Entertainment, political correctness and cancel culture

izzythepush

Reply Thu 27 May, 2021 01:14 am
@JGoldman10,
That’s why you’ve written so much about them, because you don’t care.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 27 May, 2021 05:46 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I don't really care about a new RR movie and I'm not really interested in the new Space Jam movie.

Then have you asked questions related to Roger Rabbit for years?

At this point, it not even worth a bother to talk to you about current pop culture as you have actively ignored many changes in entertainment.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 28 May, 2021 12:47 am
@Rebelofnj,
Hi Rebel. I was obsessed that's why.

I have not actively ignored changes in entertainment. I know about some of the changes.

I know cartoon, comics and even video game makers want to cater to the LGBTQIA community by representing them in cartoons, comics and video games now, and advocate their agenda. That's NOT something I agree with.

I am aware that political correctness and cancel culture are BIG things now.

I know what COPPA is and what it's about but that's not something I need to be overtly concerned about if I am an original online content creator.

I am aware because off all the protesting BLM did last year drastic changes were made to how cartoons are produced now. White voice actors who voiced human characters of color were prompted to step down from roles they were given.

I have tried keeping up with the times to an extent.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 28 May, 2021 01:26 am
@JGoldman10,
It’s not about catering to communities it’s about treating them with respect.

You wouldn’t say In The Heat Of The Night was catering to the black community, it was giving an underrepresented section of society a voice.

You have problems living in a society that treats minorities with respect. You’re frustrated that you cannot impose your narrow set of values on the rest of us.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 28 May, 2021 01:28 am
@JGoldman10,
Are you upset that animated black characters are now voiced by black people?

It sounds like you are.

You don’t even watch The Simpsons.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 28 May, 2021 01:45 am
Look at the flip side of the coin. In Disney’s The Little Mermaid the villain Ursula is based on the drag star divine.

In Dressed to Kill Michael Caine plays a cross dresser who murders women.

In both films the message is that transgenderism and cross dressing is evil which is completely outrageous.

If black people were constantly portrayed as killers and thugs you would have a real problem.

What you refuse to take in to account is the LGBT children who grow up in a world where they are discriminated against.

This gives them a sense of self loathing and persecution, they are more likely to be murdered or take their own lives than their cis het peers.

And your attitude is contributing to that discrimination and persecution.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 28 May, 2021 03:20 am
@izzythepush,
Why would I be upset about that?

No one complained when African Americans voiced White human characters and other human characters who weren't Black.

The George Floyd protests got cartoon makers' attention:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2020-07-13/black-animation-racism-diversity-george-floyd-protests

BLM targeted entertainment, and they wanted cartoon makers to get rid of whitewashing in animation:

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/01/rick-and-morty-bojack-horseman-the-simpsons-producers-cartoon-whitewashing-1201921109/
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 28 May, 2021 03:21 am
@izzythepush,
The Little Mermaid is a movie about witchcraft. A movie I hate. I don't know why you brought that up.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 28 May, 2021 03:27 am
@JGoldman10,
To show that far from catering to theLGBT community Hollywood has vilified it.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 28 May, 2021 03:37 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Why would I be upset about that?

No one complained when African Americans voiced White human characters and other human characters who weren't Black.

I think there's somewhat of a double standard here.

To me it should not matter what a person's race or ethnicity is if they have a voice that fits a character.

However whitewashing has become a big issue because it has a history of being racist.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 28 May, 2021 03:46 am
@JGoldman10,
Can you cite examples of white characters being voiced by non white actors?
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 28 May, 2021 03:46 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I know cartoon, comics and even video game makers want to cater to the LGBTQIA community by representing them in cartoons, comics and video games now, and advocate their agenda. That's NOT something I agree with.

And this is where I can tell you haven't actually been paying attention to any modern show.

To you, not making homophobic jokes and treating everyone equally is "catering to the LGBT community". Cable networks are still reluctant to show any blatant LGBT content in children's animated shows, despite your claims.

For example, Adventure Time waited until the final minutes of the final episode (after over 280 episodes) to confirm the romantic relationship between Marceline and Princess Bubblegum. The episode that fully explored their relationship didn't even air on Cartoon Network; it only played on HBO MAX.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 28 May, 2021 04:28 am
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

Quote:

And this is where I can tell you haven't actually been paying attention to any modern show.

To you, not making homophobic jokes and treating everyone equally is "catering to the LGBT community".

I didn't say that. Having LGBTQIA characters in cartoons and in other forms of entertainment is catering to them.

Rebelofnj wrote:

Cable networks are still reluctant to show any blatant LGBT content in children's animated shows, despite your claims.

The Goofy Gophers from The Looney Tunes Show from 2011 were an openly gay couple.

Some of the characters in Steven Universe were openly gay.

They have same-sex couples in Clarence.

I found this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animated_series_with_LGBT_characters

I don't have to watch any current kids' cartoon shows to know there are LGBTQIA characters in them.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 28 May, 2021 04:32 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Hi Rebel. I was obsessed that's why.

I was bored, curious and obsessed. In a lot of questions I asked I used Roger Rabbit and related characters and properties as examples.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 28 May, 2021 04:37 am
@JGoldman10,
Having black characters who aren’t criminals or dimwits is catering to African Americans and marginalising whites.

If I was addressing anyone else I wouldn’t have to point out I am being ironic.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 28 May, 2021 04:40 am
@izzythepush,
What do you mean by "marginalizing Whites"?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 28 May, 2021 04:51 am
@JGoldman10,
LGBT people exist in society, that’s a fact.

Entertainment should reflect that, it’s not catering to any sector it’s about equality.

Don’t you get tired of hating broad sections of society because they’re not like you?

Once you’ve exterminated all LGBT people who’s next for your ovens, Catholics, Muslims, or anyone who isn’t prepared to lick Jimmy Swaggart’s arsehole?

You must really hate Jesus to attack everything he stood for so vehemently.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 28 May, 2021 04:54 am
@JGoldman10,
If you look at some of the far right posters on here they complain about their perceived white racism, that black people are getting all the good jobs and representation and white people are being discriminated against as a result.

It makes as much sense as your hatred towards LGBT people and your lies about them being catered to.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 28 May, 2021 05:12 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Having LGBTQIA characters in cartoons and in other forms of entertainment is catering to them.

By showing people they exist? They have been LGBT characters in entertainment for centuries, like the stories of Greek mythology and books from the 18th and 19th century such as Fanny Hill and The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Not to mention there have been LGBT writers and artists for centuries, like Leonardo Da Vinci and Emily Dickinson.

Quote:
The Goofy Gophers from The Looney Tunes Show from 2011 were an openly gay couple.

I cannot find a legitimate source (like the producers' Twitter account) that confirms this is true. All I got is a Wikipedia paragraph without any citations.

Quote:
Some of the characters in Steven Universe were openly gay.

Again, nothing blatant was shown on the show for the most of its run. The show waited until Season 3 to deal with Pearl's lost love arc, and nothing was really shown. And they waited until Season 5 for Sapphire and Ruby's wedding, which got immediately pushed to the side to deal with the series villains.

Quote:
They have same-sex couples in Clarence.

Only Jeff's moms, and they were never shown to express any romantic gestures to each other, unlike Clarence's mom and her boyfriend in the show.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 28 May, 2021 05:55 am
@Rebelofnj,
No there was a gay male couple in Clarence. They entered a restaurant and gave each other a peck on the cheek in one episode.