A very angry little boy.

djjd62

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 06:08 pm
@DSMK,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 06:10 pm
@DSMK,
Here's the short version...

Quote:
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2]

I took it from the wiki page on trolls. Bill linked it earlier in this thread. If you see a word in blue it's probably a link. Here, click on this and it will take you to the wiki page on trolls.

DSMK

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 06:13 pm
@JPB,
I see, makes sense.
I'd never come across that term before. Ima getting old Smile
AbbieMcKenley

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 06:28 pm
@DSMK,
Don't just stick around on here, it won't do much.

There are loads of other posts,
You'll like these:
http://able2know.org/topic/43051-1
http://able2know.org/topic/3742-1
http://able2know.org/topic/120228-1
http://able2know.org/topic/140747-1

0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 06:36 pm
@DSMK,
DSMK wrote:

I see, makes sense.
I'd never come across that term before. Ima getting old Smile

Ha - me either when I joined here Razz (errrrrrrr troll terminology) age - we're the young, mids, selectively old, and on the whole - mainly.... couple younguns, the cool age range, mids and muddles and golden oldies Razz Huge wealth of experience. Very interesting mix.

There's quite a lot of us over on facebook too where you get a different idea of who's who. Just PM one of us if you do that medium and you can join us over there if you wish.

We really don't get that many trolls, and rarely on threads such as Abbies - don't worry - I reckon there's a lot of us who will look out, if that isn't offensive for her, til we see's got a handle on who's who, some who will remain silent over the course of the thread, but they'll keep an eye out, ya know to look out for those are not quite so generous in spirit. Abbies' smart - she'll figure soon enough and we can back off if she wishes.

An Unc around at this time, is a worthy eye and reassuring. Be nice to get to know you to. Have a look around on some of the threads and put your 2 Cents in you choose.

She's seems like a feisty wee gal, doesn't seem to suffer fools lightly - she's gonna be a great asset to this community if she feels like hanging out here.

Feel free to join in Uncle D - there's a huge variety of countries, backgrounds, walks of life... and a lotta compassion and perspective around, plus some wicked sense of humours.

This thread is about Indi - if it makes any positive difference in his life - then Abbie achieved a good thing. Well done her.

Trolls usually go disappear if they're not fed.

Take care when you travel back up North (anywhere's North of here) - lotsa snow up there still coming down. Drive carefully.

Bedtime... ack... Night!

Back to Abbies thread...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 06:37 pm
@DSMK,
Hullo Uncle David, one more welcome for ya.

Abbie, have you mentioned A2K to your mom at all? If not by name, just the fact of it? It'd be really easy for her to Google your name or Lilia's and find it -- just an FYI. I kinda hate to say because I think having someplace you can vent without worrying about hurting anyone's feelings is valuable to you right now, but thought I'd mention just in case you didn't know.
AbbieMcKenley

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 06:44 pm
@sozobe,
If my mum knew what google was, I wouldn't have written half the stuff I have done. Smile
I haven't mentioned it too her though, but to be honest I havent mentioned any more than nessiary to her recently, it's easier to keep away from her, I think my uncle (or DSMK as I should refer to him now) will agree with me there.
Laughing
ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 06:53 pm
@sozobe,
Abbie made note of quoting stuff from here early on, re the compromise on Lilia coming home. She also said she loves her parents. And a lot of us - not myself but not from rancor, just obliviousness - expressed a grasp of being the parents and their take on day to day stuff.. Plus, the dad holding Lilia at the end, I'd say good adjectives but it seems invasive to even comment.

I might have more to say about doctors, but that's a large subject.
0 Replies

DSMK

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 06:59 pm
@sozobe,
Uh Oh!
Don't get her started. Smile
My sister-in-law isn't top of the most loved list at the moment, nor has she been for a while in my book at least.
I laughed reading Abbie's profile as well, I don't know if any of you have read it, but i think it pretty much sums up the relationships there. Laughing

It's 1am Abs, i'm off to bed, see you tomorrow.
jespah

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 07:01 am
@DSMK,
Good morning!

Ah, the pleasures of an international site -- there's always something happening, even while we sleep (can't you people come to my house and clean my oven or something while you're at it? Smile).

Anyway --- welcome, Uncle D! My uncles are, alas, all gone now (I'm, uh, I'll be a half-century old in a few years but don't tell anyone), but my husband, who is also on this site -- one of the married couples ossobucco referred to -- is an uncle, and my Dad is an uncle and my brother is one, too, and so I've got a soft spot in my heart for avuncular types.

I also write way too many em dashes. Hope you'll stick around. We love good people.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 08:54 am
@DSMK,
Welcome to the forum, David!
I hope that u will enjoy it.

From Abbie 's posts, we know that she holds u in the highest esteem and affection
and those posts have revealed that her vu is well justified.

I am very sympathetic to the plight of your nephew,
whose emotional distress each day at being left in school,
has been most poignantly described by Abbie.
Sitting here 1,000s of miles away in New York City, I feel a sense of empathy.

(Presumably, u have taken notice of my fonetic spelling;
I 'm endeavoring to lead by example.)

My grandfather came from your country in the 1800s; a place called Devon.
Indeed, I 'd be an Englishman, if my uncle had not gotten into a disagreement
with his father (my grandfather) over proper English table manners.

David
DSMK

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 02:11 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Ah, table manners.
A subject that shall destroy relationships for many years to come, i'm sure.
I once had a client who used phonetic spelling in a far more extreme manner.
It was rare to find very many vowels in his letters.
"From Abbie 's posts, we know that she holds u in the highest esteem and affection
and those posts have revealed that her vu is well justified."
Would become:
"Frm Abi's psts we no tht shi hlds u in the hiust estem and afectshun and thws psts huv rveld tht hr vu is wll jstfied.
Until you really try to read it, it simply looked like another language on the paper, fortunately yours is readable. Smile

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 03:03 pm
@DSMK,
DSMK wrote:
Ah, table manners.
A subject that shall destroy relationships for many years to come, i'm sure.
I once had a client who used phonetic spelling in a far more extreme manner.
It was rare to find very many vowels in his letters.
"From Abbie 's posts, we know that she holds u in the highest esteem and affection
and those posts have revealed that her vu is well justified."
Would become:
"Frm Abi's psts we no tht shi hlds u in the hiust estem and afectshun and thws psts huv rveld tht hr vu is wll jstfied.
Until you really try to read it, it simply looked like another language on the paper, fortunately yours is readable. Smile
In theory, there shoud be hi fidelity between
the spoken and the written word; like Spanish.
Most English is already fully fonetic; there remains
only a small percentage of words that r atavistic throwbacks
to their Germanic origins.

David
P.S.:
Congratulations on your forthcoming vacation in Florida.
DSMK

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 05:34 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I was seriously begining to consider the psychic ability of this sites participants until i realised that Abbie had more than likely mentioned the Holiday Laughing
Yes, it should be good.
Second holiday in 6 years, and the last was only for 5 days in France when Lilia was in remission.
Something very certain to look forward to.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 06:11 pm
@DSMK,
DSMK wrote:
I was seriously begining to consider the psychic ability
of this sites participants until i realised that Abbie
had more than likely mentioned the Holiday Laughing
Yes, it should be good.
Second holiday in 6 years, and the last was only for 5 days in France when Lilia was in remission.
Something very certain to look forward to.
Yes; I was discussing Florida with her on another thread, about surfing.
I 'm going there in a week; its frigid in NY, below freezing: 27 degrees, according to my computer.
Its expected to drop to 11 degrees tonight.
I usually go down there over the Valentine 's Day and George Washington 's Birthday holidays each year.
Its like an anachronistic trip back to last summer: very welcome.

David
AbbieMcKenley

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 06:18 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Ahh, forgot America was all in Fahrenheit.

So, 27 degree's F is just under freezing but 11 f is about -10 c

You'd better wear all you're clothes to bed then Smile
Night.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 06:21 pm
@AbbieMcKenley,
I keep my bedroom rather warm, usually in the 80s.

Good nite, Abbie.

David
0 Replies

Phantom Menace

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 01:41 pm
@AbbieMcKenley,
ifYOU knew what google was you'd recognize famous english short stories and not think some poster wrote them up
Izzie

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 02:12 pm
@AbbieMcKenley,
Hey Abbie

How you doing? Have you got any exams going on right now?

Hoping things are settling (as much as they can be at home). How's the young fella managing? Have the school implemented any changes?

How's Zulu fitting into the family, everything chewed yet?

AbbieMcKenley

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 02:45 pm
@Phantom Menace,
Lol. Laughing