Hillary Clinton Get's it. Will her supporters listen?

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 06:57 am
Hillary wrote:
"I applaud Senator Sanders and his millions of supporters for wanting to get unaccountable money out of our politics and giving greater emphasis to closing the gap of inequality ...

"And I know together we will get that done, because whether you support Senator Sanders or support me, there's much more that unites us than divides us."

There is so much nastiness from Clinton supporters. She has a campaign to run and she has the task of uniting the party.

Her supporters aren't doing her any favors.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 20 • Views: 18,541 • Replies: 133

revelette2

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 07:17 am
@maxdancona,
So, how are we to respond online to Bernie supporters if we feel they either giving false information or just being nasty themselves? This is a political forum, the whole purpose is to do debate political issues. Of course in polite circles we wouldn't be confrontational to Bernie supporters, at least I wouldn't. I also encourage Bernie supporters to unite with Hillary supporters and concentrate on opposing republicans in the fall. She is right that there is much more to unite us than divide us, but she has been saying that from the beginning.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 07:30 am
@revelette2,
Quote:
So, how are we to respond online to Bernie supporters if we feel they either giving false information or just being nasty themselves?

That's up to you Revelette. In any interaction you have the choice of responding positively or negatively. You can listen or you can denigrate. You can overlook perceived slights or you can escalate with personal attacks.

It is all up to you. Hillary has an election to win and she needs as many votes as she can get. She doesn't have the luxury of responding negatively or of taking offense at people disagreeing with her.

Hillary would like to reach out to us Bernie supporters. Right now, we represent votes that she needs. Bernie and his supporters have earned some leverage to put things like economic inequality and single payer healthcare in the discussion and to impact the platform.

I have a son serving in the Army. I want a discussion about the cost of military intervention to be part of the convention... and I want Bernie to push Hillary on this issue. I have rather strong personal interest in this issue.

We lost the primary, but we have tens of millions of voters. We do get a seat at the table and we do get to have our voice heard.

Hillary is now the leader of the party. It is her responsibility to listen with patience as part of her task to unite the party.
Blickers

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 08:00 am
@maxdancona,
I heard Hillary last night too. She didn't outright say she would change policy, but she didn't close the door on some kind of concession or coming together on some things either. Very healthy.

I also don't mind a bit if Bernie keeps on going. If nothing else, (and actually there is quite a bit else that is good about Bernie), his small-donation model for financing a campaign that actually can raise enough to oppose the "beg the big money boys" model is eye-opening. I'm thinking of sending him $27 myself, now that the contest is pretty much over.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 08:03 am
@maxdancona,
I'm so tired of you.

You've said time and time and time and time again that it's up to HILLARY to earn Bernie supporters votes.

You've finally given her credit for reaching out to them, and now you've found something new to bitch about, without even acknowledging that the attacks on this board and in the internets are coming from BOTH sides and people being people are going to respond.

I don't mean this literally (do whatever you want), but you just need to shut the **** up now.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 08:11 am
@maporsche,
If you are so tired of me, I don't understand why you are choosing to join my thread. You could just move along instead of choosing to engage with me here. My position during this primary election has always been position based... and it remains so. I haven't made any personal attacks on Hillary or her supporters (and I certainly haven't told anyone to "shut the **** up").

Hillary won the primary. She is now the leader of the Democratic party and the person responsible for reaching out for votes. Bernie lost the primary, but he has done a good job articulating a message that has earned support from tens of millions of the voters that Hillary now needs to win the election.

As a Bernie supporter, I want him to use the political leverage that his campaign has earned to push the party platform. This is how our political process works. Hillary, as the leader of the Democratic party needs to listen to the voters as she builds a winning coalition.

If you are a Hillary supporter attacking these voters that Hillary is reaching out to, you aren't doing her any favors.

maporsche

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 08:18 am
@maxdancona,
I honestly don't want you to vote for her anymore.

In fact, I truly hope you don't. It won't make any difference.

You and Lash can vote for Trump if it makes you happy and I really won't give two shits.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 08:35 am
@maporsche,
Hillary wants me (and Lash and people like me and Lash) to vote for her. I don't think she cares what you think.

This election should be about positions and policy, not about personal attacks or hurt feelings. Even after the primary it is still about positions and policy. These things matter. Bernie will use the leverage he has earned to push for the positions and policy that he and his supporters care passionately about. Then he will fade and the election will be about Hillary and her rival. This is the way the process works.

Hillary understands this. Her supporters should too. Making this personal doesn't help the Hillary cause.
maporsche

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 08:38 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Hillary wants me (and Lash and people like me and Lash) to vote for her. I don't think she cares what you think.

And no one cares what you think either Max; Clinton is not asking for your advice. No one posting on this board is asking for your advice.

I'm glad you gave it, but no one gives a **** either.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 08:40 am
And this whole brand new damn thread is an attack on Hillary supporters. Any claim otherwise is simply you lying.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 08:42 am
@maporsche,
My claim in this thread is that Hillary supporters are not helping Hillary's cause.

She is working to unite the party. You are telling people to "shut the **** up".

That's exactly the point.
maporsche

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 08:46 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

My claim in this thread is that Hillary supporters are not helping Hillary's cause.

She is working to unite the party. You are telling people to "shut the **** up".

That's exactly the point.

I'm not telling PEOPLE to shut the **** up.....I'm telling YOU that you should shut the **** up (and I said that wasn't meant to be taken literally).

I'm saying that because you've been nothing but wrong about this entire primary. You're wrong now too.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 08:50 am
@maporsche,
I haven't been wrong about anything in this primary. I have never suggested that Hillary wasn't the likely candidate, and after New York I accepted that Bernie's chances went from almost zero to zero. There will be some debate over party platform, but I know that the primary is over.

Now Hillary is reaching out to me. She agrees with me about her responsibility to reach out to Bernie supporters and to unify the party. And she is asking me for my vote.

Why can't you get on board Maporsche. We are on the same side now.
maporsche

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 08:54 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Why can't you get on board Maporsche. We are on the same side now.

I am on board max (and Hillary has been reaching out to you for MONTHS); I just don't appreciate being thrown to the mat AGAIN by you and your one-sided attacks on only Hillary supporters. I haven't responded to one Lash or Olivier5 comment in like 4 days...I've moved on. They've simply lost and can't handle it...I'm wondering if you're in the same boat.

But if you want to keep attacking Clinton supporters instead of turning your attention to Trump/Cruz then by all means, use your limited time in such a productive manner.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 08:59 am
@maporsche,
Lol Maporsche. You said "shut the **** up". I don't see anyone else losing it this way.

If you want Hillary to win, you will take a deep breath, pull yourself together, and support Hillary's effort to unite the party. This isn't about your hurt feelings.

maporsche

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 09:02 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Lol Maporsche. You said "shut the **** up". I don't see anyone else losing it this way.

When you read my words in your head, do you picture me jumping up and down at my desk foaming at the mouth typing in those words?

I can assure you, it much more looks like me sitting on the train bopping my head a little to some music and trying to stay awake until my train stops.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 01:31 pm
@maxdancona,
Boy, you really want to forgive and forget don't you?
maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 01:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
All I want is the nastiness to stop. Then we can get to the task of defeating Trump.
Lash

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 01:45 pm
@maxdancona,
You seem to be a very forgiving man.
Kudos to you for the even-handed way you moved through this maelstrom.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 02:13 pm
@maxdancona,
Oh stop it.

Clinton throws out a fig leaf that anyone with an ounce of political savvy could have predicted and you're ready to cloak yourself with it.

She didn't stop being what she was when Sanders had a slim chance of winning because now he has no chance and she's ready to be magnanimous.

If you never had a problem with her, but just preferred Sanders, fine. My recollection of your numerous posts on the subject doesn't suggest this, but you get to assert whatever you want.

At some point Trump is going to win the GOP nomination and the fig leaves will be flying. If you find me waving one around you have my permission to metaphorically shove it up my conservative ass.

It doesn't matter to me whether or not Berners vote for Clinton. One way or the other we are going to end up with a terrible president. I would just like to see people stay true to their rhetoric.