hawkeye10

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:15 pm
@Lash,
it is entirely possible that being a woman has little or nothing to do with it, that the conservatives told McCain to pick her and that he complied.

Quote:
Therefore, we are officially endorsing the movement to draft Governor Sarah Palin of Alaska for Vice-President of the United States.

With the dynamics of the current state in the campaign, it would seem extremely logical to pick Governor Sarah Palin. She is the first female Governor of Alaska and the youngest. She is one of two true conservatives that we have lauded on this site, and now feel is better suited to be VP for John McCain. Sarah Palin is what the conservative base is looking for. In a article today on Real Clear Politics, Jack Kelly summed it up pretty nice,

"Ms. Palin touches other conservative bases, some of which Sen. McCain has been accused of rounding. Track, her eldest son, enlisted in the Army last Sept. 11. She's a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association who hunts, fishes and runs marathons. A regular churchgoer, she's staunchly pro-life."

"Kimberley Strassel of the Wall Street Journal said Sen. McCain should run against a corrupt, do-nothing Congress, a la Harry Truman. If he should choose to do so, Gov. Palin would make an excellent partner."

What she has done in Alaska is ground breaking. It just shows how conservative leadership is the best way to govern in our republic.
http://www.huliq.com/61142/mccain-called-pick-sarah-palin-vp
0 Replies

Green Witch

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:19 pm
I admit I'm butting in here, but I just heard her speech on the radio and I couldn't help but think she sounds like beauty pageant contestant. Did anyone tell her she is running for VP and not Miss America? Conservatives sure like their candidates to be inexperienced.

edgarblythe

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:24 pm
@Green Witch,
I feel a sense of outrage, in that she could actually become president.
hawkeye10

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:27 pm
@Green Witch,
Umm, conservatives value professed ideology over competence in one's job

See Shrub
See Brownie
see most of the bozzo's we sent to reconstruct Iraq before we put the Army with Petraeus in charge
see.......
Green Witch

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
And from the way McCain is looking nowadays that is a very real possibility.
old europe

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:30 pm
@Lash,
It's no big deal in and of itself. But giving her props for stopping the "bridge to nowhere" without mentioning that Alaska kept $233 million dollars and simply spent the money elsewhere isn't portraying the full picture either...
Green Witch

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
Conservatives specialize in being incompetent. It's a self fulfilling prophecy, they want to prove their theory that government doesn't work and they do their best to make it so. It's how they have operated for at least 30 years.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:32 pm
@Green Witch,
It is frightening to think that she could be one weak, irregular heartbeat away from the presidency.
Rockhead

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:35 pm
@LionTamerX,
Thanks fer comin' in and speakin' the truth, LTX.

What does Ego do to a man...

(she's a bit scary)
0 Replies

squinney

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:39 pm
From the articles posted on the previous page it sounds like the infrastructure of Alaska is in serious need. She couldn't pull together the other <$200 million for co-responsibility on the bridge but she just got the legislature to send $1200 to everyone to help them with heating costs?

First, isn't that a government handout? And, couldn't that money have been used to build the roads that are in such disrepair?
old europe

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:51 pm
@squinney,
Yes.... according to this article, each qualified Alaska resident gets a $1,200 "resource rebate". It's a $60 million programme in total.

Then, Palin signed legislation that suspends the state's motor fuel tax for a year, which eliminates an 8-cent tax on highway gas, 5-cent tax on marine fuel and taxes on aviation fuel.

There are additional $23 million spent on expanding an existing Power Cost Equalization programme to help rural residents with electric power costs.

And there's a a Permanent Fund dividend, which is expected to be close to $2,100. In total, Alaska residents could get a check of $3,300.

All of that is paid for by "the state's multibillion-dollar oil revenue surplus".
0 Replies

georgeob1

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:51 pm
The stridency and monotone criticisms of the usual Democrat suspects here is a bit bemusing. Nothing seems to complicate their need to see this, and anything related to the campaign, as an unvarnished benefit to Obama and setback for McCain; nothing about Gov. Palin is seen as either good or beneficial for the country or the McCain strategy; nothing is complicated; everything is simple - Obama, Biden and the evolving Democrat platform are the embodiment of all that is good, well-intended and wisely conceived; while everything on the other side is bad, improperly motivated, ill-conceived and flawed by past association.

The speed with which the attack points emerge and character assasination begins suggests organized and self-reinforcing activities by many people all armed with this mind set. It is a slightly disquieting thing to me.

It all seems very strange to me in that most things in life - at least in my experience of it - involve a mixture of things, good and bad. The characters, beliefs and proposals of even political figures I have opposed are almost never without their attractive elements. Indeed, the choices we all must make seem to me always to involve tradeoffs in which one ends up foregoing something he admires in one choice for something perhaps more important in another.

This stridency has, more than anything else, diminished my interest in A2K. Too bad.

hawkeye10

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 08:08 pm
@georgeob1,
because pointing out that a person does not have a resume that gives any indication that they are qualified for the position that they seek is character assassination...right??

tell me George, how does it normally work out when the people put neophytes into office? Is this this pick not a legit cause for concern, even before any evaluation of this woman's character?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 08:10 pm
@georgeob1,
OB1, I am non partisan, surely you overlooked me...

(I'll not beg you to stay, BTW)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 08:16 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I'm laughing. You guys are completely freaked out that he chose someone interesting--a woman. You're buggin. A bridge...pork someone ELSE ordered up....told to keep the money....It's NOTHING! Laughing Razz

I don't see any bugging out. I see people floored at what an awful choice this woman is for VP.

What makes this woman qualified to be VP, in your opinion, other than the fact that she chose to become pregnant over 40?
Robert Gentel

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 08:23 pm
@DrewDad,
"You could argue that no one's ever ready to be president." Bill Clinton

There's nothing out there other than having been the president that will prepare someone for the job, so what's the point?
maporsche

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 08:31 pm
@Robert Gentel,
lol
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 09:02 pm
@Lash,
The point is that she bragged about saving the money. She didn't save ****. She spent the money on other stuff.

C'mon, Lash Laughing

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 09:06 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/8/29/21034/4861/159/579549

It appears her son Trig may have scrubbed her wikipedia entry this morning.

Cycloptichorn
joefromchicago

Fri 29 Aug, 2008 09:17 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

It's no big deal in and of itself. But giving her props for stopping the "bridge to nowhere" without mentioning that Alaska kept $233 million dollars and simply spent the money elsewhere isn't portraying the full picture either...

It's evident that some folks here misunderstand the nature of earmarks. An earmark isn't extra money that is added to a spending bill. Instead, it's money that has already been allocated -- the earmark just directs the money to a specific project. So if Alaska was allocated a certain amount of money for road and infrastructure improvements, and $233M of that was earmarked for the Ketchikan bridge, then that $233M came out of Alaska's total allocation. If the bridge project is subsequently cancelled, Alaska would still get the $233M -- it just doesn't have to spend it on that bridge any more.

Palin kept the bridge money because that money would have gone to Alaska anyway. I don't see anything wrong with that.