Debra Law

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 05:48 pm
I've been reading the blogs and the comments. Almost everyone who has spoken out is shocked and disgusted with McCain's choice. They are truly offended. I saw a video clip of Sarah Palin stating she won't answer the VP question until someone answers her question: "What is it exactly that the VP does everyday?" ROFL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=006axc2aELE

Lash

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 05:49 pm
@Lash,
<raises eyebrows> Looking better all the time.
(web excerpt>

U.S. Senator John McCain today announced that he has selected Alaska Governor Sarah Palin to be his running mate and to serve as his vice president.

Governor Palin is a tough executive who has demonstrated during her time in office that she is ready to be president. She has brought Republicans and Democrats together within her Administration and has a record of delivering on the change and reform that we need in Washington.

Governor Palin has challenged the influence of the big oil companies while fighting for the development of new energy resources. She leads a state that matters to every one of us -- Alaska has significant energy resources and she has been a leader in the fight to make America energy independent.

In Alaska, Governor Palin challenged a corrupt system and passed a landmark ethics reform bill. She has actually used her veto and cut budgetary spending. She put a stop to the "bridge to nowhere" that would have cost taxpayers $400 million dollars.

As the head of Alaska's National Guard and as the mother of a soldier herself, Governor Palin understands what it takes to lead our nation and she understands the importance of supporting our troops.

Governor Palin has the record of reform and bipartisanship that others can only speak of. Her experience in shaking up the status quo is exactly what is needed in Washington today.

AP reports on the Palin pick:

John McCain tapped little-known Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to be his vice presidential running mate, two senior campaign officials told The Associated Press on Friday.

A formal announcement was expected within a few hours at a campaign rally in swing-state Ohio.

Palin, 44, is a self-styled hockey mom and political reformer who has been governor of her state less than two years.

Palin's selection was a stunning surprise, as McCain passed over many other better known prospects, some of whom had been the subject of intense speculation for weeks or months.

At 44, she is a generation younger that Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware, who is Barack Obama's running mate on the Democratic ticket.

She is three years Obama's junior, as well _ and McCain has made much in recent weeks of Obama's relative lack of experience in foreign policy and defense matters.

Palin flew overnight to an airport in Ohio near Dayton, and even as she awaited her formal introduction, close aides said they had believed she was at home in Alaska.

She is a former mayor of Wasilla who became governor of her state in 2006 after ousting a governor of her own party in a primary and then dispatching a former governor in the general.

She's too conservative for me...but, then again, so is Obama...haha. I like her style, and I'd like to see a woman in the White House as well. <smiling> A reformer (by action, not words), one who challenges her own party if she feels she needs to, who does it "going backwards and in heels."

Cycloptichorn

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 05:51 pm
@Lash,
The corruption investigation, the one she's hiding documents in? That doesn't mean a thing to you, Lash?

I suppose it's not surprising; it's shades of Cheney, another person who never seemed to trouble you much with his corruption.

But wait till the commercials start. It will be devastating to her.

Oh yeah -

Quote:

In Alaska, Governor Palin challenged a corrupt system and passed a landmark ethics reform bill. She has actually used her veto and cut budgetary spending. She put a stop to the "bridge to nowhere" that would have cost taxpayers $400 million dollars.

First of all, she supported the bridge, until it got unpopular in Washington. She's on the record multiple times supporting it. So this is a lie.

Second, she still cost the taxpayers that 400 million, because she kept the money. She didn't save anyone anything. You do realize this, right?

Cycloptichorn
Lash

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 05:53 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I don't know how you can even SAY corruption...with all the gangsters in the Democrat party. ..and explain Ayers again...the Daley's connection to obama? Not flying here or anywhere...

Laughing Laughing
slkshock7

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 05:54 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra,
You're looking at the wrong blogs...conservative blogs are mostly enthusiastic.
0 Replies

old europe

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 05:54 pm
@squinney,
Wikipedia keeps thea 'history' page about each entry that exists. You can go to the history and see who has change what.

The interesting changes to Palin's entry start at 8:10 am on Thurday:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sarah_Palin&offset=20080829122844&limit=500&action=history

And Wikipedia also offers a function to compare the entries before and after the changes were made side by side:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sarah_Palin&diff=234778085&oldid=234718011

On the left side is the version of the page before the changes were made, and on the right side is the version after changes. Relevant changes are in red.

0 Replies

Debra Law

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:00 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
And she continued to lie about it in her acceptance speech:

Quote:
Along with fellow reformers in the great state of Alaska, as governor, I've stood up to the old politics as usual, to the special interests, to the lobbyists, the big oil companies, and the good-old- boy network.

(APPLAUSE)

When oil and gas prices went up so dramatically and the state revenues followed with that increase, I sent a large share of that revenue directly back to the people of Alaska. And we are now -- we're now embarking on a $40 billion natural gas pipeline to help lead America to energy independence.

(APPLAUSE)

I signed major ethics reform. And I appointed both Democrats and independents to serve in my administration. And I championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress. In fact, I told Congress -- I told Congress, "Thanks, but no thanks," on that bridge to nowhere.

(APPLAUSE)

If our state wanted a bridge, I said we'd build it ourselves. Well, it's always, though, safer in politics to avoid risk, to just kind of go along with the status quo. But I didn't get into government to do the safe and easy things. A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why the ship is built.

http://community.adn.com/adn/node/130001
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:02 pm
@Lash,
Pathetic, Lash. This is your version of 'Clinton did it!'

Please directly address how you feel about her corruption issues, instead of blaming bogeymen on the left. I'd also like you to address the lie about the bridge to nowhere and the money that she kept.

Cycloptichorn
ehBeth

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:07 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

I can only conclude that McCain thought that he was choosing Michael Palin:

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/4/4c/Biggus.jpg

it was an easy mistake to make

http://www.grizzlybay.org/SarahPalinVikings.jpg
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:11 pm
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5687512&page=1

Palin to soon be deposed in her corruption investigation.

How does it feel to have a VP candidate that is the active subject of investigation, Lash? Reassuring?

Quote:
The legislative investigation centers on Palin's dismissal of Monegan, who says that he was contacted several times by the governor and her husband, Todd Palin, and that they pressured him to fire Wooten, who was locked in a contentious divorce and custody battle with Palin's sister, Molly McCann.

"Obviously, there was an issue," says Monegan, who claims that the governor talked to him twice and e-mailed him two or three times about the issue. "And did she want us to do more than discipline him? Yeah, anyone can tell you that.

"No one ever -- not her, not her staff -- has ever said, 'Fire Trooper Wooten,'" adds Monegan. "They all said, 'He's not the sort we'd like to have represent Alaska state troopers.' But the intention was clear."

Monegan says that he also met with Todd Palin in the governor's office in January 2007 and claims, "He showed me ... private investigator reports, letters, correspondence" that raised issues suggesting Wooten should be punished.

But Monegan says when he brought the information back to his office and compared it to the commission's internal file on Wooten, which contained complaints filed by Palin's sister, he says he didn't find anything new.

Monegan says Wooten had already been disciplined by his predecessor for the same complaints raised by Palin and her husband.

"They were already done deals and he had already been punished," says Monegan, who adds that the governor called him late at night on his cellphone a few days after his meeting with Todd Palin.

"There was no new evidence, and I called [Todd Palin] back and told him it was a closed case," Monegan says. "He wasn't happy to hear that. I got a subsequent phone call from the governor about it, and she wasn't happy, either."

In total, Monegan says he and his office received 24 calls over 17 months from the governor, her husband and her staff about Wooten.

Palin has already had to walk her story back once. She's already been caught in lies on the issue. This guy is going to be a serious problem for her, as there's plenty of evidence that she DID email and call him, and that she's lying about it. What are you guys going to do then, try and brazen it out?

LOLZ

Cycloptichorn
ehBeth

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:14 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
#'s 4 and 7 make her seem like a born-again wet dream, and then there are #6, 10 and 11 which must have cjhsa panting out loud

http://www.grizzlybay.org/SarahPalinInfoPage.htm
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:18 pm
This is all you need to know.... this bitch should be locked up

http://www.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUSN2145097820080522
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:21 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I know a complete whack job, Ted Stevens, is responsible for the thing. I know that she ended it. Link proof of your claims that "she kept the money" and I'll be glad to address it. Taking in a lot about her... and yeah. Clinton dropped the ethical bar on the floor and it rolled under the men's stall. Nothing shocks me about politicians anymore. They are all crooks....we just have to decide what degree of corruption we're willing to live with. Like Obama's shady relationships.. Again...bring links of your proof if you want me to address it.
sozobe

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:25 pm
@Lash,
Here's more from TPM:

Quote:
Right On Time

At TPMMuckraker we've been on the Palin/Trooper-gate story for a while. And we've just reported that the investigation by the state legislature is scheduled to report its findings in the first couple days of November.

This is a perilous story for Palin and McCain. I flagged some of the details earlier in the day. But this is the kind of story, the kind of investigation, where it is highly unlikely that Palin hasn't made public false statements about her involvement in what happened. I think that's generous. As always in cases like this, the question is whether anyone can prove it. There are a couple investigations -- one under the auspices of the state legislature and another of the state Attorney General, which she either supported or 'requested'. That latter investigation already surfaced taped phone calls that forced Palin walk back her original denials and admit that her aides had pressed for the firings, just without her knowledge.

Using the power of the government to settle scores with estranged relatives or associates is far from unprecedented. There are probably several similar investigations going on in other states as we speak. But I doubt very much that they were prepared for the heat of full bore national media scrutiny on this one. And in this case you [have] not only the underlying act, which is sleazy, but the high probability that Palin is lying about her role.

Late Update: And special bonus: after the firing that got her administration into trouble, Palin replaced him with another guy who'd recently been hit with a credible sexual harassment accusation. Palin later admitted that she knew about the complaint in advance but denied that she knew of the letter of reprimand he'd received.

He lasted two weeks on the job.

(Sullivan continues to froth entertainingly -- and informatively too, lots of links -- but I'll stop with the endless quoting. Check here if you're interested):

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/
Lash

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:30 pm
@sozobe,
Or, put another way:
August 29, 2008, 1:14 pm
Palin Ethics Investigation
By Michael Luo
DENVER" A state ethics probe that was launched just a few weeks ago is already drawing attention in the opening moments of her debut as the Republican vice presidential pick is Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

An independent investigator appointed by a panel of state legislators earlier this month is looking into whether Mrs. Palin dismissed a top law enforcement official in her administration because he failed to fire a state trooper, Mike Wooten, who went through a messy divorce with Mrs. Palin’s sister.

The investigation follows on the heels of Mrs. Palin’s abrupt decision in mid-July to dismiss Walt Monegan, her Public Safety Commissioner. Mrs. Palin said she wanted to take the department in a different direction, but questions emerged after Mr. Monegan said he felt pressured to fire Mr. Wooten.

Mr. Monegan said members of Mrs. Palin’s administration, as well Mrs. Palin’s husband, Todd, and the governor herself talked to him about Mr. Wooten.

Mr. Monegan told the Anchorage Daily News that Mr. Palin showed him some of the findings of a private investigator the family had hired and accused him of variety of misdeeds, including drunk driving and child abuse.

Mr. Palin told the newspaper he feared for his wife’s safety and said that Mr. Wooten had made threats against her and her family.

As part of efforts to demonstrate she welcomed the inquiry, Mrs. Palin asked the state’s attorney general to look into the allegations as well.

Earlier this month, she released an audio recording of a top aide pressing a police lieutenant about why no action had been taken against Mr. Wooten, given the allegations against him. She also disclosed there had been more two dozen inquiries from members of her staff to the public safety department about him, but she said she only knew about some of the inquiries and had played no role in them.

Excerpts of the audio recording Mrs. Palin released showed Frank Bailey, the state’s director of boards and commissions, pushing Lt. Rodney Dial in February about Mr. Wooten.

“Todd and Sarah are scratching their heads, ‘Why on earth hasn’t this, why is this guy still representing the department?’ He’s a horrible recruiting tool, you know,” Mr. Bailey told the lieutenant.

If a private investigation led to discovery of abuse and drunk driving by a law enforcement official, would you look the other way?

Two sides to the story.
sozobe

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:32 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Two sides to the story.

Or three... or twenty-seven...

Who knows whether those allegations she made were true?

I'm not saying I know the truth... I so don't at this point. Seems like there is a potential for real problems though.
0 Replies

squinney

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:44 pm
The thing is... McCain had to go all the way to Alaska for a 44 year old woman that has only been Governor for a year and a half to find a Republican VP that would vet at all. Very Happy
0 Replies

old europe

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:49 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Link proof of your claims that "she kept the money" and I'll be glad to address it.

Alaska abandons controversial Ketchikan bridge project

Quote:
"We will continue to look for options for Ketchikan to allow better access to the island," Gov. Sarah Palin said. "The concentration is not going to be on a $400 million bridge."

Palin has directed the state Department of Transportation to find the most "fiscally responsible" alternative for access to the airport.

[...]

Republicans U.S. Sen. Ted Stevens and U.S. Rep. Don Young championed the project through Congress two years ago, securing more than $200 million in funds for the bridge between Ketchikan, on Revillagigedo Island, and Gravina Island.

Under mounting political pressure over pork projects, Congress stripped the earmark " or stipulation " that the money be used for the airport.

Ultimately, Congress still sent the money to the state, but for any use it deemed appropriate.

The state eventually took much of that money for other projects around the state.

A spokeswoman from Young's office said he would have no comment. Stevens spokesman Aaron Saunders said the Senator is interested in how the state ultimately uses the money that went to the state.

[...]

DOT commissioner Leo von Scheben told Ketchikan officials last month that he was concerned about getting bridge funding, which could range from $225 million to nearly $400 million.

In a statement Friday, he said the excess bridge money could be used to build roads in Alaska.

"There is no question we desperately need to construct new roads in this state, including in southeast Alaska, where skyrocketing costs for the Alaska Marine Highway System present an impediment to the state's budget and the region's economy," von Scheben said.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:53 pm
September 22, 2007
CNN

'Bridge to nowhere' abandoned

Quote:
On Friday, Alaska decided the bridge really was going nowhere, officially abandoning the project in Ketchikan that became a national symbol of federal pork-barrel spending.

While the move closes a chapter that has brought the state reams of ridicule, it also leaves open wounds in a community that fought for decades to get federal help.

"We went through political hot water -- tons of it -- and not just nationally but internationally," Ketchikan-Gateway Borough Mayor Joe Williams said. "We have nothing to show for it."

The $398 million bridge would have connected Ketchikan, on one island in southeastern Alaska, to its airport on another nearby island.

Gov. Sarah Palin said Friday the project was $329 million short of full funding.

"We will continue to look for options for Ketchikan to allow better access to the island," the Republican governor said. "The concentration is not going to be on a $400 million bridge."

Palin directed state transportation officials to find the most "fiscally responsible" alternative for access to the airport. She said the best option would be to upgrade the ferry system.

U.S. Sen. Ted Stevens and Rep. Don Young, both Republicans, championed the project through Congress two years ago, securing more than $200 million for the bridge between Revillagigedo and Gravina islands.

Under mounting political pressure over pork projects, Congress stripped the earmark -- or stipulation -- that the money be used for the airport, but still sent the money to the state for any use it deemed appropriate.

Stevens spokesman Aaron Saunders said Friday the senator was interested in how the state ultimately used the money. A spokeswoman for Young said the congressman would have no comment.

Just last month, presidential candidate Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, said pet projects could have played a role in a Minnesota bridge collapse that killed 13 people earlier this year.

"Maybe if we had done it right, maybe some of that money would have gone to inspect those bridges and other bridges around the country," McCain told a group of people in a town-hall style meeting in Ankeny, Iowa.

"Maybe the 200,000 people who cross that bridge every day would have been safer than spending $233 million of your tax dollars on a bridge in Alaska to an island with 50 people on it."

On Friday, Leo von Scheben, commissioner of the state Department of Transportation, said the bridge money could be used to build roads in Alaska.

"There is no question we desperately need to construct new roads in this state, including in southeast Alaska, where skyrocketing costs for the Alaska Marine Highway System present an impediment to the state's budget and the region's economy," von Scheben said in a statement.

The governor urged Alaskans not to dwell on the bridge.

"Much of the public's attitude toward Alaska bridges is based on inaccurate portrayals of the projects here," Palin said. "But we need to focus on what we can do, rather than fight over what has happened."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/22/alaska.bridge.ap/

Palin lied in her acceptance speech. She didn't tell Congress, thanks but no thanks. She took 233 million dollars from the federal government--which she didn't give back--and she only scrapped the project because she couldn't get the rest of the money needed for the Bridge from Congress. McCain even criticized claiming the money she took could have been used to prevent the Minnesota bridge collapse. How fitting that the two of them will be on the same platform in Minnesota next week. I hope it doesn't collapse.

Lash

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:09 pm
@Debra Law,
Yeah. My response. This is nothing. They told her to keep the money and do with it what she thought she needed. She did.

....and?

I'm laughing. You guys are completely freaked out that he chose someone interesting--a woman. You're buggin. A bridge...pork someone ELSE ordered up....told to keep the money....It's NOTHING! Laughing Razz