard time, in my opinion, to vocalize a cogent thought when interviewed on tv news. The U.S. should probably open up the immigration gates to Brits.

We do not question if certain breeds of dogs are more trainable/intelligent; why not humans?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 12:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Any closed group which successfully mines this terrain for wealth will be hated just as the Jews always are.

I'm a little confused by your comments.

1. Do you think that Jews ( as a group ) are always hated ?

2. Do you think that Jews are where there is "wealth" to be mined?

Upon what facts have you reached the above conclusions?
Miller

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 12:43 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

One similarity between Sikhs and Jews ...they are used to being minorities. That means that by and large they try very hard to fit in.

As a Jew I don't find other Jews trying to "fit in". Why? Because, we don't feel "left out". As far as Jews being a minority ( as you've stated above), if it's not one thing you're a minority in, it's going to be another. Just have to keep on living and smiling.

Maybe most ultraorthodox Jewish woman wear wigs made of human hair, so that their head covering looks more natural, but how many Jewish woman wear a wig, as a means of religious observance?

It's time for you to be enlighted about the many facets of Judaism...
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 12:56 pm
@Miller,
I think that jews have tended to set themselves apart from the rest of the collective, and tended to be successful, which has made them hated/disliked/not trusted.

I am still waiting to hear what this guys problem with the turban wearers is....so far most everyone is guessing that he was too dumb to know who he was killing, but I am sceptical.
Foofie

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 12:59 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

izzythepush wrote:

One similarity between Sikhs and Jews ...they are used to being minorities. That means that by and large they try very hard to fit in.

As a Jew I don't find other Jews trying to "fit in". Why? Because, we don't feel "left out". As far as Jews being a minority ( as you've stated above), if it's not one thing you're a minority in, it's going to be another. Just have to keep on living and smiling.

Maybe most ultraorthodox Jewish woman wear wigs made of human hair, so that their head covering looks more natural, but how many Jewish woman wear a wig, as a means of religious observance?

It's time for you to be enlighted about the many facets of Judaism...

In my opinion, Jewish women make more Gentile friends than Jewish males, since women bond over more common denominators of women. As a Jewish male, the alienation from Gentile males, in my opinion, is a remnant from school days where more Jewish males were concerned over marks, rather than being a tough kid. Being a male has more "pecking order" concerns than females, I believe, and Jewish males are not supposed to be an "alpha male" in the Gentile world. An attractive women, Jewish or Gentile, becomes a desired friend, especially if she has other positive accomplishments. The world of men and women are fairly different. That carries over to social relationships.

Also, the tall, good-looking, intelligent Jewish male today likely had more than one shiksa trying to catch him in college. His being married to a Jewish women might be under 50% today? Women want tallish, cute (good-looking) kids. A Jewish male is fair game today amongst those women who subscribe to the positive stereotypes of Jewish men (they come home after work directly). That might be a more recent cause for anti-Jewish sentiment - knowing that many of "their women" will marry a Jewish male before someone from the Gentile community. That might be because Christian girls have found out that the Jewish male that marries a Christian girls will celebrate Christmas with the same gusto as her own family. The secret is out; many Jews like Christmas.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 12:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I think that jews have tended to set themselves apart from the rest of the collective...

Where has this happened?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 01:01 pm
The shooter had a mental health illness and as a result, he received a "General Discharge" from the Army.

As far as the turbans, many Americans confuse the wearing of a turban with being a Muslim and apparently other religions, as well.
Foofie

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 01:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I think that jews have tended to set themselves apart from the rest of the collective, and tended to be successful, which has made them hated/disliked/not trusted.

If you mean we tend to have (in the U.S.) Italian-American friends, rather than other non-Jewish friends that like a good bar brawl, yes, you are right. However, that is not the entire U.S. You might be talking about a slice of society that is considered lower class in the U.S. And, Jews do aspire to upward mobility, so many do avoid lower class individuals, in my opinion.

I do not know what you define as the collective"? It sounds high-falutin', but means nothing and everything?

P.S. Don't worry, I do not want to move to your neck-of-the-woods. Let the neighbors know too; let's not scare the chickens.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 01:05 pm
@Miller,
I figure that an ex soldier who's life revolves around hate of outsiders has put in the time to know the difference between the major groups. The assumed ignorance of this guy has no logical basis.
Miller

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 01:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
He was said to be a neo-Nazi.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 01:10 pm

It 'd NOT be better if he had used a bomb,
or if he 'd driven his car into a crowd at high speed.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 01:13 pm
@Foofie,
The problem of the Jews has been going on for over a thousand years. I think it is less now because so many jews now make an effort to fit it but when we see the irrational support of Israels abuse of the Palistinians from the American elite we know that the Jewish problem still exists. We see with Israel the Jews of America being politically successful even though they don't represent our values.
BillRM

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 01:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
Sorry but this is the working of a sick mind and my bet would be that he did not have a clue to who he was killing.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 01:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

The problem of the Jews has been going on for over a thousand years. I think it is less now because so many jews now make an effort to fit it but when we see the irrational support of Israels abuse of the Palistinians from the American elite we know that the Jewish problem still exists. We see with Israel the Jews of America being politically successful even though they don't represent our values.

What bothers me is some of what you've written above. I find it very hard to believe that you've given serious consideration to the meaning of all your words.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 01:22 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

He was said to be a neo-Nazi.

We have heard a lot of speculation, but all we know is that he was full of rage and is very identity driven. What the source of that rage is and his particular views in identity we don't know. He had just lost his girl and his life seemed to be no where, so the rage could be about deprivation primarily. When America no longer delivers on the promised dream this sort of acting out is to be expected. We best get used to it, because we will see a lot of it as people begin to wake up to how thouroughly fucked America is.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 01:25 pm
@Miller,
Assuming ignorance of others is a cop-out, and it is a violation of the Golden Rule.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 01:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye read your history the Jews in Germany for example did their very best to fit in and to be consider loyal citizens of Germany going further on and off the battlefields to proved that point in WW1 then the Japanese Americans did in WW2.

Hate of the Jews have never had a great deal of logic to it any more then the religions that drive that hate have any rational basic.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 01:28 pm
Quote:
Today, 42.6 percent of the population is of German ancestry, making Wisconsin one of the most German-American states in the United States.

Source: New World Encyclopedia