Breaking News: Shooting in Milwaukee

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 11:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
So far this event is not very interesting.

Seven people shot dead for no good reason is not "interesting"? Confused
What does it take for yet another of these senseless killings to be "interesting" to you?

Quote:
Violence motivated by religon is and so far as we can tell always has been a major past time for humans.

This shooting may not have been motivated by "religion" at all.
We don't know yet.
See above posts.

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 11:53 pm
@msolga,
No we don't know the motive, but we know what it almost certainly is. We see it a lot and this event was small time....right now it is boring, there is nothing to discover here that we don't already know almost certainly.

I grew up near Milwaukee and I know that it is a social and economic disaster area. Any closed group which successfully mines this terrain for wealth will be hated just as the Jews always are.

If this turns out to be something else I may get interested very fast.
msolga

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 11:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
No we don't know the motive, but we know what it almost certainly is.

Which is ...?

Quote:
We see it a lot and this event was small time

I can't believe you just described the deaths of 7 innocent people as "small time".
BillRM

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 06:47 am
@hawkeye10,
Sorry this is likely just a sick SOB that did not even know who the hell he picked to kill other then they look foreign.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 07:12 am

Wade Michael Page Identified As Sikh Temple Shooting Suspect :

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/06/wade-michael-page-identified-sikh-temple-suspect_n_1746542.html?1344257226&ncid=edlinkusaolp00000008
BillRM

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 07:47 am
@msolga,
Quote:
I can't believe you just described the deaths of 7 innocent people as "small time".

Hmm if it was not for the gun and religion angle it would not get likely had gotten all that must play on cable news as the US is a nation of 400 millions and innocent people sadly get kill everyday of the week and 366 days on leap years.

If the man had used a so call assault weapon instead of a handgun it would be getting even more play in my opinion.
msolga

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 08:05 am
@msolga,
From the blog at the end of this article:

Quote:
Report: Alleged Shooter Was Former Member Of Skinhead Band

From the Southern Poverty Law Center:

The man who allegedly murdered six people at a Sikh temple in suburban Milwaukee yesterday, identified in media reports as Wade Michael Page, was a frustrated neo-Nazi who had been the leader of a racist white-power band.

In 2010, Page, then the leader of the band End Apathy, gave an interview to the white supremacist website Label 56. He said that when he started the band in 2005, its name reflected his wish to “figure out how to end people’s apathetic ways” and start “moving forward.” “I was willing to point out some of my faults on how I was holding myself back,” Page said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/06/wade-michael-page-identified-sikh-temple-suspect_n_1746542.html?1344257226&ncid=edlinkusaolp00000008
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 08:20 am
Way too much hate in this world. So senseless.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 10:25 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Way too much hate in this world. So senseless.

That is just humans being humans son, learn up on human nature if you don't want to look like a sap.

The violence on the other had need not be. That is all about the decline of this civilization as we are deep in the death cycle.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 10:47 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Seven dead in a religious-motivated (apparently) shooting doesn't bother anybody here? No comments at all?

After you made the above comment, you did seem to get some responses.

However, without the shooting, should we misbelieve that Sikhs, or any other group that doesn't fit into the white, Christian archaic image of Norman Rockwell's paintings will evoke friendly feelings? This country just has a large constituency that wants to believe that this is a white Christian nation, and the popular culture reinforces it, in my opinion. This could be addressed at the grade school level, with early intervention for those that show a disbelief in the Brotherhood that was taught years ago.

In my opinion, the problem might be that we are living in a country that allows "birthright beliefs" to permeate popular culture. As long as students think that it is foolish to strive for high marks, or that some groups have inherent abilities to get education/jobs, then we are just going to have a class/ethnic/religious contentiousness just below the surface. I hope we never need a wheelbarrow of dollars to buy a loaf of bread, or we could see a very ugly situation in this country, in my opinion.

0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 11:12 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

Hmm if it was not for the gun and religion angle it would not get likely had gotten all that must play on cable news

What are you saying, Bill? That if this guy had used a knife or a club instead of a gun to kill a half a dozen people at one time, then it wouldn't have gotten any "play on cable news"? Get your head out of your ass and think about what you're posting. The gun angle is important only to (1)anti-gun adocates and (2) the NRA and frightened gun owners, nobody else.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 11:50 am
Southampton has one of the largest Sikh communities outside of India. They don't keep themselves in isolation at all, but are involved in local politics and communities. I've been invited to the Gurdwara on more than one occasion, and there's a really good feed afterwards. What isn't eaten is given to the homeless.

They go down the pub, drink beer and eat bacon sandwiches. A lot of 2nd and 3rd generation Sikhs don't even bother with the turbans and beards, and go around clean shaven and with haircuts. The religion is quite pragmatic in that there is no diktat over when the Sabbath must be, just that they have to have one, so in Christian countries they worship on a Sunday.

0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 11:59 am
I'm gonna guess this guy who shot up the Sikh Temple is NOT an atheist. I am gonna go out on the line and say they will find he was reared on Christian doctrine and probably still considers himself one, but not according to Pat Robertson!

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/pat-robertson-blames-sikh-temple-shooting-atheists

Quote:
Today on the 700 Club, Pat Robertson said that “Satanic” atheists were to blame for the shooting at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin. Robertson claimed that “people who are atheists, they hate God, they hate the expression of God,” and are responsible for the massacre, which was committed by a white supremacist. “They’re angry with the world, angry with themselves, angry with society and they take it out on innocent people who are worshiping God,” Robertson continued. He recommended that people “talk about the love of God and hope it has some impact” to stop violence.
BillRM

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 12:26 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
That if this guy had used a knife or a club instead of a gun to kill a half a dozen people at one time, then it wouldn't have gotten any "play on cable news

It would have gotten play it the amount of play that I am referring to and I will bet you that the play this happening with the killings done with a plain handgun will be far less then the play that the killings done in full swat gear with a assault weapon at the movies received.

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 12:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Any closed group which successfully mines this terrain for wealth will be hated just as the Jews always are.

You might not believe me, but Jews are not always hated for their success. The people that really believe this country has been theirs for as long as their families have been here, over centuries, often just think of "the Jews" as a valuable resource. However, those whose families have come here in the last century, or so, admittedly often see "the Jews" as competition for success in a society that values education, etc.

Also, there are some other large minorities in this country that have been pandered to, since this country has needed manpower in the past. Since manpower has been replaced with automation/drones, etc., rivalry may surface at some point when the competition gets stiff. Religion might be the red-herring, but it'll really be a competition between the same groups that fought in Europe over centuries. The more things change, the more they stay the same, the saying goes.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 01:02 pm
@jcboy,
<Rolls eyes re Robertson. He needs a pasture...>
BillRM

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 01:14 pm
I do not think there is any sane logic in the picking of this group as a target but just the workings of a mad man mind and trying to see more into it is not a fruitful thing to do.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 04:54 pm
@jcboy,
Pat Robertson's crowd, the Southern Baptist Convention, were the biggest supporters of Jim Crow until very recently (like, about yesterday) when they saw the political advantage in changing their racist image. Robertson's father Willis once served in the U.S. Senate as one of the leading segregationist politicians in the country. As far as I know, Pat never said his father was morally wrong for being a segregationist. So, "What, me worry" Pat has no room to talk about atheists.

By the way, I'm not even an atheist! I just don't like hypocrites and jerks.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 05:24 pm
@Foofie,
I think we can all agree that Jews make a valuable contribution to the community, wherever that community may be, but that still doesn't stop some people from hating them. One similarity between Sikhs and Jews is that both communities, (with the exception of Israel,) are used to being minorities. That means that by and large they try very hard to fit in.

This thread isn't about an attack on a synagogue, but an attack on a gurdwara, and I would imagine it was because they looked like Moslems, not because they looked like Jews. In the West the real '1930s type' race hate figures are Moslems, not Jews. Islamophobia is a far greater problem than anti-Semitism, (in the West at least.)
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 06:48 pm
@izzythepush,
What I will be looking for here is first of all if this guy was smart enough to know who he was killing. I believe the answer will be yes. Then it will be what his problem with these people are....is it religious or is it economic success.
0 Replies