Lash

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 10:01 pm
@LionTamerX,
It was incredible. She is a juggernaut. Bring it!
dubium est libertat

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 10:03 pm
@DrewDad,
True believers scare me too. Give me facts , not faith. Reason, not religion.
There was certainly an abundance of believers at the RNC tonight; but such
a lack of facts. Seems like everyone repeated the same speech. If anyone would bother to check the facts, Palin received about $29 million in federal
earmarks while mayor , and left the town in debt of about $22 million. Population was roughly 7,000 back then. That is some great executive decision making; besides being a creationist, anti-choice; secessionist, and a
flip-flopper on the bridge to nowhere. Can't wait to see her debate Biden.
Lash

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 10:03 pm
@Lash,
I couldn't believe how I felt seeing a woman, a mother with her children, raise hell on that stage. I hate to tell you people. She is going to attract some women. I expect the multitude of women here to buzz in and argue the point....but I'd be proud to have a woman like her shatter that glas ceiling. She is a reformer and a brave individualist.

She was smart, funny, brave and in YOUR FACE.

Biden beware.
Ticomaya

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 10:05 pm
@dubium est libertat,
dubium est libertat wrote:
Can't wait to see her debate Biden.

I'm looking forward to it too.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 10:07 pm
@joefromchicago,
I have to disagree. If she was truly devoted to her family, she would, knowing that at this particular point in time her daughter's pregnancy would become dinner table conversation with people deliciously assuming the worst as they generally do and being the mother of a newly born downs syndrome child, continue to serve as Governor and let her star rise at a time when it would not be a source of controversy and embarrassment to her daughter and perhaps the family of the self styled "******* redneck who is baby's daddy. . Armed with that knowledge she went ahead. Piss poor. I don't know of a lot of loving mothers who would do that. Period. Country first indeed.
FreeDuck

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 10:11 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I couldn't believe how I felt seeing a woman, a mother with her children, raise hell on that stage. I hate to tell you people. She is going to attract some women. I expect the multitude of women here to buzz in and argue the point....but I'd be proud to have a woman like her shatter that glas ceiling. She is a reformer and a brave individualist.

She was smart, funny, brave and in YOUR FACE.

Biden beware.

She definitely gave a good speech and I am not one who believes that communication skills such as those are empty and useless.

If I am being honest, Ill say that I could probably live with a McCain presidency, and Palin has my respect (though there is still something off-putting for me that I cant put my finger on). But after the last 8 years, I dont know what they could possibly do to make me believe that things can change without changing the party in power. The Republican name is mud for me for the foreseeable future. If any candidate could soften that, it is McCain. But we are just too fucked now for me to think that R stands for anything other than Retro.

Again, I am looking forward to seeing the factcheck for this speech.
hawkeye10

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 10:13 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
excuse me, if Palin was "country first" they why has she been affiliated with "third party"?
Quote:
Among the new recruits was Todd Palin, whose wife, Sarah, would later become governor of Alaska. The Palins attended the party’s convention in their hometown, Wasilla, in 1994, according to party officials, where the party called for a revote on statehood and a draft constitution for an independent Republic of Alaska. Mr. Palin joined the party.

Ms. Palin remained a Republican and never joined the Alaskan Independence Party, but returned to its convention in 2006 to speak as candidate for governor. After she had been elected, she recorded a video greeting that was played at the party convention this year. “Good luck on a successful and inspiring convention,” she said. “Keep up the good work, and God bless you.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/04/us/politics/04party.html
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 10:22 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
What a load of horse ****, BPB.
Ticomaya

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 10:27 pm
@LionTamerX,
LionTamerX wrote:
Her voice is every bit as shrill and grating as Hillary's.

I figured out who she reminds me of: Julia Roberts.
dubium est libertat

@FreeDuck,
(though there is still something off-putting for me that I cant put my finger on)
Yes, Mr. Duck there is something off putting about her. She tried to ban books in the Wasilla public library. All the curators from the Wasilla's museum quit because of her tyranny. Bad choice, bad judgment, good riddance, John McSame. Can you really see a creationist making real life decisions for our nation?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

@Ticomaya,
Its the lip thing. I can see that.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 10:42 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I have to disagree. If she was truly devoted to her family, she would, knowing that at this particular point in time her daughter's pregnancy would become dinner table conversation with people deliciously assuming the worst as they generally do and being the mother of a newly born downs syndrome child, continue to serve as Governor and let her star rise at a time when it would not be a source of controversy and embarrassment to her daughter and perhaps the family of the self styled "******* redneck who is baby's daddy. . Armed with that knowledge she went ahead. Piss poor. I don't know of a lot of loving mothers who would do that. Period. Country first indeed.

Well, let me be clear. I wrote: "She came across as personable, feisty, and devoted to her ever-increasing family." I didn't say that she is devoted to her family, only that she came across as devoted to her family. Palin established her image as a devoted mother (and soon-to-be grandmother); it will be the job of others to establish if the image is accurate or not. But then we shouldn't expect her to do much more than establish her image in an acceptance speech. After all, she wasn't giving a closing argument in a trial or a deathbed confession.

As for Palin's duty to her pregnant daughter, I think you're treading very close to a double standard here. I don't recall any similar sentiments from you, for instance, when John Edwards decided to run for president despite his duty to his cancer-stricken wife. But the fact is that one is presented with very few opportunities in life to run on a major-party ticket, and there's certainly no guarantee that Sarah Palin will get a second bite at this particular apple (Allah willing). It is, to be sure, unfortunate that her one shot at political stardom should coincide with her unmarried teenage daughter getting knocked up, and I'm sure Bristol Palin is simply mortified that her mother's sudden appearance on the national stage has made hers America's most talked-about bun-in-the-oven since Pop'n Fresh, but them's are the breaks. Palin is tough -- she's a hockey mom, she's like a pitbull (fyi, she's the one wearing the lipstick). And Bristol will get over it -- after all, it's not like she is going to be dwelling anywhere but in the dim twilight of Alaskan obscurity when the baby is due in January.
cicerone imposter

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 11:00 pm
Most of the statements she made tonight (and I'm talking from having not listened to her speech), will be challenged handily. She's got nothing to stand on, and all of her "I'm going to ......." is as hallow as she is.
Ticomaya

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 11:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You missed a good speech, c.i. But you wouldn't have liked it ... she pretty much did this to your candidate:

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/1015/germansmackrg0.gif

... except with grace and humor.
Rockhead

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 11:08 pm
@Ticomaya,
She's a wacko, you can quote me...

Gawd hep yas.

(insert smiley flying pig here...)
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 11:11 pm
@Ticomaya,
I think I had too much red meat tonight.
Lash

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 11:25 pm
@Ticomaya,
It's so funny to see how the party line is being toed so stridently. She has them running scared. Female news types were saying how Harry Reid had better watch his ass, calling her "shrill." I am so damn glad that FINALLY men will be forced to watch the buzz words they use to denounce women. I have heard shrill women...Palin was cool, calm and even. It is only someone who wishes to dismiss her as a woman who would use that word.

The Dems are just furious that once again, the Republicans have put up a qualified, intelligent member of a minority. She handled EVERY issue with brilliance and humor. Something the Dems seemed to have just run out of.

She nailed Obama to the wall as well.
okie

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 11:34 pm
Ho humm, Palin did okay, but could have been better. Speech too long, snippy at times, too shrill at times, had some good lines, but overall I was disappointed. To be accurate, there were very good stretches within the speech, but some not as good. Substance just okay, she should have concentrated more on the serious policies by summarizing them in a more serious manner, pounding home the points, the most critical points, energy, defense, the economy, etc. Criticism of Obama was okay, but should have been cut down a bit to make the best impact rather than droning on.

Making speeches is just part of the job, but does not determine how she does the job. I would suggest all this woman needs is some more seasoning, to polish her craft. Many of her ideas and beliefs are sound, and common sense, and that is the most important thing.

Romney was second best.

Huckabee was the best.

Hate to say it folks, but I question McCain on this pick, just based on this speech. I think she may be a sound policy person, but for her to really give a great speech, she will need some more spit and polish. It will be interesting to see the polls. And I would also say, this is only the beginning, and she may only become more energized and more proficient. I don't think she is a quitter, and she is plenty intelligent and probably a quick learner. One of her strong points may be energy, which is a big issue right now, and one that she has dealt with on an intimate basis in Alaska.

Good luck, McCain.
okie

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 11:36 pm
@Lash,
Woe, Lash, glad to see your evaluation. Perhaps women are best qualified to evaluate other women?
Eva

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 11:46 pm
It's no wonder that Sarah Palin's speech sounded so familiar. It is widely known that Matthew Scully wrote Palin's speech.

"...Matt Scully, a former Bush White House speechwriter who helped draft some of the major foreign-policy addresses during the president’s first term, is working on Palin’s acceptance speech to the convention Wednesday night..."

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/stumper/archive/2008/09/02/bushies-come-to-palin-s-rescue.aspx
0 Replies