How old were you when you had your 1st boyfriend/girlfriend?

Sat 3 Dec, 2011 02:21 pm
Did your parents know or did you not tell them? Or were they cool about it or what?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 79 • Views: 59,035 • Replies: 355
Topic Closed

djjd62

Sat 3 Dec, 2011 02:30 pm
@GracieGirl,
first real girlfriend would have been grade 7 or 8, had many schoolboy crushes before then, i think my mom (parents divorced when i was young) only ever met one of my girlfriends and then not until i was in my 20's, i don't think my dad ever met one of them
GracieGirl

Sat 3 Dec, 2011 02:34 pm
@djjd62,
7th or 8th grade? So if you started school on time you were around my age. 13 or 14 right?
Did your parents know you had a girlfriend? Did they care?
djjd62

Sat 3 Dec, 2011 02:36 pm
@GracieGirl,
it was a long time ago, (1974ish), my mom might have known, but i'm not sure, single parent working, raising two kids, she had a lot on her plate
GracieGirl

Sat 3 Dec, 2011 02:39 pm
@djjd62,
Ohh. Yeah, my dad too. But he's still nosy and notices everything.
Are you a dad, djjd?
ossobuco

Sat 3 Dec, 2011 02:43 pm
Twelve. He asked me to go to a movie with him. I was completely stupefied, and it turned out, so was he. We took the bus. I had run out of things to bring up to talk about by the time we got a few blocks from the bus stop. We didn't talk the rest of the date.

He was probably stunned by my asking him if he liked basketball. He was quite short. This didn't dawn on me until later. His cousin happened to be tall and handsome.
When he walked me to my door, I turned around and said I had a very nice time.

May all first experiences be better for both.
My parents were ok with this, although probably engaged in other worries of their own.

I was way older when I had my first sex, and it was fantastic and somewhat set me up for a good life of liking sex, besides knowing that interesting person.

I think of early teens as a time for crushes, which I think are pretty good to experience, both wonderful and excruciating - but not to act on. It's a process.

djjd62

Sat 3 Dec, 2011 02:44 pm
@GracieGirl,
nope, i like my solitude too much for a wife and family
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 3 Dec, 2011 02:46 pm
@GracieGirl,
Depends on how you define boyfriend.
jcboy

Sat 3 Dec, 2011 02:54 pm
@GracieGirl,
When I was 17 I met this sergeant in the marines, he was stationed at El Toro in CA. My mother had just passed away. My father knew about him, wasn’t thrilled because the guy wasn’t Jewish.

We went out for about three months, it was more of a crush. After that I just dated until I met the Puerto Rican last year.
FOUND SOUL

Sat 3 Dec, 2011 02:55 pm
@GracieGirl,
Oh crushes, definately.

First boyfriend, I was 15 nearly 16, although he didn't become my first:)

No, my parents refused to allow me to have a boyfriend, ulitmately, we broke up.

Then they refused for me to go to parties where there were boys, ulimately, I left home:)
ossobuco

Sat 3 Dec, 2011 03:18 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Long story there, I bet.

My description above happened in 1954. Things were different - obviously - but in some ways the same re how people act. The person you read online now would never be quiet through two bus rides, a movie (Taza, Son of Cochise), and walk from a bus stop. Impossible. I was more polite then, more straight up now.

In 1954, dating was a real word. I think the word has some usefulness.
GracieGirl

Sat 3 Dec, 2011 03:32 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Twelve. He asked me to go to a movie with him. I was completely stupefied, and it turned out, so was he. We took the bus. I had run out of things to bring up to talk about by the time we got a few blocks from the bus stop. We didn't talk the rest of the date.

He was probably stunned by my asking him if he liked basketball. He was quite short. This didn't dawn on me until later. His cousin happened to be tall and handsome.

Twelve?! Thats younger than I am. Not fair...
Why were you guys soo awkward and weird? Weren't you friends first or were you strangers?

Quote:

I was way older when I had my first sex, and it was fantastic and somewhat set me up for a good life of liking sex, besides knowing that interesting person.

HAHA! Ewww. TMI, Osso. Razz I don't really wanna talk about sex. Especially not here with you guys. Laughing besides, dating doesn't mean you have sex. Smile

Quote:
I think of early teens as a time for crushes, which I think are pretty good to experience, both wonderful and excruciating - but not to act on. It's a process.

Anyone can have a crush. Everyone does actually. I have tons of crushes but dating is different. Why do you think it's not good to act on crushes? Confused

[/quote]
GracieGirl

Sat 3 Dec, 2011 03:36 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Depends on how you define boyfriend.

Well, everyone knows what 'boyfriend' means. How does it depends?
A boyfriend is like a guy you really like and they like you back and you text and talk all the time and you always hang out and you go places alone on dates and you kiss and stuff. That's what I mean when I say 'boyfriend'.

How do 'you' define boyfriend? Confused
How old were you when you had your first one?
Do you think 13 or 14 is too young?
GracieGirl

Sat 3 Dec, 2011 03:38 pm
@jcboy,
You had your first boyfriend at 17?! Why were you so old? Why'd you wait soo long? Shocked Surprised Confused
FOUND SOUL

Sat 3 Dec, 2011 03:41 pm
@ossobuco,
You can bet, wrapped in cotton wool comes to mind:)

But, having said that, we all learn.. Alot stems from how our parents were bought up, it comes from the understanding of "people" and therefore why their actions may not have been what you would have done:)

It's also funny how we grow and come out of our shell, and how age does not define us, I'm more like I was when I was in my 20's now, but like you was quiet at school.

1963, not much difference really...Dating was more serious . I think of how many times I read, " I was dating him for 2 weeks and then he cheated, or then he said, I wasn't dating you?," But I loved him how could he do that to me? Did you have sex? Yes, why do you ask?
0 Replies

jcboy

Sat 3 Dec, 2011 03:43 pm
@GracieGirl,
Well I was trying to get close to a few girls that had cute brothers but they always turned out to be straight LOL Smile
GracieGirl

Sat 3 Dec, 2011 03:47 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:

Oh crushes, definately.

First boyfriend, I was 15 nearly 16, although he didn't become my first:)

Huh? But you said he was your first boyfriend. Then you said he wasn't? That doesn't really make sense. Lol. Unless, you mean like he was your boyfriend but not a 'real' boyfriend. I've had a boyfriend like that before. It wasn't even like we were really dating so it kinda doesn't count. Is that what you mean?

Quote:
No, my parents refused to allow me to have a boyfriend, ulitmately, we broke up.

Yeah my dad don't let me have a boyfriend either. It sucks and it's soo not fair. Your parents made you break up?

Quote:
Then they refused for me to go to parties where there were boys, ulimately, I left home:)

Haha! I wish I could do that. How old were you when you left? Did you have a job or did you like, move in with a friend or something? Smile
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Sat 3 Dec, 2011 03:49 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:

Did your parents know or did you not tell them? Or were they cool about it or what?

Cool about it? They thought it was great. And hilarious that a seven-year-old boy would be talking about his six-year-old 'beloved.' Laughing Laughing Laughing
ossobuco

Sat 3 Dec, 2011 03:59 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:

ossobuco wrote:

Twelve?! Thats younger than I am. Not fair...
Why were you guys soo awkward and weird? Weren't you friends first or were you strangers?

Because we were strangers - he liked me from afar. I sort of liked him, he was funny. It's true the cousin whom I guess was preferred in the family sent me a valentine in fourth grade with a heart cushioned on the front page..
so looking back decades later, maybe that had something to do with it.
Quote:

HAHA! Ewww. TMI, Osso. Razz I don't really wanna talk about sex. Especially not here with you guys. Laughing besides, dating doesn't mean you have sex. Smile

Sorry to be the one to tell you this, but the question of sex does come up.

Quote:

Anyone can have a crush. Everyone does actually. I have tons of crushes but dating is different. Why do you think it's not good to act on crushes? Confused

Sex is powerful.

[/quote]
George

Sat 3 Dec, 2011 03:59 pm
I'm a late-bloomer