My own pro/con list for Romney:
- Seems to be a basically intelligent person.
- Has held moderate-t0-liberal positions in the past. (Pro-gay marriage, etc.)
- Etch-a-sketch. He has proven himself stupendously willing to change his positions.
- Private-sector/ business executive experience doesn't translate well to governing. You need to serve everyone
when you govern a nation -- the richest and also the poorest -- while in a business you can (and should) be much more ruthless. (I.e., in a nation, if a child is starving you should do something about it. In a business, if a child is starving that's not your problem, and if the child's father's productivity is declining significantly because he's giving all of the food he can scrounge to his many children, then as a successful steward of your business' bottom line you should fire him.)
- His current, stated positions on just about everything. (Abortion, gay marriage, the environment, foreign policy, taxes, etc., etc.)
- His fealty to the far right, as weighed against his formerly moderate positions. He has to pander to them to get elected, and he would be beholden to them in office. I see no reason that he would revert to being a moderate if he were elected.
- His willingness to tell flat-out whoppers. He's still coasting on a reputation as a basically nice (if boring) guy, but he's been doing some really sleazy stuff on the stump. Not just standard tweaks and evasions but major misrepresentations, and repetitions of lies that have been proven to be lies.