Entertainment, political correctness and cancel culture

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 28 May, 2021 06:00 am
@izzythepush,
I can name a few.

Cree Summer, an African American actress, voiced the little White girl Penny in the Inspector Gadget cartoons.

More recently Charlie Murphy voiced Ed Wuncler III and Sam Jackson voiced Gin Rummy in The Boondocks.

Go here:

https://www.quora.com/Are-there-any-black-voice-actors-that-play-white-characters
izzythepush

Reply Fri 28 May, 2021 06:03 am
@JGoldman10,
That’s three, and looks more like an exception that proves the rule compared to the host of white actors voicing black characters.

I’ve never heard of the boondocks, I think it’s an American term for the sticks, but that’s as far as it goes.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 28 May, 2021 06:08 am
@izzythepush,
Go to the Quora link. There are links to videos that showcase African American voice actors and their acting credits on the webpage at that link.

A number of characters these people have voiced were White human characters.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 29 May, 2021 06:16 am
@JGoldman10,
So it was still a random nameless couple, who apparently have no impact for the remainder of the episode.

Plus, pecks on the cheeks are not really romantic, as plenty of cultures (seen in Europe and South America) use it as a form of greeting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheek_kissing

Like I said, it is still rare for these children's networks to show any blatant LGBT content in children's animated shows, and even more rarer for a main character to be confirmed LGBT. Legend of Korra and She-Ra waited until the final episode to confirm the sexualities of the main characters.

With "Korra", they showed only hand holding in the final minutes; the show creators explained in their online blog that the two women were indeed dating, but the network could not show anything romantic:
Quote:
..as we got close to finishing the finale, the thought struck me: How do I know we can’t openly depict that? No one ever explicitly said so. It was just another assumption based on a paradigm that marginalizes non-heterosexual people. If we want to see that paradigm evolve, we need to take a stand against it.
We approached the network and while they were supportive there was a limit to how far we could go with it.
---
Was it a slam-dunk victory for queer representation? I think it falls short of that, but hopefully it is a somewhat significant inching forward. It has been encouraging how well the media and the bulk of the fans have embraced it. Sadly and unsurprisingly, there are also plenty of people who have lashed out with homophobic vitriol and nonsense.

https://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/105916338157/korrasami-is-canon-you-can-celebrate-it-embrace
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2021 07:04 am
@JGoldman10,
A recent article was published about how, despite your claims otherwise, Disney is still very slow in having LGBT+ characters in any substantial roles in their shows and films.
https://gizmodo.com/disneys-first-openly-gay-characters-ranked-by-how-emb-1847025396

Quote:
Disney’s history with queer representation on-screen is, diplomatically, dicey at best. The company’s slow arc toward introducing LGBTQIA+ characters in major roles and tentpole films has laid the groundwork for eventual substance, but here and now, they’re mostly half steps—half steps that, more often than not, are more embarrassing than they are meaningfully progressive.

Disney is by no means the only company that comes off looking bad during Pride every June—there’s a reason “Rainbow Capitalism” has become a snarkily accurate read on major brands rainbow-coating their social media profiles and calling it a job well done for the month. But Disney looks particularly egregious celebrating because, well, all year ‘round it otherwise does the barest of minimums to incorporate LGBTQIA+ stories and characters in its biggest material, leaving them on the cutting room floor or slight enough to be edited out of movies to better appeal to bigoted markets that Disney would otherwise love to see some money out of.

The article lists 7 examples of LGBT+ characters from several recent major films that are only in the background or their roles are minimal.
*A random lesbian couple in "Toy Story 4", on screen for a few seconds.
*Artie in "Cruella", never explicitly identified as queer but it is implied.
*McGregor in "Jungle Cruise", the film is yet to be released, but he is clearly a minor character next to the two leads.
*Officer Spector in "Onward", a very brief mention of the character having a girlfriend and that is it.
*LeFou in "Beauty & The Beast", is seen dancing with another man for less than 1 second.
*A pilot and her wife in "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker", seen kissing in the far background of a large celebration scene.
*Unnamed survivor in "Avengers: Endgame", only talked about dating another man.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 05:58 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Hi Rebel and okay. What about Warner Bros. and other major studios?
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 08:01 pm
@JGoldman10,
In regards to showing LGBT+ people in lead roles, WB is slightly better but they are still hesitant in showing them in major blockbusters. Same with other studios, except for some of the smaller studios like A24 and Spotlight.

Looking though the list of highest grossing movies of all time, only Deadpool and its sequel (#98 and 99 on the list) features LGBT+ in major roles. In this case, the main character is confirmed to be pansexual by his creator, the film's director and the lead actor.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/top_lifetime_gross/?area=XWW

By the way, Happy Pride Month.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2021 10:41 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I'm NOT QUEER. Why are you wishing me a Happy Pride Month?
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2021 10:43 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

In regards to showing LGBT+ people in lead roles, WB is slightly better but they are still hesitant in showing them in major blockbusters.

Really? Storks was an animated film WB made that featured LGBTQIA characters in it and that was a major film.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 01:08 am
@JGoldman10,
I’m not American why do you wish non Americans happy American holidays?

You should be pleased that a marginalised sector of society is finally getting recognition. It’s what Jesus would have wanted.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 03:19 am
@JGoldman10,
Like the other examples I mentioned, the gay couple in Storks appeared on screen for 1-2 seconds.

The couple appeared in a very quick montage near the end about parents getting their child from the storks, and they are very easy to miss.

None of the main characters (protagonists, antagonists, and literally anyone with a line of dialogue) are LGBT+.

I'm going to correctly assume you never saw the film at all. You really have to stop making assumptions about films and shows you haven't actually seen.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 03:22 am
Damn political correctness, freeing the slaves and enacting civil rights reforms.
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 03:29 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I'm NOT QUEER. Why are you wishing me a Happy Pride Month?

Well you did previously say you were asexual and in the abbreviation you used, LGBTQIA is for Asexuality. Pride Month is for people of different sexualities, including asexuals such as yourself.

Many websites that educate different kinds of sexuality also talk about Asexuality.
https://www.glaad.org/amp/ace-guide-finding-your-community
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 08:51 pm
@Rebelofnj,
So being asexual is considered being gay?

I'm a Christian. I'm not gay. Maybe "asexual" is not the word I want. I am abstinent.

I hate ID politics, political correctness and stupid labels.

Don't try to label me or put me in some kind of box.

You have no box to put me in.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 12:15 am
@JGoldman10,
Asexuals are part of the LGBT community.

Stop using Christianity as an excuse for your own bigotry.

The Rev Richard Cole is a real Christian.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 04:07 am
@JGoldman10,
I said nothing about Asexuality being equivalent to homosexuality. I said it is a different sexuality.

Quote:
Sexual orientation is traditionally defined as including heterosexuality, bisexuality, and homosexuality, while asexuality is considered the fourth category of sexual orientation by some researchers and has been defined as the absence of a traditional sexual orientation. An asexual has little to no sexual attraction to people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_orientation

And to repeat, don't make assumptions about films you haven't seen yet. It is hard to take your opinion about films seriously when you don't watch any recent films and repeatedly miscategorize every film you mention to fit your argument.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 08:35 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I don't care what some SECULAR people say about sexuality. I did watch part of Storks.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 10:25 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I did watch part of Storks.

Apparently, you didn't watch any relevant scenes if you actually thought LGBT+ was a main part of the film when it wasn't the case at all.

At this point, it is far more likely for LGBT+ actors and creators to produce an animated film than it is for LGBT+ characters to appear prominently in an animated film.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 12:13 am
@JGoldman10,
It’s not just what some people say, it’s a general classification.

Now you’ve been classified you can embrace who you are.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 09:56 am
@izzythepush,
JG had apparently referred himself as asexual before without actually learning what the term means. Apparently, he thought it was another term for abstinence.

This is from 2 years ago, when he had the same discussion as right now.
https://able2know.org/topic/526601-4#post-6876139

He even says "I am anti-LGBTQI. Deal with it", taking out to "A" so not to discriminate against himself and his sexual identity.