Kids in cages; how does anyone defend this

maporsche

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 12:43 pm
@layman,
Earlier today, when I made a mistake (or thought I did), I apologized to you (and I wasn't even calling you names or telling you you're illiterate) .

Let's see if you're able to do the same.
layman

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 12:44 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

April 2018 AND May 2018 ARE ON THAT GRAPH. April 2018 and May 2018 are THIS YEAR and are supposedly post-Trump's Zero Tolerance policy.

Maybe I'm not that one that needs to learn to read.

Naw, you still need to learn to read, Ma. "That graph" does not refer to arrests.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 12:50 pm
@maporsche,
Why are you arguing with Layman? He is not a serious person.

When you engage him with facts, it just gets sillier and sillier. Do you like Brie?
maporsche

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 12:52 pm
@maxdancona,
Fair point.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 12:53 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Earlier today, when I made a mistake (or thought I did), I apologized to you
Where was that? I didn't see any apology.

I'll admit that I didn't pay much attention to your graph. I didn't need to in order to know that the claim you were making about it was completely wrong.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 12:55 pm
@maporsche,
I'd like to know what caused that tremendous dropoff in apprehensions at the start of FY17 . Did the border agents all go on vacation together ... for seven months? very peculiar.
layman

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 12:58 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I'd like to know what caused that tremendous dropoff in apprehensions at the start of FY17 . Did the border agents all go on vacation together ... for seven months? very peculiar.

The immigrants quit comin when Trump was elected. That was before the got "lawyered-up" about all the still existing ways of evading U.S law.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 01:00 pm
@layman,
https://able2know.org/topic/404158-138#post-6664973

Turns out I didn't need to apologize, but I did before I knew that I wasn't wrong.

Just like I'm not wrong here...
Olivier5

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 01:02 pm
@layman,
Quote:
children are being placed with relatives or in child shelters.

I don't think that's a fact.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 01:06 pm
@maporsche,
[url][/url]
maporsche wrote:

https://able2know.org/topic/404158-138#post-6664973

Turns out I didn't need to apologize, but I did before I knew that I wasn't wrong.

Just like I'm not wrong here...

You are wrong here. Your graph has nothing to do with arrests. Read it.

OK, that was in another thread, which I hadn't even looked at.

Btw, the graph I posted said "Illinois isn't so blue anymore," and was from 2018, not 2016. Demorcrats better not count Illinois as being "in the bag."
Olivier5

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 01:09 pm
So do you.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 01:09 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Btw, the graph I posted said "Illinois isn't so blue anymore," and was from 2018, not 2016. Demorcrats better not count Illinois as being "in the bag."

But your claim was "With the exception of Cook County (and maybe one other) Illinois was solid red in the last election."

The last election was in 2016.

We should keep that discussion over there though; I apologize to the readers of this thread.
layman

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 01:12 pm
@maporsche,
OK, the specifics of that particular claim were wrong, but the point wasn't.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 01:54 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
This whole unpleasant episode started when the Trump administration drafted and instituted a new "zero tolerance" policy.
OK.

maxdancona wrote:
You still refuse to accept that the Trump administration bears the sole responsibility for this policy.
That is because the Trump Administration is not responsible for your efforts to block changes to this policy.

maxdancona wrote:
They invented it. They implemented it. They own it.
They are only responsible for their own choices. They are not responsible for your efforts to prevent the problem from being fixed.

maxdancona wrote:
You seem to think you are a mind reader.
Not really. I am just taking note of your actions.

maxdancona wrote:
You aren't a very good one.
Your efforts to prevent this policy from being fixed are quite clear.

maxdancona wrote:
For the record, I would not be happy if family separation continues. I think I already made that clear.
Yet you fought to oppose actions that would prevent them.

maxdancona wrote:
I would support a law passed that provides for humane detention of families together.. provided it didn't contain other thing I oppose. The idea that I have to accept Trump's agenda in order to get this law is ridiculous.
Legislation passes through compromise. It is silly to pretend that it doesn't.

It would be one thing if what Trump wanted to add to the legislation was something deeply offensive to you. But your only objection to the wall is the fact that he wants the wall and you want to defeat and humiliate him. That was a poor reason to oppose efforts to solve this problem.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 01:56 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Trump administration will stop prosecuting migrant parents who cross the border illegally with children, official says
Quote:
The dramatic about-face comes just one day after President Trump signed an executive order ending his administration's widely denounced practice of separating families apprehended at the Mexico border.

Trump's order said the government would maintain a "zero tolerance" policy toward those who break the law, but a senior U.S. official, when asked to explain how the federal government would change enforcement practices, told The Washington Post that Border Patrol agents have been instructed to stop sending parents with children to federal courthouses for prosecution.

"We're suspending prosecutions of adults who are members of family units until ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) can accelerate resource capability to allow us to maintain custody," the official said.

I mean, Trump is just such a great guy to implement this policy (without congress). What a true American hero and a statesman.

So we're back to "catch and release" so long as someone has a kid with them?
maporsche

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 01:58 pm
@oralloy,
I imagine they get apprehended/arrested, processed in 1-20 days, and released with an ankle bracelet and required to show up in the future.

I've heard that they're trying to get their court hearings done within the 20 day period. So they'd be handled depending on the result of that hearing. Those that don't make the 20 days will be released with a bracelet.

But I haven't seen the specifics; that's just my impression of what will happen.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 01:58 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
https://archives.cjr.org/feature/the_great_right_hype.php
Quote:
With its conservative tone and story list, The Daily Caller reads more like a twenty-sixth Fox News than New York’s storied gray lady.

The Caller has carved out a cozy corner of the web in its short life. It’s a place for conservatives to read about the latest liberal scandal and the latest movements in the GOP presidential field.
So it's a conservative website that advocates facts that they feel are pertinent.

Leftist websites are also free to point out facts that they believe are pertinent.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 02:05 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Pretty sure she gets paid to parrot them.
Pretty sure you denounce anyone who supports fairness and justice. This isn't your first case of histrionics in reaction to facts.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 02:06 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
And surprise surprise you got right wing propaganda. Obama is no longer president, nor is he responsible for this new "zero tolerance" policy that came from the Trump administration.
Obama is, however, responsible for these child detention centers that everyone is throwing a fit about.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 02:07 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
This has nothing to do with jailing infants separately from their parents... It's just another "Thanks Obama!" brought to you by the extreme right. You should know better than parrot them.
It is fair to respond to leftist histrionics about these child detention centers by pointing out that they are Obama's child detention centers.
0 Replies