snood

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 04:39 am
Since there doesn't seem to be a thread dedicated solely to discussing Romney's candidacy, pro & con....

To start things off, here's an article about him refusing to state his position on repealing the immigration policy Obama just enacted - I think it is a good example of Romney's spinelessness:

“But would you repealed (sic) this?” Schieffer pressed.

“Well, it would be overtaken by events, if you will, by virtue of my putting in place a long-term solution with legislation that creates law that relates to these individuals such that they no what their setting is going to be,” Romney explained.

“I don’t want keep on about this, but just to make sure I understand, would you leave this in place while you work out a long-term solution or would you just repeal it?” the CBS host asked again.

“We’ll look at that setting as we reach that,” Romney insisted...

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/06/17/romney-refuses-to-say-if-he-would-undo-obamas-immigration-policy/

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 55 • Views: 173,721 • Replies: 3,380

DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 07:27 am
@snood,
All Republicans have learned from Bush Senior. Make no promises, because people will then expect you to keep them.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 07:28 am
@DrewDad,
Unfortunately, that's the only lesson they seem to have learned in the last 20 years.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 10:13 am
The only question might be is whether those that do not see Romney as their preferred candidate will still vote for him, in context of President Obama's track record during the past four years. That track record includes one's possible hoped for promises, like Guantanamo, and "spreading the wealth around."

Regardless, most people I believe, are concerned with the economy. Not just for them, but for family, friends, etc. And, how long did it take FDR to implement the WPA, during the depession? In my opinion, voters might be thinking that President Obama's "bag of tricks," to fix the unemployment, might be empty. Therefore, a vote for Romney may just be a vote for a hoped for bag of tricks (to fix the unemployment) that has some new, unseen tricks?

A vote for Romney, in many people's minds, could be like when a young person accepts a different "blind date," after the prior blind date was disappointing.

That could be Romneys campaign slogan: You'll Only Have Yourself To Blame, If You Are Disappointed Twice!
mysteryman

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 12:20 pm
@DrewDad,
Like they expected Obama to keep his?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 12:27 pm
@mysteryman,
so what's your pro and con list for Romney?
mysteryman

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 12:30 pm
@ehBeth,
To be honest, I havent decided to support him or not.
He has some good points, as does Obama.

And he has some bad points, as does Obama.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 12:45 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
To start things off, here's an article about him refusing to state his position on repealing the immigration policy Obama just enacted - I think it is a good example of Romney's spinelessness:
Without implying any correlation to other behaviors beyond this one... I would't classify his lack of response to this particular issue as spinelessness but rather, political expediency. I don't think Romney gains anything by taking a stance on this yet. He's better off letting the whole thing ride for a while and testing the political winds before making a move.

Remember that for the next few months both candidates are going to be moving pawns and knights very strategically to construct a board which maximizes their probability of success in the end game. Everything we see (or read between the lines) for the next few months has to be seen within the context of the campaign.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 12:49 pm
@mysteryman,
I didn't ask if you were supporting Romney.

I asked what you thought his pros and cons are.

(does someone have to know if they're supporting a candidate before they work out the pros and cons?)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 01:01 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Like they expected Obama to keep his?

The only promise that I'm really upset about him not keeping is the detention facility at Guantanamo.

Since it's not something that I would expect to be rectified by a Republican administration, it doesn't really factor into my choice of who to vote for.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 01:24 pm
I'd say that the biggest con for Romney is the fact that nobody on his own side is a full-throated voice of support for him. All they ever do is attack Obama.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 01:41 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

so what's your pro and con list for Romney?

Perhaps he is waiting to read yours?
DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 01:45 pm
@McGentrix,
I'd be interested in reading any of someone's pro list for Romney.

The guy is the poster child for "the skills required to get the job have nothing to do with performing the job."

He has no moral center at all, from what I can tell. All he cares about is getting 50% +1 votes.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 01:52 pm
@McGentrix,
I don't think anyone's interested in my pro/con list for any U.S. candidate.

I could give you pro/con lists for most of our Canadian party leaders (I was going to say all, but I really only know the ones for the parties that are represented in our federal Parliament).

I think it's important to know the strengths and weaknesses of all of the options.

Does anyone have a pro/con list for Mr. Romney? there are whacks of threads going both ways on Mr. Obama - I thought this was a great thread idea.
djjd62

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 01:56 pm
my pro and con list for any politician

pro
they'll eventually die

con
probably not soon enough
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 01:58 pm
I will follow the topic, but reserve the right to merely read without giving much input.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 02:04 pm
@DrewDad,
Foofie has told us his 'pro' for Romney on a number of threads.

Romney is a WASP.
djjd62

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 02:07 pm
@ehBeth,
i always think of him more as a WISP, blows around if the wind changes Razz
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 02:35 pm
@ehBeth,
My own pro/con list for Romney:

Pros:

- Seems to be a basically intelligent person.

- Has held moderate-t0-liberal positions in the past. (Pro-gay marriage, etc.)

Cons:

- Etch-a-sketch. He has proven himself stupendously willing to change his positions.

- Private-sector/ business executive experience doesn't translate well to governing. You need to serve everyone when you govern a nation -- the richest and also the poorest -- while in a business you can (and should) be much more ruthless. (I.e., in a nation, if a child is starving you should do something about it. In a business, if a child is starving that's not your problem, and if the child's father's productivity is declining significantly because he's giving all of the food he can scrounge to his many children, then as a successful steward of your business' bottom line you should fire him.)

- His current, stated positions on just about everything. (Abortion, gay marriage, the environment, foreign policy, taxes, etc., etc.)

- His fealty to the far right, as weighed against his formerly moderate positions. He has to pander to them to get elected, and he would be beholden to them in office. I see no reason that he would revert to being a moderate if he were elected.

- His willingness to tell flat-out whoppers. He's still coasting on a reputation as a basically nice (if boring) guy, but he's been doing some really sleazy stuff on the stump. Not just standard tweaks and evasions but major misrepresentations, and repetitions of lies that have been proven to be lies.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 04:13 pm
pro: he won't be much different than Obama

con: he won't be much different than Obama
0 Replies