Breaking News: Shooting in Milwaukee

Foofie

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 12:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Miller wrote:

He was said to be a neo-Nazi.

We have heard a lot of speculation, but all we know is that he was full of rage and is very identity driven. What the source of that rage is and his particular views in identity we don't know. He had just lost his girl and his life seemed to be no where, so the rage could be about deprivation primarily. When America no longer delivers on the promised dream this sort of acting out is to be expected. We best get used to it, because we will see a lot of it as people begin to wake up to how thouroughly fucked America is.

Not really. America is not "thoroughly fucked," since America never was meant to have winners in society that do not contribute something needed, even if that is driving a taxi. Many Americans cannot accept that the country that believed in everyone having an equal chance to succeed, might not be good for today's under-educated masses. In effect, assembly lines, after free land in the 1800's, appeased many mediocre people. Today, one needs to be educated and somewhat dynamic to become a "winner." This is not "America is thoroughly fucked," but the rules of the game have changed, and the bar has been raised for success. Do not blame America; blame the masses in the middle of the bellcurve for complacency.

If you lived in a large urban area, you might see that students whose parents scrape up the tuition for Parochial school have children that often succeed at something, while parents that allow their children to go to public school do not see the same rate of success, in my opinion. Why? Because the lesson in Parochial school is that one must have some direction in life; nothing falls into one's lap. That does not seem to be taught in public school, or at least the popular culture in public school is that things will fall into place, since society does not want a future society of homeless. Public school, in my opinion, promulgates the myth that there will be no losers. That is not the reality - there are winners and losers, and when the losers lose, many want a do over oftentimes, while never admitting they were their own worst enemy by their complacency, starting in grade school.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 12:44 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

I think that jews have tended to set themselves apart from the rest of the collective, and tended to be successful, which has made them hated/disliked/not trusted.

My experience is that Jewish people are well-represented at all levels of the economic/social spectrum in North America.

Do you ever have to hide your intelligence, so as not to alienate mediocre people?
Foofie

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 12:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

A little digging reveals that this crime took place in a wealthy area compared to the Greater Milwaukee area or even the state as a whole. also we have this:

Quote:
Page worked as a driver from 2006 to 2010 for Barr-Nunn Transportation, a trucking company based in Iowa. He was fired in August 2010 after being cited in North Carolina for driving while impaired by alcohol or some other chemical substance.

The company said in a statement that Page was driving his personal vehicle in North Carolina at the time of the citation, and he refused to submit to a blood-alcohol test when pulled over.

After losing his job, Page apparently ran into financial trouble. Public records show that his home, in a rural part of Fayetteville, N.C., was foreclosed on in January. Page had bought the house for $165,000 in 2007, refinanced his mortgage two years later and had fallen far behind in payments.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/excessive-drinking-cost-wade-michael-page-military-career-civilian-job/2012/08/07/274ccc7a-e095-11e1-a421-8bf0f0e5aa11_story.html?hpid=z2

The single minded "journalists" keep droning on about race, but class hate seems probable as well. More investigation is required, but I think we will find that the Milwaukee area Sikhs are far more successful economically than the average Joe, as Sikhs in Briton and the US tend to be.

However, when class correlates to a non-white race (which can include Jews in some people's minds) it might be a bitter pill to swallow for some. Supposedly, in the minds of some, whiteness correlates to superiority. Gee willikers, WWII was fought for just that reason; in both theaters of war.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 12:55 pm
@Foofie,
the japanese attacked pearl harbor for white supremacy?

who knew...
izzythepush

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 12:57 pm
@Rockhead,
WWII started long before Pearl Harbour.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 12:59 pm
@izzythepush,
not so much in the pacific theater...

I was addressing a foofieism, please bear with me...
Foofie

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 01:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

BillRM wrote:

Class hate?

You are of the opinion that the victims on average was wealthy then him at least before he **** up his own life with a bottle?

Sure looks to me that he was blaming others for his failed life. He had nothing and no girl, lashing out at those who had community and wealth is the most natural thing we should expect from him. Religion and race may have been completely besides the point. A great many of the alleged white supremisists are mostly about outrage that the life they once expected to have is gone, the american dream is dead. They blame the newcomers, which is their right though I dont think that the evidence supports their position, but race hate is a byproduct not the main motivation.

However, if you do the math, the inverse would show that the only way to not have this hatred is to appease those who blame others for their own failures. Meaning, those who cannot find success in today's competitive society need make-work jobs that allow them to live comfortably, yet function at a lower level than those that are able to contribute to what society needs.

Are you taking into consideration the "birthright" thinking of the haters. That whiteness equates to feeling that one should be top dog, so to speak?

Would this hatred be shown if the "newcomers" were from Britain, speaking English?

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 01:06 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

the japanese attacked pearl harbor for white supremacy?

who knew...

They did think that they should have hegemony over all Asians. You see. One theater of the war was to see if the Germans should have hegemony over all whites, and I just explained the other theater.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 01:08 pm
@Foofie,
japanese are whiter than other asians?

what a silly world you insulate yourself into...
Foofie

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 01:10 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

japanese are whiter than other asians?

what a silly world you insulate yourself into...

That was not my point and it is a non-sequitor. Japan just had this collective belief that they should have hegemony over the rest of Asia. Please, no more repartee.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 01:11 pm
@Rockhead,
It depends on your viewpoint. You're not the first American to claim WW2 started with Pearl Harbour, we always say it started in 1939 with Germany invading Poland.

For the Chinese though, WW2 started in 1937, (that's a bit Pacificish.)

Feel free to take Foofie down a peg or two.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 01:12 pm
@izzythepush,
I never claimed a start date for the war.

please reread my posts if you think so...

it started in 37 if you must know.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 01:16 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
I went to junior high school with a Sikh boy.
He had a younger brother in one of the lower grades.
Later, in high school, I still saw him from time to time although
we now went to different schools. He drove a big motorcycle
and wanted to be a commercial artist. For all I know he made it. Lost sight of the Nahalsings.
Did he carry a long sword on his belt??
I remember some First Amendment litigation in NYC
to enable them to carry those swords in schools, because of religious mandates.

David
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 01:16 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Feel free to take Foofie down a peg or two.

Are we looking for truth, or just being witty?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 01:17 pm
@izzythepush,
He didn't claim it started with Pearl Harbor. You're putting that into his words.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 01:20 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

...You're not the first American to claim WW2 started with Pearl Harbour, we always say it started in 1939 with Germany invading Poland...

The war started when Hitler wrote Mein Kampf. He talked about the possiblity that the Slavs could one day enslave Germans, I thought. That was the seed.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 01:23 pm
@Rockhead,
Ok, maybe it was just the context that let me think that. You didn't claim that, but Hal from Malcolm in the middle definitely did.

Sorry if I'm being a bit touchy.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 01:27 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

izzythepush wrote:

...You're not the first American to claim WW2 started with Pearl Harbour, we always say it started in 1939 with Germany invading Poland...

The war started when Hitler wrote Mein Kampf.
He talked about the possiblity that the Slavs could one day enslave Germans, I thought. That was the seed.
Probably the best way, the most comprehensive way,
to look at it is that it began in 1914, with a long respite.
I believe that is how Hitler saw it.

General Pershing expected that and he predicted it,
if we did not take the war to the Germans' front doors in Berlin.
He said thay 'd allege that thay were not defeated in battle,
but rather were underhandedly betrayed. He was prescient.

Hitler was blinded by English gas in the last few weeks of combat and confined to a hospital.
He believed that the German Army was giving a decent account of itself.
For some reason, Hindenburg & Ludendorff
had failed to take Corporal Hitler into their confidence
qua their army falling apart with loss of vital supplies.
When Hitler got out of the hospital, he was astonished at the military collapse.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 01:49 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Ok, maybe it was just the context that let me think that.
You didn't claim that, but Hal from Malcolm in the middle definitely did.
I never trusted that guy!

David
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 05:19 am
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/social_issues/july-dec12/hate_08-08.html

Transcript
JUDY WOODRUFF: Now an update on the man responsible for Sunday's shooting rampage in Wisconsin.

Law enforcement authorities said today that Wade Michael Page took his own life on Sunday with a single shot to his head after police had shot him in the stomach. Page killed six people and wounded three others at a Sikh temple on Sunday.

FBI officials said they are still trying to learn of a possible motive and are investigating his links with white supremacy and neo-Nazi groups. An army veteran, Page played guitar and bass with so-called white power rock bands that are known for hateful lyrics.

During a press conference today, FBI officials were asked how they track white supremacy groups.

TERESA CARLSON, FBI: This is an issue where law enforcement has to continually balance the civil liberties, the rights that every U.S. citizen has to think what they want, believe what they want, and say what they want.

Obviously, we cannot investigate people for any of those things. So, no matter how horrendous or reprehensible those things may be, until somebody actually threatens, there's a threat of force or violence, we cannot open an investigation on them.

JUDY WOODRUFF: For more about these groups and about Page himself, we turn to two people who have followed this closely. Mark Pitcavage is the director of investigative research at the Anti-Defamation League. And Pete Simi is an associate professor of criminal justice at the University of Nebraska at Omaha who studies extremist movements. He's the author of the book "American Swastika." He met Page while doing research.

And, gentlemen, we thank you both for being with us.

Mark Pitcavage, to you first.

We know that language matters in talking about these extremist groups. How do you describe the groups that -- that Wade Michael Page was known to be associated himself with?

MARK PITCAVAGE, Anti-Defamation League: Well, the major group that Page associate himself with was a racist skinhead group called the Hammerskins.

And the Hammerskins are one of the largest and oldest hard-core racist skinhead groups in the United States. They started in Texas in the mid to late 1980s and spread out from there. They have pockets of members and supporters in a number of different places around the country, the largest one being in Florida, but also in North Carolina, where Page himself lived for a number of years.

JUDY WOODRUFF: So you're describing it as a racist skinhead group. How do you distinguish that from other so-called white supremacist groups, hate groups? How would you -- help us understand what this particular group stands for, how it stands out from the others.

MARK PITCAVAGE: Sure.

The white supremacist movement in the United States today actually has five main submovements in it: neo-Nazis, traditional white supremacists, like the Ku Klux Klan, racist prison gangs, Christian Identity, which is a racist and anti-Semitic religious sect, and racist skinheads.

Now, racist skinheads have more or less the same ideology as neo-Nazis do, but what differentiates them is that racist skinheads also constitute a distinct subculture, where they have a subculture that began in Great Britain in the late '60s and early '70s. And, eventually, a racist offshoot of that subculture developed and came to the United States.

And they have distinct traditions and clothing and hairstyles and musical styles, and like any subculture, like the punk subculture or the goth subculture. And so, the Hammerskins are distinct because they're one of the most respected groups in that subculture.

And, in particular, they have a very dominant role in the white power music scene in the United States, hosting every year a number of the major white power music concerts -- major by their standards -- and a number of white power music bands affiliate themselves with the Hammerskins.

And Page himself had been associated with the Hammerskins for a number of years, largely through his two of his bands, End Apathy and Definite Hate. And then, by 2011, he actually formally became a Hammerskin himself.

JUDY WOODRUFF: Pete Simi, you -- as we were saying, you actually got to know Wade Michael Page. You spent some time with him. Tell us about him and about how he fit in with this group.

PETE SIMI, University of Nebraska, Omaha: Well, I met Page back in 2001.

And at that time, I was conducting field work in the United States with members of white supremacist groups across the country. I had been doing that since 1997. And by about 1999, I began to focus on southern California and had met a number of folks that were active in white supremacist groups in that area.

And I met Page through another one of my contacts, another one of my research contacts. Page ended up living with this person. So they were housemates. So, for about -- from 2001 to -- for almost three years, Page became one of my regular research subjects, one of my regular contacts who I ended up spending quite a bit of time with doing interviews, but also just kind of hanging out around his house, talking with him, kind of observing him, going to music shows with him, and just trying to figure out kind of how he got involved and why he got involved.

And what I learned from him was that, you know, he had moved out to California shortly before I met him. He moved out there to join a band, Youngland, and became a member of that band, and that was first white power band he became involved in.

He had met some of those members of that band earlier around 2000 at a music event. And this was, you know, a couple of years after he had gotten out of the military. He met some of these folks from this band Youngland and really liked them. They kind of clicked. And shortly thereafter, he decided to relocate to southern California.

And he was pretty new to southern California when I met him. So he was kind of just starting to get kind of acclimated to the scene in southern California, and he was hanging out with members of lots of different groups. He didn't have any specific membership or affiliation with any one particular group at that point in time.

But he was definitely starting to get involved, and was really identifying with the music part especially.

JUDY WOODRUFF: And, Pete Simi, can you characterize for us what he believed and how the music fit in with that?

PETE SIMI: Well, when I met him, he was already pretty indoctrinated into neo-Nazi ideas. He was very anti-Semitic by that time. He was talking about a Zionist or small Jewish conspiracy to essentially dominate world affairs.

He spoke a lot in terms of anti-black terms and felt that blacks were preying on whites on a regular basis. He felt that whites were generally discriminated against within society, and that whites routinely got the short end of the stick and were essentially on the verge of extinction.

So, he had by that time really adopted some of the core elements of a kind of white supremacist world view.

JUDY WOODRUFF: And, Mark Pitcavage, we know you have made a specialty -- a special -- taken a special interest in studying the music of these groups.

How does the music, the lyrics, how does -- how do they use the music to express their views?

MARK PITCAVAGE: Well, you know, as you know, music can be extremely powerful, directly or indirectly.

And they use the music in a number of different ways. Obviously and probably what concerns most people is that they can use music to agitate their audiences, to make them angry, and to direct that anger at particular targets, at Jews, at non-whites, at immigrants, at gay people.

But they also use the music for other reasons as well. The music can convey a shared sense of community, a sense that they're all together as part of the same struggle, the same movement. Sometimes, the music will -- the lyrics will recall or glorify heroes or quote martyrs of the white supremacist movement.

Sometimes, it will exalt particular groups, it will be sort of self-promotional. And all of these things together basically form -- form one of the pillars of the subculture that permeates the white supremacist movement.

JUDY WOODRUFF: Let me ask you, Pete Simi, what about the attitude, just quickly, of these groups toward violence? And how do they draw a line between having such strong views and signaling to their members whether it's all right or not all right to act on those views?

PETE SIMI: It's a fine line.

There's a -- I mean, the rhetoric, whether it's the music, whether it's other types of propaganda literature, things on websites or just the everyday conversations that occur among folks that are involved in this world, it's filled with very aggressive talk. And violence is a prominent feature in terms of how they see the world.

In particular, because they see that whites are on the verge of extinction, they feel that violence to a certain extent, to a large extent, is justifiable. You can view -- even unprovoked predatory violence can be viewed as a form of self-defense by whites to try and essentially save the race.

And so the line between advocating violence very clearly and trying to take a more kind of subtle approach sometimes is easy to skew. And some groups that are heavily involved in violence, after it occurs, will denounce an act of violence such as the incident in Wisconsin, as Volksfront did fairly recently. They denounced the incident.

So, it's a very fine line between the advocacy and the actual practice of violence.

JUDY WOODRUFF: Well, it is a big, big subject, and obviously one that's very troubling. And we thank both of you for talking with us.

Pete Simi, Mark Pitcavage, thank you both.

0 Replies