Help me restore my marriage? Bisexual here

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 02:35 pm
OK, so your first six months were in India? Three months from when you met to being married, then three months there, married?

Then you came here three months ago, and now she's on her way here -- leaving everything she knows.

Oh man, the stakes are much higher than I initially thought, all around.

How traditional are her and your families?

When is she supposed to get here?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 02:37 pm
Did you go to India for just this reason... to find someone to marry and marry her? (At your parents' insistence...?)
0 Replies

Nick29

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 02:43 pm
I search for someone to marry for about one year along with my parents. And then I expected to marry someone else and went to India. But that didnt workout for soem reason and then this happened to me. It was a collective descision and not just mine or my parents. They actually asked me If I like her and want to marry her. And I said yes. Her family is quite traditional. For that matter even my family. She would be staying with me. She is well educated and is a thorough professional at work. She is actually a workholic. Everyone at her work place likes her for her humbleness and likable nature.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 02:50 pm
Oof.

I have kinda lost the stomach for advising with all of this.

Things could be really serious for her if she gets divorced and goes back to India, right? (Even with the "quite traditional" part, still not sure, depends on where your families are from etc.)

When is she set to move here?

Does she want to come to America, as an attraction itself, aside from you?

Does she have a job here lined up already?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 02:50 pm
Oh, Y*I*K*E*S!!!!!!!

So I can see this now. He's the only son, expected to settle down, get married and have grandchildren, right? Of course he went along, he wants to be a "good son." And she seemed nice enough, he thought he could play along and be happy enough. Nobody ever needed to know about his bisexuality. His parents wouldn't be upset, his wife wouldn't be disappointed... Am I about on target here, Nick?

The problem is...the truth always comes out eventually. ALWAYS.

Poor girl!!! This is completely unfair to her! She's going to wind up halfway around the world, without family and friends, married to someone she doesn't really know at all. This is just awful!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 02:58 pm
It really is. :-?

Nick, I will say for the record that I'm not amused that you didn't provide at least some of these details earlier -- they are quite pertinent -- and I see it as being part and parcel of the intellectual dishonesty and immaturity that so disturbs me in your posts here.

(Oof.)
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 02:58 pm
Maybe you can just tell her, "You're in America now. Everyone in America does this." Find a nice bisexual stripper to hang out with her and teach her the ropes.

She should be really screwed up by the time you are done with her. But not to worry you will be in complete control and able to do whatever you want.

Isn't that what love is all about? Narcissistic self gratification?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 03:15 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Now, I cannot predict the future - neither can you nimh - but if Nick is willing to give his best to make his wife happy, who are we to doubt him? If it doesn't work out down the road, so be it. At least he's tried. I've known perfect happy couples who didn't make it to their second anniversary - you just never know.
100% agree, life is funny, bees make honey.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 03:17 pm
Well, on the bright side, if it's an arranged marriage at least she'll probably not necessarily expect him to be head over heels in love with her either, the way an American newlywed would. She'll probably be a bit more business-like about it herself too (being a work-aholic and all), so finding out that he's in fact quite hesitant in his feelings is then perhaps not going to come as quite as rude a shock.

Vice versa though, it probably also means that if there's one thing she'll expect him to be, it's reliable... and faithful...
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 03:22 pm
parados wrote:
Isn't that what love is all about? Narcissistic self gratification?
I know it was a rhetorical/critical question (and I am not condoning or condemning narcissistic self gratification) but I'll take it as at least partially literal, and challenge you to show me any consequential action pertaining to love, that does not have a self-serving undercurrent.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 03:29 pm
Yeah.

I was re-reading this with the new information in mind and came across this:

nick29 wrote:
And Me being used to casual one night stands I slipped into this lifestyle not being able to control my self.

While I hope for the best and would love to be proven wrong, I'm frankly skeptical that he'd be able to control this forever after.

But what on earth to be DONE about it? Unless she really wants to come to America and this is her ticket, I'd say it's best to try to end things before she's wrenched from everything she knows. But he could finally see the light and become a decent husband. Stranger things have happened.

The cultural aspects involved really make me nervous. It's a whole different ballgame than when I thought they were both American/ British/ Australian.

OK, here's what I'll say for now, pending further info... That if for a variety of reasons splitting up is absolutely not a possibility -- I dunno if that's true or not, but if -- I'd suggest that what you do is not embark on a mission to teach, but a mission to learn. Listen to her, don't just appreciate what a good listener she is; ask for her advice on which movie to go to, don't tell her which ones she should like. For that matter, ask her what feels good, don't tell her what feels good -- once she is reliably having fun, she'll be much more inclined to make sure you are having fun, too.

(Oof.)
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 03:36 pm
nimh wrote:
You know the French thing is more romantic stereotype than reality right, Chumly?
In the absolute literal sense in today's France OK, but as a concept to demo a possible dynamic between Nick29 & wife, there is merit.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 03:38 pm
Why?

If there is no literal (read: fact-based) merit, why is there ANY merit?

That's like, well no there isn't such a thing as winged horses, but IF there were, she could take rides on them and that would cheer her right up!!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 03:50 pm
I do not mean "merit" as in good. I mean "merit "as in this dynamic may (or will) exist between them. I have not, (and probably will not) make a value judgment on Nick29.

The type of dynamic I refer to is not as uncommon as some might think.

Given all the latest info about the arranged marriage etc. it appears that this dynamic is less likely (at least for the moment) although the work-aholic part is perhaps suspect, as many people do that to bury themselves. Way too little info to know Nick29's wife.

I mention it as a potential solution or potential condition (although solution may be a contestable word choice).
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 03:53 pm
sozobe wrote:
Yeah.

I was re-reading this with the new information in mind and came across this:

nick29 wrote:
And Me being used to casual one night stands I slipped into this lifestyle not being able to control my self.

While I hope for the best and would love to be proven wrong, I'm frankly skeptical that he'd be able to control this forever after.

But what on earth to be DONE about it? Unless she really wants to come to America and this is her ticket, I'd say it's best to try to end things before she's wrenched from everything she knows. But he could finally see the light and become a decent husband. Stranger things have happened.

The cultural aspects involved really make me nervous. It's a whole different ballgame than when I thought they were both American/ British/ Australian.

OK, here's what I'll say for now, pending further info... That if for a variety of reasons splitting up is absolutely not a possibility -- I dunno if that's true or not, but if -- I'd suggest that what you do is not embark on a mission to teach, but a mission to learn. Listen to her, don't just appreciate what a good listener she is; ask for her advice on which movie to go to, don't tell her which ones she should like. For that matter, ask her what feels good, don't tell her what feels good -- once she is reliably having fun, she'll be much more inclined to make sure you are having fun, too.

(Oof.)

Nick has not shown that he has the maturity to handle this situation correctly. Not at all. Because he is afraid of displeasing his parents (a child's perspective), he has hidden his sexual orientation to his family, even to the extent of helping them find him a wife. Because he could not control his own behavior (a teenage perspective), he has been unfaithful to his wife when she wasn't around. And then, because he is afraid of disappointing her (another immature perspective), he has hidden his behavior from his wife, the one person to whom he most owes honesty and from whom he expects the most trust.

I'm sorry, but this is the truth.

Nick is building a future on a foundation of lies. It will not hold.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 03:54 pm
The cultural factors in this situation are huge.
I know who I wish would come post to this.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 03:56 pm
Me too, ehBeth.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 03:56 pm
You wanna "pm" him, or shall I?
0 Replies

Nick29

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 04:02 pm
why do you guys think our marriage is not going last anymore? Well mistakes happened and I regret to hell for that. Dont tell me I dont ahve a chance here.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 04:05 pm
That's all what I have been saying, Eva. (I think you know that, but the context of quoting my post and seeming to respond to it makes me unsure.)

From what little I know about India -- and so I am awaiting further info, as I am not confident in what I know and things seem to vary according to social strata and geographical location -- it is possible that Nick's wife's life could be literally ruined if he goes to India now, tells her the truth, and they get a divorce. As in, she may have no prospects for a future marriage or be married off to someone horrible because she is considered damaged goods. Shunned socially, shamed, not just her but her family too. Really serious consequences.

IF that is the case -- and I don't know yet -- then it seems like the more responsible position overall is for Nick29 to realize the stakes and try his damndest to make things work from this point forward. Best-case scenario there would be that they actually work it out. Medium-case scenario is that they don't, but she really wanted to come to America, he is not too awful to her while they try, and she is able to make a life here and strike out on her own, self-sufficient, and in the American context of divorce not being a big deal.

Worst-case scenario there, of course, is that it doesn't work out, she doesn't like America, and the whole thing is completely devastating for her.

But the main thing I am getting at is that the cultural issues are potentially serious enough that I am nervous about giving advice, at all.
0 Replies