A very angry little boy.

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 02:48 pm
So, my little brother has obviously been really confused and upset since Lilia died.

I know it's not really supposed to be up to me to deal with him but, I've more or less brought him up.

My parents don't see any problem with how he's acting at the moment, insisting it's a normal reaction but i just wanted to get a slightly wider view.

I normally drop him off to school on my way to class. On the way there he'll cling to my arm begging me not to make him go and trying to drag me back home. When we get there he hides behind my back screaming and crying, compleatly terrorfied. If you could hear him, he genuinly sounds like he's being tortured. The teacher has to hold him back whilst I leave with him still crying and begging. "NO, NO PLEASE, NO DONT GO, ABBIEEEEE!" It's heartbreaking. He hasn't been like this since pre-school. When I pick him up after school the teacher tells me about how he crys all day and shouts at people to leave him alone or chucks anything handy at them if they come close. He will very rarely play with the other kids at lunch time (These children he's known since he was a baby, this is a small village, everyone knows everyone) and simply sits with his arms and legs folded in the playground. Yet, when i pick him up he'll just hold my hand and bury his face in my jumper, not a word.

At home he's better, he'll play with May or me, seems relativly happy until it starts to get dark (around 5:30). He'll either go outside and search the sky frantically, or he'll ask me; "Can you call Lilia so i can speak to her?" and when tell him that we can't call Lilia he will ball his hands into fists stand in the room and scream "NO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOO" When he finishes this, he'll stand there looking so desolate with his head bowed and lips quivering. He'll rip pages out of books, drop plates and mugs so they smash, kick things, and people, pinch himself

He's started wetting the bed again, something he proudly stopped doing when he was about 4. More than once he's come home from school with differnt trousers on. He's 6 now.

This is a conversation he had earlier;
Indi- "Did i make Lilia die?
Me - "Course you didn't, how would you have made her die?"
Indi- "I was angry with her before"
Me - "I've been angry with you before, but your still alive arn't you?"
Indi- "Then why won't she come home?"

He knows why, i'm pretty sure he understands that he can't see her again, yet he still asks.

He's asked me numerous times if i'm going to die, he's my parenst, his teacher, May (who's doing really well by the way)

Since my mum told him that dying was like going into long sleep I bet you can imagine what that made him think. So he now is scared of sleeping incase he doesn't wake up, infact, the only way he will sleep is on someones lap with them rocking him, like a baby.

I just really don't know what to do, he doesn't seem to respond to anything, my parents told me it's a normal reaction and that he'll calm down.
I appreciate that kids do have reactions like this to death and such but this seems way too extreem to me, his teacher recomended that he gets some bereavment councilling yet when i mentioned this to my mum she made it sound as if i was over reacting and that it would be cruel to make him go to councilling when he's always hated it.

I'm compleatly lost for what to do, any advice? I know theres loads of parents and such on here who're not so, narrow minded.

Neutral Sorry, that was a long post.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 15,472 • Replies: 198

Izzie

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 03:06 pm
@AbbieMcKenley,
Hey Abbie

He's understandably confused and upset.

I worry a little for you having to cope with the load you are bearing...

but...

there are people that can help Indi

my friend's child went to these people

http://www.jeremiahsjourney.org.uk/about-us/who-are-we.html

there are different agencies around that can help

Bereavement Services usually (the ones I spoke with which included CRUSE http://www.crusebereavementcare.org.uk/ ) do not usually see families immediately - I know, that doesn't seem to make much sense to me either - they allow a grieving period, adjustment period... a timescale of when they can then counsel the family...

however, I spoke to a wonderful lady on the CRUSE helpline, they may be able to give you some good advice.

I sound pretty clinical here - don't mean to - but, there are people here who can help, on A2K and..... in the UK.

I've PM'd you something more local to you. Maybe give them a call, they do understand and they can offer help - it may not be immediate tho.

I think if your parents could maybe talk to Indi's school too, the teachers there may be able to help. There will be a SENCO there - they deal with the Special Educational Needs of children. Your SENCO at your school could help as they will have the resources and they know who to contact.

If you need more info there... feel free to ask.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 03:07 pm
AbbieMcKenley wrote:

I should add, that before he was a perfectly normal little boy. Sure he had tantrums and such but otherwise he was a happy and gentle kid.

He is still a perfectly normal little boy. Going through a rough patch is all.

Sorry to hear it. I have had some similar experiences with relatives (though not my own kids) and seeing a counselor, someone outside the family, was effective in helping.

I hope you can help him find the peace he needs to move on!

Cycloptichorn
AbbieMcKenley

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:18 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I hope you can help him find the peace he needs to move on!

Yeah, me too.

Thanks

A-M
jespah

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:44 pm
@AbbieMcKenley,
I'd suggest counseling too. I mean, even if he's always hated it, uh, he's 6. Perhaps he'll feel differently about it.

He really needs to have an outlet for these emotions which does not involve shouting at other kids, etc.
AbbieMcKenley

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:03 pm
@jespah,
Yeah, i think i'm just going to keep pushing for the counseling.
Izzie's sent me some links and stuff, they look pretty promising, and i'll nag the Pastoral Care officer again tomorrow. Smile
Night.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:16 pm
@AbbieMcKenley,
Abbie, I can assure you that he is NOT just going through a rough patch. The symptoms you describe are real and it may take a long time for the hurt to heal.

How do I know this? Because we are raising a 10 ½ year old boy that lost his 2 month old baby brother when he was 6 years old. The same age as your brother.

We experienced the same thing with the clinging and hiding behind us when we took him to school. He was in grade 1 at the time and had an older male teacher. <more on that later>

On one occassion he actually left the school. They didn't even know he left and it was me who found him. His school work suffered greatly and he effectively lost an entire year of school. The year started at the beginning of September and his brother died mid August. He became withdrawn and hard to get through to. He had little interest in most things despite trying to involve him in everything. He could not understand why his brother died.

We have always attended church regularly and he did not blame God. He did not blame us. He did not blame his absentee father. He did not blame his half-sister and he did not blame himself. Although he too had thoughts of jealousy etc. that he thought may have been part of it. Like you, we explained to him that Christopher died because he was sick, not because of anything that was or was not done.

We expressed our concerns to the school and to his teacher. The man that was mentioned earlier. The teacher was no help at all and only shared the fact that he had terrible feelings when his mother died. This man was an adult at the time. No help here. Maybe even a cause of regression.

The school was of little help other than providing a counsellor when necessary at the school. I question the credentials of said counseller. His school work continued to suffer and we realized that was because he had lost grade one and they promoted him to grade two where he struggled even more. It actually took a couple more years for him to catch up. His reading, math etc. suffered greatly. He is now in grade 5 and has finally become the academic student that we knew he could be. He went from C's & D's to A's & B's this year.

What I am trying to say is that the anger, yelling, improper social behaviour etc. will run their course and with your help and love should become part of the past. Talk to him often of his sister because he finds it hard to be apart from her and your sharing of her memory keeps her with you both.

Our guy still speaks of Christopher even though he was only two months of age when he died. He now has a 3 year old half brother and though it was hard at first, they are best buds despite the age difference. Christopher would be 4 now.

I have recently spoken to him about his feelings back then and he felt mostly anger and frustration in not being able to do anything. After all.... he was the big brother.

In your case, your brother was the little brother and your sister was closer in age to him than you are. From your posts, it seems that you have the adult roll that has been somehow delegated from your parents. You have shown a maturity in your posts and that is a good thing for your brother.

Even though I don't know you, I must admit that I did shed a tear when your sister eventually passed. I had been following from the beginning. When such a thing affects total strangers, you can imagine how it affects your brother.

Love him, nurture him and keep his mind occupied.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Intrepid

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:21 pm
@Phantom Menace,
You could have picked something else for your first post.
AbbieMcKenley

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:25 pm
@Phantom Menace,
Quote:
mum she made it sound as if i was over reacting and that it would be cruel to make him go to councilling when he's always hated it.

Ok, perhaps i didn't make that part clear.

He hasn't always hated counsiling. My mother barely knows her own son, infact, his last counsiler was a really nice guy who my brother considered a friend.

I would never force my brother into activies he hated unless nessisary. Do you suggest that i stop taking him to school and let him sit at home all day?

Personally, what i would say is making him angry is the 5 year suffering and eventual witnessing of the death of an amazing sister who he and we all adored.

I would do anything for my siblings so i'd say you've got some nerve to accuse me of abusing him.
djjd62

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:29 pm
@Phantom Menace,
Phantom Menace wrote:
I suffered myself as a child and want no child forced into servitude even if it's one or two hours a week.

boo hoo

so you claim it didn't work for you, so no one should do it

grow up
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:31 pm
@Phantom Menace,
Phantom Menace wrote:

i'm sorry i didn't know any details i just don't see how it can be RIGHT to force children or anyone else defenseless into confessions of any kind

everyone has the right to remain silent if he wants to, even children!!!!!

That's sort of like 'forcing' someone who has a broken leg to see a doctor.

Sure, they can stay crippled if they want. But it's foolish, and it's the job of those who look after a child to keep such foolish things from happening.

Cycloptichorn
Phantom Menace

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:34 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
i disagree, all doctors and non doctors can agree someone's leg is broken but you'll never find 2 "counsellors" to agree on a course of action

i think the little boy is abused and if i can do anything to stop the abuse i have to try, so what's your problem with that????
AbbieMcKenley

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:35 pm
@Phantom Menace,
Silent as he may remain, personally, i'd rather my brother grows up to have taken only positive things from the amazing fight my sister put up. I'd rather he found way to express his feelings so he didn't feel so confused. I would rather he was able to talk to someone other than me, who can help him.

I will not sit back and watch my brother fall apart emotionally, nor will i watch a highly intelligent child throw all that away.

No, it is not right to force children into UNNESSIARY actions however, by not encouraging him to have counsiling and go to Judo and other activities, that i would consider abuse.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:40 pm
@Phantom Menace,
Phantom Menace wrote:

i disagree, all doctors and non doctors can agree someone's leg is broken but you'll never find 2 "counsellors" to agree on a course of action

i think the little boy is abused and if i can do anything to stop the abuse i have to try, so what's your problem with that????

You are quite incorrect about that. What experience do you have with the field of counseling and psychology which would lead you to make such a statement?

Nothing that I read in the above account points to abuse of the child; on the contrary, he is clearly experiencing emotional distress. Why you would want him to continue to suffer in silence is beyond my ken, when he could move forward by discussing his problems with people who are trained to help.

I think your attitude against Counselors probably reveals much more about yourself then it says about anything else. Whatever bad experience that you had, isn't the case for many others, so don't pre-judge their ability to be helped.

Cycloptichorn
AbbieMcKenley

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:50 pm
@Phantom Menace,
First of all. **** off.
Then, tell exactly how i am "abusing" him.
Have I not already said that he has nothing against counsiling?
I hope to god you don't have a brother.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:54 pm
@Phantom Menace,
Phantom Menace wrote:

do YOU question the evidence of X rays, or do you think the opinions of "counsellors" are always in agreement in the same way at those of RADIOLOGISTS????

broken leg is broken leg, there's one way to fix it, your "emotional" diagnosis is YOURS and yours alone

i'm disgusted by the idea any defenseless creature should be forced into anything because of someone's opinion, sounds like cruelty, if that was my own brother i'd never do it

whoever this abbie is she sounds like Lucy from the Charlie Brown cartoons, only one who knows what's good for the poor little child, well I hope she croaks before she signs him up for "counselling"

You sound like a real asshole, you know that? Why don't you try and show some compassion to someone who recently had a death in the family.

Children are not considered to be competent judges of whether or not they need to go to counseling, and for good reason; they don't have the perspective it takes to understand how it can help.

I would guess that you are not an adult and also lack the ability to judge what would and would not be helpful. Please don't take bad experiences that you may have had and assume that everyone's experiences would be as bad.

Cycloptichorn