What's the deal with this "coronavirus" people are talking about?

izzythepush

Thu 2 Apr, 2020 05:09 pm
@JGoldman10,
Am I familiar with an iconic piece of British animation?

You don’t half ask some daft questions.

Have you heard of Apple pie?
JGoldman10

Thu 2 Apr, 2020 05:22 pm
@izzythepush,
I don't know if you ever heard of the movie and/or watched the movie or not. I don't make assumptions.

My dad had a copy of the film on VHS. I watched it with him.

I've seen some animated films The National Film Board of Canada showcased.

I've watched some of Nick Park's animated films.

They used to show a handful of foreign cartoons besides anime on American TV years ago. Danger Mouse, which was recently rebooted, and Blinky Bill, for example.
JGoldman10

Thu 2 Apr, 2020 08:37 pm
@Rebelofnj,
"Outbreak" refers to the pandemic spread of the virus.

"Scare" refers to the media's and the public's reaction to it- public curfews, restrictions imposed on certain commercial businesses and public facilities, shutdowns, event cancellations and/or postponements, etc.

What term should I use in place of "scare"?
JGoldman10

Thu 2 Apr, 2020 08:47 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Is it safe to go outside your home and do any exercises? Is it safe to do any jogging around your block?

I don't think local cops can say or do anything if your exercising in the privacy of your own back yard or on your front and/or back porch. However you don't want to disturb people if you're outside making noise. It's against the law to make any loud residential noises in NYS after 8 PM.

Is the virus airborne?
JGoldman10

Thu 2 Apr, 2020 08:50 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Is Kindle a free service?
Rebelofnj

Thu 2 Apr, 2020 09:01 pm
@JGoldman10,
The Kindle is the name of the tablet that Amazon made to read e-books.

Digital books can be bought through Amazon, while public domain books can be downloaded freely through other websites such as Wikisource and Project Gutenberg.

Amazon also released a free Kindle app on smartphones.

Rebelofnj

Thu 2 Apr, 2020 09:05 pm
@JGoldman10,
Crisis.

Why is this difficult to use a different word?
JGoldman10

Thu 2 Apr, 2020 09:17 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Fine - "Covid-19 crisis".
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 3 Apr, 2020 12:33 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Is the virus airborne?

Of course it is, that's the reason it's so contagious.

We knew this back in December when it first emerged.

I'm amazed at how you don't know this, it's common knowledge.

This is what happens when your only sources of information are self styled prophets and conspiracy nuts.
izzythepush

Fri 3 Apr, 2020 03:35 am
@JGoldman10,
I don’t know why you consider that film at all relevant. It’s about a nuclear holocaust and the end of all life.

Obviously the pandemic is nothing like that, but it doesn’t mean you can be blasé. You always have to resort to extremes, and life isn’t like that.

The Spanish flu pandemic killed more people than died in WW1, and The Black Death wiped out half the population of Europe doing away with feudalism in the process.

Just because it’s not Armageddon or the bloody rapture doesn’t mean it’s not deadly serious.

Btw, your use of foreign is pejorative.
JGoldman10

Fri 3 Apr, 2020 05:48 am
In lighter news, as of the time of the posting of this, I got three postcards in the mail that read, "Attention Voter: NYS Has Adopted Early Voting!" I'm eligible to vote before the actual elections in my area come up. There's a three elections - The presidential primary, the June primary and the presidential election. My polling place this year is at a local Boys and Girls Club branch which is up the street from where I live, instead of where it usually is.

The reason I am mentioning this here as opposed to another thread is that my local board of elections probably wants to expedite the voting process because of the situation with the virus.

0 Replies

Linkat

Fri 3 Apr, 2020 12:20 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

The Kindle is the name of the tablet that Amazon made to read e-books.

Digital books can be bought through Amazon, while public domain books can be downloaded freely through other websites such as Wikisource and Project Gutenberg.

Amazon also released a free Kindle app on smartphones.

And you can download ebooks remotely from your library - I think I paid for the first ebook when I first got my nook (it came with a gift card) and after that I have only downloaded books from the library - if you have amazon prime they also offer some free ebooks.
Sturgis

Fri 3 Apr, 2020 12:31 pm
@Linkat,
Even plain Kindle without the Prime membership has plenty of free books. Usually older, where the author rights have expired.
... Quite a few I've added to my easy to carry library since 2012.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Fri 3 Apr, 2020 12:38 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I'm amazed at how you don't know this, it's common knowledge.

As you may have read/heard, the Governor of the state of Georgia claimed yesterday that he just learned this.
(The U.S. educational system is clearly on a dangerous slope and without ski poles!)
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Fri 3 Apr, 2020 12:40 pm
@Linkat,
Yeah. I used the Overdrive app to get access to my library's collection.

However, I tend to read genre books like sci-fi and fantasy, and my local libraries mainly have popular and literary books available digitally. So I usually keep an eye out for genre books on sale or make an effort to go to the library to see the larger collection.
JGoldman10

Fri 3 Apr, 2020 12:45 pm
@izzythepush,
I brought that film up to say that things are not going to play out like the events in that film.

I know the situation in the world concerning Covid-19 is bad, but the way some people are carrying on about the virus they're acting like it's the end of the world.
JGoldman10

Fri 3 Apr, 2020 12:46 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Hello Rebel. What is Overdrive?
Rebelofnj

Fri 3 Apr, 2020 12:48 pm
@JGoldman10,
As I said, you can access your library's digital book collection through the app.

As it says on their website
Quote:
Borrow and read free ebooks, audiobooks, and magazines from your library using your phone or tablet. It’s easy to get started―all you need is a library card!
JGoldman10

Fri 3 Apr, 2020 12:49 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I don't think local cops can say or do anything if your exercising in the privacy of your own backyard or on your front and/or back porch.

-FIXED.
0 Replies

Linkat

Fri 3 Apr, 2020 01:20 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Yes that is exactly how I did it - I went onto my library's website and it directed me to download the app and now I get all my books for free - the only downside - it is for only 14 days so if you have a popular book you better read it within the 14 days - otherwise someone has put a hold on it and you have to get waitlisted until it is available again and you are left with waiting just at the best part of the book --- has happened to me before.

But I like to read all sorts of books so there is always something available to me.

Also my library is now set and connected with others so I can borrow from many libraries.
0 Replies