The 'I voted' thread!

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 09:30 am
Big election today. Did you vote? I did! Got the cute sticker and everything.

http://chipneal.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/printelect-i-voted-today1.gif?w=450&h=450

The Conservatives here would be shocked to know that I voted... for a Republican in one of my local elections! Because he's a great guy with good ideas, even if I don't agree with all of them.

Did you vote? How were the lines? How was the weather? Were you there next to crazy people in line? Did you bring your kids so they could vote? Are you going to throw the bums out/protect your guys/flip the house/make a statement? Are you going to vote Green party of Libertarian?

Is there a race you think is going to go different? Are you going to stay up and watch the results with glee/horror?

Election time, here again, oh yeah, GO AMERICA!!

Cycloptichorn

djjd62

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 09:32 am
vote early, vote often
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 09:33 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Status from one of my friends on Facebook: "I remind all my Democrat friends to vote today. And all my Republican friends to vote tomorrow." Smile

Haven't gone yet, plan to pretty soon.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 09:35 am
@sozobe,
I remind all my democrat friends to vote against Obama democrats today...
I thank all of my republican friends for voting against Obama democrats early.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 09:48 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I'm heading out to vote later this afternoon Cy. Honestly, I am still up in the air about the governor's race here in SC. I'm not keen on the republican, but the democrat is too much a supporter of many of Obama's policies for my liking. But he does say a few things that I like. The 3rd candidate I've had trouble finding out enough about to cause me to go that direction. I have much the same problem with the election for Atty. General. I am leaning democrat in two other races, but probably won't decide until just before going into the booth.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 09:50 am
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:

I'm heading out to vote later this afternoon Cy. Honestly, I am still up in the air about the governor's race here in SC. I'm not keen on the republican, but the democrat is too much a supporter of many of Obama's policies for my liking. But he does say a few things that I like. The 3rd candidate I've had trouble finding out enough about to cause me to go that direction. I have much the same problem with the election for Atty. General. I am leaning democrat in two other races, but probably won't decide until just before going into the booth.

Okay, so here's a question: does whether the Gov supports Obama matter or not? It seems like most of his decisions won't have much of anything to do with it in the end, other than political posturing.

I've never been to SC but I hear it's a pretty place; I hope you have good weather for your vote!

Cycloptichorn
CoastalRat

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 09:56 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Weather should be decent here in the Charleston area. Mid 60's I think and sunny today.

And your point about the governor is what I am bouncing around in my mind. It probably should not matter how the candidate feels about Obama's policies, but I can't escape the feeling that a vote for him is a vote endorsing his support of those policies. This decision would have been much easier had a different republican won the primary. Just about any of them other than Nikki Haley. I just have several issues with her (my wife says it is because she is a woman, but that is just to get my goat.)

Oh well, it might be time to flip a coin. (kidding) If you ever do get to the coast of SC Cy, you let me know. I'll buy you a cold one and we can get together and talk anything but politics. lol
rabel22

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 09:58 am
I will vote, but all I feel is relief that I will be able to listen to tv and radio without haveing to listen to the political garbage on them!
boomerang

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 09:59 am
I voted last week. We vote by mail so we get about 3 weeks to vote -- I love it!

I voted a bit differently than usual this time around. I typically support the bond measures for improving services and maintaining certain sites. This time I didn't; mostly because the tree war has morphed into the leaf war and both have piled expense after expense on property owners to maintain city owned right of ways. I'm not voting for anything that raises property tax until we have a sales tax.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 10:02 am
@rabel22,
My wife would second that. As would I. It is the worst part of election campaigns. Every last political commercial last night started out bashing the other candidate and then at the end a brief attempt at some highlight of the candidates own credentials. Almost an afterthought. Ugh!
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 10:42 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I voted by mail three weeks ago. Butrflynet voted early last week just in time because she got a very very bad cold.

Dolly and Madison doggies would like to vote but the sore heads won't let them.

BBB
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 10:53 am
@CoastalRat,
i wish the ads were even more negative, i think they should be allowed to use out right slander and libel

"democrat bob jones skins live kittens"

"republican sam sneed bathes in blood"

that would liven things up a bit
engineer

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 11:12 am
@CoastalRat,
If I was in SC, I would go Dem just to save the education system. Your current governor is doing a pretty big hatchet job on it. Those of here across your northern border just shake our heads.

P.S. Yes, I voted today bright and early. Big race for Congress between a Tea Party guy who is nationally infamous for being a suspected war criminal and our ten term Congressman.
CoastalRat

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 11:13 am
@djjd62,
You may have a point there. It would make having to watch them a bit more bearable.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 11:19 am
@engineer,
Well, there have been both republican and democrats in the governor's mansion down here and none have figured out how to fix education, so I'm not sure that would be a valid reason for me to go with the dem.

I think that if I were in charge, I would have the perfect solution to fixing the education problem, and it has nothing to do with money. But I'm sure some would find my solution totally outrageous.
0 Replies

jim THomason

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 01:02 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
yep I did!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 01:13 pm
Voted! No particular lines, pretty painless overall. I hope, though, that I just missed the rush and there will be a lot more voters in general.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 01:14 pm
I voted!
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 01:19 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I voted a half hour ago. Took me about 4 minutes to walk in the polling station , sign in, vote, and walk out again. And 4 minutes is a liberal guess. Could have actually been less time in the polling station.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 01:19 pm
@FreeDuck,
Yay!

Facebook is evil but I think they're doing a real service with the "Today is Election Day/ I voted [or after you have, Thanks For Voting]" thing at the top of the page. It's heartening to see those numbers go up (currently 5,138,947) and it's satisfying to click the "I voted" button.
0 Replies