Entertainment, political correctness and cancel culture

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 08:22 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I meant I am anti-LGBTQIA. If I had typed "anti-LGBTQIA" as you claim then that was a typo. SCREW political correctness, ID politics and stupid labels.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 08:46 pm
@izzythepush,
I don't like people who play race cards and I don't care what part of the world they're from.

What pray tell does slavery have to do with political correctness?
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 10:10 pm
@JGoldman10,
So, are you going to address why you were wrong about Storks?
It seems you ignored what I said about the film, instead focusing on yet another tangent about sexualities.

To repeat:
Quote:
Apparently, you didn't watch any relevant scenes if you actually thought LGBT+ was a main part of Storks when it wasn't the case at all.

At this point, it is far more likely for LGBT+ actors and creators to produce an animated film than it is for LGBT+ characters to appear prominently in an animated film.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 10:39 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I'm not going to get worked up over a cartoon movie. I have more important things to do.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 01:36 am
@JGoldman10,
Instead of getting worked up you could just admit to being wrong, tell the truth and shame the Devil.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 01:38 am
@JGoldman10,
Don’t be such a hypocrite.

You play the race card all the time.

You’re only black when it suits you.

And now you’re confirming your xenophobia by attacking my nationality.

You are not a Christian.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 02:05 am
@izzythepush,
I did not attack your nationality, I don't give a crap what my race and/or ethnicity is - I am an American. You sir were baiting me with that slavery-related comment. You didn't answer my question:

What does slavery have to do with political correctness?

I am not nor have I ever been a slave.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 02:21 am
@JGoldman10,
Yes you did.

You attack political correctness yet it was that which freed the slaves and gave civil right reforms.

You want your rights to be upheld but you still want to discriminate against, insult and kill those groups you don’t like.

Thousands of LGBT people die each year because of people like you, they either they take their own lives or they’re murdered by people like you.

You are spreading hate. You are not a Christian. You are the type who screamed for his crucifixion at the public trial.

And it’s because you’re desperately sad and lonely, a prisoner of your own inertia.

You’re one of the seven deadly sins made flesh, sloth.

I’m not saying the others don’t have a role to play, but sloth is the reason you constantly lash out at people who are better and more successful than you.

Stop listening to hate merchants.
Linkat

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 05:33 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I meant I am anti-LGBTQIA. If I had typed "anti-LGBTQIA" as you claim then that was a typo. SCREW political correctness, ID politics and stupid labels.

The one thing I can agree with you here is I also dislike stupid labels.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 06:01 am
On NPR recently, they were saying that the 'A' can also stand for aromantic. It made me chuckle a git that you can be aromantic without being asexual.

A stereotypical frat-boy pick-up artist who has sex with a different woman every night fits into the LGBTIA spectrum.

I think the labels get a little silly. I stop with the 'T' iin LGBT.
Linkat

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 06:10 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

On NPR recently, they were saying that the 'A' can also stand for aromantic. It made me chuckle a git that you can be aromantic without being asexual.

A stereotypical frat-boy pick-up artist who has sex with a different woman every night fits into the LGBTIA spectrum.

I think the labels get a little silly. I stop with the 'T' iin LGBT.

Exactly - there is a label for everything! No reason - in general I don't even like labeling people for even something like LGBT - who cares other than if you are in an intimate relationship with them their sexuality is personal.
neptuneblue

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 06:14 am
@Linkat,
You'd care if one of those letters meant you were discriminated against on a daily and legal basis.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 06:22 am
@Linkat,
I agree with Neptune (Well... I agree with Neptune whenever she is correct but that is beside the point Wink ).

The term LGBT has been very useful in a political context to refer to people who have traditionally been marginalized. The phrase "LGBT rights" is meaningful and the movement behind them has been remarkably successful.

0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 06:35 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I'm not going to get worked up over a cartoon movie. I have more important things to do.

Isn't that what you say whenever a discussion turns out badly? You say you have other matters to attend to and disappear for a few days.

You always repeat the same exact talking points, most of the time word for word. It would be nice if you actually admitted you were wrong about the film after making posts about it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 06:36 am
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

You'd care if one of those letters meant you were discriminated against on a daily and legal basis.

I can see it on that respect but if they were not labeled in the first place then they would not be discriminated against..that is part of what I am getting at. If everyone just viewed others without stupid labels it would not matter.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 06:43 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
if they were not labeled in the first place then they would not be discriminated against

Except that people have discriminated towards other groups of people for centuries, mainly because their religious text tells them to.
How does one not get labeled as gay with they are in a same sex relationship?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 06:55 am
@neptuneblue,
Exactly. Naming something is the first part of calling attention to the injustice. France prohibits the collection of racial information so they have no idea where there is discrimination or if they are making progress. It's easy to claim you have a color blind society when you refuse to look. Likewise naming the LGBTQ community allows us to see what for many of us is a blind spot, something we rarely interact with.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 08:08 am
@engineer,
Can someone explain to me what the "Q" means that isn't covered by the "L" "G" and "T"?
maxdancona

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 08:34 am
@maxdancona,
The did the same thing with STEM. This was an acronym that used to mean "Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics". This was a small group of closely related subjects.

Then they changed it to STEAM (adding arts). This included music and dance to engineering and mathematics. Then they changed it to STREAM (adding "reading and writing and literature").

Now the word the word is meaningless. It ecompasses everything. If I say my daughter is entering a STEM field, you know what that entails. If I say STREAM, that could be integral calculus, or it could be Underwater Interpretative Dance with Paper Mache.

LGBT is a meaningful term. The other letters are just silly.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 08:38 am
@maxdancona,
Q stands for Queer or Questioning (still exploring one's sexuality)
Quote:
Once considered a demeaning slur for being gay, “queer” is being reclaimed by some as a self-affirming umbrella term, especially among those who consider other labels restrictive.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019/06/health/lgbtq-explainer/
0 Replies