Crime Between Prersons of Different Races

gollum

Thu 14 May, 2020 04:57 am
I read recently of a murder of an African-American man (Ahmaud Arbery) by a white man. I hope that the murderer is brought to justice.

Are there more murders of black by white or white by black?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 8,964 • Replies: 262
Topic Closed

engineer

Thu 14 May, 2020 06:05 am
@gollum,
They are pretty much all over the news. Rather than give more examples, try this query for racially motivated murders in the last month.
gollum

Thu 14 May, 2020 06:51 am
@engineer,
engineer-

Thank you.

However, I believe each of those articles is about a particular murder.

I wish to learn in a given year (e.g., 2019) there were x-number of murders by a white man of a black man and y-number of murders by a black man of a white man.
engineer

Thu 14 May, 2020 06:54 am
@gollum,
Try here: https://www.justice.gov/hatecrimes/hate-crime-statistics
0 Replies

maxdancona

Thu 14 May, 2020 08:03 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

They are pretty much all over the news. Rather than give more examples, try this query for racially motivated murders in the last month.

Engineer is changing the question. The original question was about "crime". Engineer is making it about "hate crime".

That is a another interesting question. But it is also a dodge.
maxdancona

Thu 14 May, 2020 08:06 am
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

I read recently of a murder of an African-American man (Ahmaud Arbery) by a white man. I hope that the murderer is brought to justice.

I found this from thae BJS... that might help answer your question. https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/cv18_sum.pdf

Quote:
Based on the 2018 survey, the offender was of the same
race or ethnicity as the victim in 70% of violent incidents
involving black victims, 62% of those involving white
victims, 45% of those involving Hispanic victims, and
24% of those involving Asian victims.
0 Replies

gollum

Thu 14 May, 2020 08:16 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona-

Thank you.

I didn't write the original question well. Someone told me that most race-bias crimes are committed by whites again blacks.

I was surprised by the statement. I am an older white-male. My (possibly incorrect) impression has been that high-crime areas are usually majority black. Also, that black men tend to be more assertive and "in your face." Also that American society is focused on providing anti-discrimination laws, public assistance, etc.
maxdancona

Thu 14 May, 2020 08:54 am
@gollum,
It depends on what you mean by "race-bias" crimes. Engineer is trying to specify a specific type of crime that is motivated by race. Reading through the details of this case, they were implicitly trying to "hunt" a burglar. Race probably played a part on it, but it isn't a clear line.

In general, certain types of crimes (i.e. robbery, burglary) correlates to economic status. Someone who is poor and from an urban environment is far more likely to commit these types of crimes. This also correlates with race.

I believe that the fact that high crime areas are more likely to be "majority black" is a statistical fact. I also think it is pretty clear that this is due to economic factors rather than race.

I don't believe that your assertion that black men tend to be "more assertive" is objectively correct.
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 14 May, 2020 08:56 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

engineer wrote:

Engineer is changing the question. The original question was about "crime". Engineer is making it about "hate crime".

That is a another interesting question. But it is also a dodge.

More than likely because a raced-based crime is typically considered a hate crime so that make sense.
maxdancona

Thu 14 May, 2020 09:04 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
More than likely because a raced-based crime is typically considered a hate crime so that make sense.

Engineer is adding a political frame to the question. It doesn't make sense, he is obfuscating the question. The question had nothing to do with "hate crimes".

The question about whether this particular example qualifies as a "hate crime" is a complicated one. But that wasn't the question that was asked.
Linkat

Thu 14 May, 2020 09:14 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:

This was the question.

He later clarified this as raced based crimes.

The FBI defines hate crimes as:

Defining a Hate Crime
A hate crime is a traditional offense like murder, arson, or vandalism with an added element of bias. For the purposes of collecting statistics, the FBI has defined a hate crime as a “criminal offense against a person or property motivated in whole or in part by an offender’s bias against a race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, ethnicity, gender, or gender identity.” Hate itself is not a crime—and the FBI is mindful of protecting freedom of speech and other civil liberties.

So trying to figure out stats on murders based on race you could likely find on hate crime stats. To be honest I did not look at the link but if within the link it shows murders via white murder blacks and then blacks murder whites then it would answer the posters question.

if you are fearful this is biased you can check the FBI website:

hhttps://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-3.xls

the chart seems pretty easy to read.
maxdancona

Thu 14 May, 2020 09:56 am
@Linkat,
From the chart Linkat linked.

Black people killed white people more than twice as much as White people killed Black people (544 to 243). These were dwarfed by Black people killing Black people and White people killing white people (2,570 and 2854 respectively).

This is just data. This has nothing to do with hate crime stats.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Thu 14 May, 2020 10:04 am
Something else jumped out at me from Linkat's chart.

Women are 4 times more likely to murder men than they are to kill other women. Often people assume a woman who murders a man to be justified.
oralloy

Thu 14 May, 2020 10:30 am
gollum wrote:

It would be wrong to think of this as a deliberate killing. This guy was shot because he was attacking someone. It took two shotgun blasts to the chest to make him break off his attack.

The claims that the killing counts as first degree murder are due to a loophole in Georgia law that makes it aggravated assault (a felony) to brandish a weapon. Any death connected to a felony can be prosecuted as first degree murder in Georgia.

There are already moves to close this loophole:

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/georgia-panel-approves-bill-aiming-make-legal-brandish-gun/Oe2x0xPUTKP99PueauFWdI/

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/opinion-gun-bill-would-let-the-brandishing-begin-meaning-what/Xj3AnpcBuOtEdRH17BZXeP/

I'm unsure if closing the loophole will be retroactive for Travis and Gregory McMichael. But if we take aggravated assault out of the equation, this killing drops to involuntary manslaughter.
maxdancona

Thu 14 May, 2020 10:33 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
It would be wrong to think of this as a deliberate killing. This guy was shot because he was attacking someone. It took two shotgun blasts to the chest to make him break off his attack.

This is ridiculous....

1) How could possibly know this?
2) Against an unarmed opponent, one shotgun blast is sufficient.
3) If it turned out that the White guys attacked first, would that change your (rather typical) opinion?
Linkat

Thu 14 May, 2020 10:38 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Something else jumped out at me from Linkat's chart.

Women are 4 times more likely to murder men than they are to kill other women. Often people assume a woman who murders a man to be justified.

where did you get the assumption that people assume a woman who murders a man to be justified?
oralloy

Thu 14 May, 2020 10:46 am
@Linkat,
I don't know where he got it from, but it does sound like the sort of thing that feminists often spout.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 14 May, 2020 10:48 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
This is ridiculous....

It is reality.

maxdancona wrote:
1) How could possibly know this?

The fight was recorded on video. I watched the video. The jogger charges around the front of the truck and struggles with Travis McMichael to gain control over the shotgun.

maxdancona wrote:
2) Against an unarmed opponent, one shotgun blast is sufficient.

That is incorrect. The jogger only broke off his attack when he received a second shotgun blast to the chest.

maxdancona wrote:
3) If it turned out that the White guys attacked first, would that change your (rather typical) opinion?

Maybe. Maybe not. Much would depend on the details of what happened.
maxdancona

Thu 14 May, 2020 10:56 am
@oralloy,
Oralloy,

If in this encounter the Black guy had his own gun, and he shot the White guy three times and killed him... would you call that "involuntary manslaughter"?

Would you then be arguing that the Black guy was not guilty of murder?

Are you arguing that any time there is a scuffle, the person who shoots first wins and there is no claim of murder? Or does this have to do with race.

Setanta

Thu 14 May, 2020 01:48 pm
As is so often the case, Oralloy is lying. Arbery was not assualting anyone. This is from the Wikipedia article on this incident:

Quote:
On the afternoon of February 23, 2020, Ahmaud Marquez Arbery, an unarmed 25-year-old African-American man, was fatally shot after being pursued and confronted by Travis McMichael and his father Gregory McMichael, who were armed and driving a pickup truck. The incident took place in Satilla Shores, a community near Brunswick in Glynn County, Georgia, and was recorded in a 36-second video by William "Roddie" Bryan, a neighbor of the McMichaels, who was following Arbery in another vehicle.

The Glynn County Police Department (GCPD) said the Brunswick District Attorney's Office advised them on February 23 to make no arrests, while the Brunswick District Attorney's Office denied that the Brunswick District Attorney and her Assistant District Attorneys had communicated with the GCPD advising them to do so. On February 24, Waycross Judicial Circuit District Attorney George Barnhill, who had not yet been assigned to the case, advised the GCPD that no arrests should be made. Barnhill officially took over the case on February 27. Later on April 2, Barnhill again advised the GCPD to make no arrests, while stating his intention to recuse from the case due to connections between Gregory McMichael and Barnhill's son. Barnhill requested recusal on April 7. Atlantic Judicial Circuit District Attorney Tom Durden was appointed to the case on April 13.

A local attorney provided a copy of the video of the shooting to WGIG, a local radio station, who put it to the station's website on May 5. The video went viral, having also been posted on YouTube and Twitter. Within hours, Durden said a grand jury would decide whether charges would be brought, and accepted an offer from Governor Brian Kemp to have the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) investigate the case. On May 7, 2020, the GBI arrested the McMichaels and charged them with felony murder and aggravated assault.

The fact that the McMichaels were not arrested until 74 days later, after the video went viral, sparked debates on racial profiling in America. Numerous religious leaders, politicians, athletes, and other celebrities condemned the incident. The Glynn County Police Department and Brunswick District Attorney's Office were nationally criticized for their handling of the case and the delayed arrests; Georgia Attorney General Christopher M. Carr formally requested the intervention of the Federal Bureau of Investigation in the case on May 10, which was formally granted the following day.

This is just like that bizarre, hateful, racist crap Oralloy came up with in regard to Black Lives Matter, to the effect that BLM wanted to murder police officers. There are no words strong enough to express my disgust with and contempt for this member.