Why I left the Democratic Party

maporsche

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 05:39 am
@layman,
My apologies Layman. I sourced Wikipedia and it looks like they turned some counties light-blue if Clinton got 40-50%. That is a method of showing county results that I didn’t expect and I just briefly glanced at it to count blue counties.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election_in_Illinois,_2016

Regardless, you are doing the same things Republicans always do. Showing vast parts of the country that are ‘red’ when the only thing in those counties or state are corn fields (which I already pointed out, can’t vote).

A big red Illinois means very little when you realize that very few people live in those counties.

Clinton won 55-38 percent. That’s a difference of 17%. As you said, that ain’t nothing.
maporsche

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 06:13 am
@maporsche,
A little more digging.

Clinton beat Trump in 12 counties (that my be why the light blue matters). In some of those counties she beat Trump 48%-43% for example.

So that big red map is wrong (or is showing something else). The Wikipedia one is right.
nimh

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 06:44 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

So that big red map is wrong (or is showing something else).

Oh you just need to read the description underneath. It explains it all very well:

Quote:
illinois electoral map by county election analysis on the edge of urban rural divide, illinois electoral map by county depaul professors predict close governor s race the, illinois electoral map by county 29 brilliant presidential election afputra com, illinois electoral map by county united states presidential election in 2016 wikipedia, illinois electoral map by county election results 2008 the new york times, illinois electoral map by county presidential vote results chicago tribune, illinois electoral map by county presidential vote results chicago tribune, illinois electoral map by county not so blue these days chicago muckrakers, Gallery.

If you like this picture please right click and save the picture, thanks for visiting this website, we provide a lot of options related to Illinois Electoral Map By County Not So Blue These Days Chicago Muckrakers images for you, do not hesitate to come back.

OK, maybe not.

Mystery solved:

The map Layman posted was the map of the 2010 gubernatorial election.

The last time the presidential election result looked like that was in 1980, just 38 years ago.
nimh

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 06:53 pm
@nimh,
Meanwhile, if anyone else is curious, in real-life Illinois right now Trump's job approval is 37% vs disapproval at 57%, says Morning Consult. The only states where his numbers are worse are Massachussetts and Vermont: https://morningconsult.com/tracking-trump/
layman

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 07:15 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

Yeah, where do you see that? The caption I see says:

Quote:
ILLINOIS ELECTORAL MAP BY COUNTY
Monday, March 5th, 2018 Maps
ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 07:29 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

OK, maybe not.

Mystery solved:

http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-muckrakers/2010/11/illinois-electoral-map-not-so-blue-these-days/#image/1

November 9, 2010

http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-muckrakers/files/2011/06/ILgov2010.jpg

Quote:
Democrat Pat Quinn narrowly escapes a strong challenge from Republican Bill Brady due mostly to an overwhelming victory in Cook County. But Quinn won just two counties outside of Cook.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 07:30 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
Corn fields still can't vote. Neither do soy fields. Nor do cows.

I am interested to see what the impact of tariffs on soy etc will do to the voting habits of the people walking those soy fields. Maybe those soy fields will find a way to vote.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 07:35 pm
@nimh,
that's a great page - the slider is dangerous - I always end up trying to trace back the reason for changes in various areas and fall into the vortex
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 07:50 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Yeah, where do you see that? The caption I see says:

Quote:
ILLINOIS ELECTORAL MAP BY COUNTY
Monday, March 5th, 2018 Maps

Well, it is an "electoral map by county". Just not of the presidential election.

I'll also readily believe that this garbage spam site with its auto-generated garbled nonsense captions and stolen content posted this particular map on March 5th, 2018. But, eh, and?

Luckily Google is easy to use and it wasn't hard to figure out where the map came from -- and that it is a map about the 2010 gubernatorial election.

Still, again - there was a presidential election where the map looked exactly like this!

In 1980.

Lash

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 08:34 pm
@nimh,
May be accurate; may be another mis-self-reporting such as before 2016 festivities.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2018 07:55 am
@nimh,
I imagine he’ll apologize soon once he knows of his error.
oralloy

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2018 02:27 am
@nimh,
nimh wrote:
Of all the things to attack Lash over... Yeah, a lot of memes involve putting the face of politicians, celebrities, or who the **** ever into one of the popular standard meme layouts. I'm sure you've seen some.
Somewhere else on the internet, there is a thread on a website where a leftist poster is making a list of all the Trump supporters on that site, for future reference when all the Trump supporters in the country are prosecuted in Nuremberg‑like tribunals.

I came across the thread in a search query because someone decided to condemn the Democrats for the WWII A‑bombings, and I just had to jump in and set the record straight.

Anyway, getting to the point, someone posted this meme graphic in the thread, and I thought it was funny, so I'm re‑posting it here:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-OuUzcZq0AVU/TsKFrlEVVZI/AAAAAAAAAhE/WI2_Wmcmysw/s1600/on%2Bmy%2Blist.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2018 09:25 am
@maporsche,
Don't hold your breath.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2018 05:24 am
Democrats = Republicans

https://theintercept.com/2018/06/19/joe-crowley-gop-lobbyist-bgr-fundraiser/

HOUSE DEMOCRATIC CAUCUS Chair Rep. Joe Crowley, D-N.Y., is raising last-minute campaign cash from a corporate lobbying firm famous for its ties to the Republican Party.

Faced with a surprisingly strong challenge from progressive first-time candidate Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in New York’s Democratic primary, Crowley, the fourth-ranking House Democrat, is slated to appear at the the offices of BGR Group on 13th Street in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday afternoon for a fundraising reception, according to a copy of an invitation obtained by The Intercept.

The fundraiser is at an odd venue for a Democrat who claims to be an avowed opponent of the GOP.
The invitation lists Crowley’s position in leadership of the Democratic Party and as a member of the powerful Ways & Means Committee, which oversees tax policy. The fundraiser, which asks for $500 minimum to attend as an individual and $1,000 to attend for political action committees, is at an odd venue for a Democrat who claims to be an avowed opponent of the GOP.

BGR is named for its founding partners, all of whom are Republican: Haley Barbour, the former Republican National Committee chair; Ed Rogers, a former aide to President Ronald Reagan; and Lanny Griffith, a former education official in President George H.W. Bush’s administration.

CrowleyBGR
1 page
The firm boasts a high-profile list of clients, many of whom face contentious issues on Capitol Hill.

BGR Group represents defense giants Raytheon, Huntington Ingalls, and United Technologies on procurement. Pharmaceutical firms, including Eli Lilly and Company, retain BGR Group explicitly to stave off the threat of lowering drug prices, according to lobbying disclosures. Cardinal Health — which is facing lawsuits across the country for its role in fueling the opioid epidemic by supplying known “pill-mill” pharmacies — hired BGR Group on pending legislation dealing with “pharmaceutical product distribution.” Other firms facing increasing scrutiny, including Amazon, Verizon, and Chevron, are also BGR Group clients.

BGR also boasts a roster of foreign-based clients. The company represents several foreign governments, including the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, which is known for hiring Washington influence-peddling firms as it seeks support for a brutal war it is waging in Yemen. BGR also represents two companies controlled by Russian billionaire Mikhail Fridman: Alfa Bank and LetterOne Holdings. The FBI is reportedly scrutinizing suspicious communications between the Trump Organization and Alfa Bank’s computer servers during the presidential campaign.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2018 06:27 pm
Texas Democratic U.S. House candidate MJ Hegar

MJ Hegar - Doors
maporsche

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2018 11:06 pm
“Why I won’t vote democratic anymore and will instead waste my vote and allow trump to get elected?”

Because the SCOTUS won’t have any lasting impact on my future priorities as a nation. Those decisions aren’t important for anything at all.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2018 11:34 pm
@Real Music,
We need to see a lot more candidates like her.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2018 04:14 am
Revolution!!

Out with the old, corrupt gasbags, in with the new!

Excerpt:

Democratic voters in New York’s 14th Congressional District delivered a shock to the political system Tuesday night, rejecting the fourth-ranking member of the party’s House leadership, Representative Joseph Crowley, in favor of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a 28-year-old former Bernie Sanders campaign organizer who has called for abolishing the nation’s immigration and customs enforcement agency.

In doing so, voters delivered a message to Democrats and Republicans across the country, and perhaps in Albany: The liberal base is fired up, showing up at the polls, and may be ignored only at great political risk.

Ms. Ocasio-Cortez’s victory is a vivid sign of the changing of the guard. In addition to more liberal immigration laws, she ran on a platform calling for Medicare for all and a federal jobs guarantee. She also talked about the housing crisis in New York City, an issue that resonates deeply with many voters here.
Her district, which runs through Queens and the Bronx, is majority-minority, but its leadership has yet to reflect those changes. That’s something Ms. Ocasio-Cortez was able to capitalize on fluently, casting herself as part of a new generation of young, unabashedly liberal Democrats unwilling to wait their turn any longer.

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2018 07:20 am
@Lash,
Well and good, I just hope she can beat whoever won in the republican primary. I have my doubts, but I truly hope I am wrong.
Lash

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2018 07:28 am
Meet Alexandria! She’s opening the floodgates for legitimate progressives to take care of the people’s business.

This is a great day for Americans.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5b3307a5e4b0b5e692f25e18/amp?64r=&__twitter_impression=true

QUEENS, N.Y. ― Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s stunning primary victory over powerful U.S. Rep. Joe Crowley in the working-class New York district stretching from the Bronx to Queens is likely to propel her avowedly left-wing platform into the Democratic mainstream as the 2018 midterm elections heat up.

But her detailed proposals to deal with climate change could prove among the most influential at a time when the Democrats have failed to rally around any policy that could feasibly reduce greenhouse gas emissions dramatically enough to make a difference.

Ocasio-Cortez outlined plans to transition the United States to a 100 percent renewable energy system by 2035. It’s a goal hailed by environmentalists as the last best hope of staving off the most catastrophic effects of human-caused planetary warming, and it’s one already adopted by a coalition of mayors representing 42 percent of U.S. electricity use and representing major cities such as Atlanta and St. Louis.

What sets Ocasio-Cortez’s proposal apart is her plan to meet the target by implementing what she called a “Green New Deal,” a federal plan to spur “the investment of trillions of dollars and the creation of millions of high-wage jobs.” Though the slogan harks back to President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s 1930s New Deal program of infrastructure spending and labor reforms, she compared the program she envisions to the tens of billions of dollars spent on armaments manufacturing and the rebuilding of Europe after World War II.
0 Replies