Kids in cages; how does anyone defend this

oralloy

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 02:08 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Lash wrote:
trump's decision to enforce prosecution of illegal immigration spiraled up the number of arrests, which spiraled up the number of family separations.
So Bernie is right: this crisis is Trump's own doing.
Well, it is Trump's fault that he decided to enforce the law, if that's what you mean.
layman

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 02:16 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
So we're back to "catch and release" so long as someone has a kid with them?

Naw. Roy, that report was completely false. It's from Wapo, what else would you expect?
Olivier5

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 02:22 pm
@oralloy,
The law does not force anyone to dismantle families of illegal immigrants while in detention. That's an administrative matter, a policy wich was just changed with a mere executive order signed by Trump's little fingers.
oralloy

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 02:24 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
The purpose, in the case of US citizens, is to avoid the incarceration of innocent children. But what's the purpose in the case of immigrants?
The same purpose.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 02:30 pm
consider yourselves all asked

over and over til you answer

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/35898089_2072661406081643_3041254947749363712_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=ba4745ad30de444ed0fc460d75242e0f&oe=5BAFB3AA
layman

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 02:32 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes, I do.

Parents do it every day, year in, year out.

They're called "cribs," designed to contain and protect the little critters.

No doubt some Trump haters would rather see them just put out on the street, and forgotten about, but.....
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 02:46 pm
I'm starting to like this woman...

Quote:
Melania Trump visits child detention center as fate of families remains unclear

As first lady visits US-Mexico border, there’s no indication that parents separated from their children will be reunited.

Lauren Gambino in Washington and Oliver Laughland in Brownsville, Texas

Thu 21 Jun 2018 21.12 BSTFirst published on Thu 21 Jun 2018 17.52 BST

Melania Trump has made an unannounced visit to the US-Mexico border a day after the president retreated on immigration policy and signed an executive order to end his policy of family separations amid enormous political pressure.

The first lady was taking part in briefings and attending a tour of a “nonprofit social services center for children who have entered the United States illegally and a customs and border patrol processing center”, according to a statement from her office.

Trump’s visit began with a tour of New Hope Children’s Shelter, a nonprofit center in McAllen, Texas, that houses roughly 60 children, mostly teenagers who have traveled from Central America.

“Thank you so much for having me today. I’m glad I’m here and looking forward to meeting the children,” Trump said, sitting at a table with the health and human services secretary, Alex Azar, at a center in McAllen, Texas.

“I’d also like to ask you how I can help reunite these children with their families as quickly as possible,” she added.

Thousands of children have been separated from their parents in recent weeks as a direct result of the Trump administration’s “zero tolerance” policy on unlawful border crossings. The authorities have been arresting, prosecuting and jailing adults while putting their children in separate detention camps.

“Her goals are to thank law enforcement and social services providers for their hard work, lend support and hear more on how the administration can build upon the already existing efforts to reunite children with their families,” the statement said.

While Donald Trump’s order halts separations, his administration has not said how it plans to reunite the more than 2,300 children who were taken from their parents at the border in recent weeks

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jun/21/melania-trump-family-child-separation-detention-centre-visit-surprise
layman

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 02:52 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
While Donald Trump’s order halts separations, his administration has not said how it plans to reunite the more than 2,300 children who were taken from their parents at the border in recent weeks.

I think most of them have already been sold, so it's pretty much a done deal at this point, I figure.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 02:54 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
Naw. Roy, that report was completely false. It's from Wapo, what else would you expect?
So what's really happening?
oralloy

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 02:55 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
The law does not force anyone to dismantle families of illegal immigrants while in detention. That's an administrative matter, a policy wich was just changed with a mere executive order signed by Trump's little fingers.
Sending children to prison alongside their parents is more humane?
layman

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 03:00 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

layman wrote:
So what's really happening?

Well, I don't know all the details. Trump is trying his best to at least temporarily circumvent the law, I guess. It's looks like maybe they are temporarily refraining from filing criminal charges, while still detaining them, but they will file later. That will give them another 20 days to play with until congress resolves this. Wapo had to correct it's story.

Quote:
This story has been updated to clarify how migrant parents will be processed going forward. An earlier version incorrectly stated the Trump administration was suspending prosecutions for parents of migrant children.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/us-will-stop-prosecuting-parents-who-cross-the-border-illegally-with-children-official-says/2018/06/21/4902b194-7564-11e8-805c-4b67019fcfe4_story.html?utm_term=.5d3c2488c35c
maporsche

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 03:04 pm
@layman,
The WaPo story says that current prosecutions will continue, but that "the U.S. Border Patrol will no longer refer migrant parents who cross into the United States illegally with children to federal courthouses to face criminal charges."

Sounds to me like that's a 'going-forward' policy and those currently detained will continue the process.
maporsche

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 03:08 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:
Sending children to prison alongside their parents is more humane?

It's a lot more humane than sending the parents to one detention center and the children to another detention center and allowing *some* of them a two 10 minute phone conversations per week.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 03:11 pm
Crisis actor spotted at Texas child migrant detention center

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/la-ol-enter-the-fray-crisis-actor-spotted-at-texas-child-1529602093-htmlstory.html
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 03:34 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

The WaPo story says that current prosecutions will continue, but that "the U.S. Border Patrol will no longer refer migrant parents who cross into the United States illegally with children to federal courthouses to face criminal charges."

Sounds to me like that's a 'going-forward' policy and those currently detained will continue the process.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here, but I suspect that you didn't read (or, more perhaps likely, intentionally omitted) this part of the article:

Quote:
A spokeswoman for the Justice Department, Sarah Isgur Flores, said “zero tolerance” remained in effect.

“There has been no change to the Department’s zero tolerance policy to prosecute adults who cross our border illegally instead of claiming asylum at any port of entry at the border,” she said.
maporsche

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 03:58 pm
@layman,
Right.

The Justice Department didn't change their policy.

The Border Patrol changed theirs. The BP will not refer people to the justice department (according to the story).
layman

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 04:02 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Right.

The Justice Department didn't change their policy.

The Border Patrol changed theirs. The BP will not refer people to the justice department (according to the story).

Exactly. The BP has been told to temporarily lay-off. It's no different with domestic law enforcement. Cops can, but need not, charge a suspect with a crime and hold them for trial. Another alternative is to forward the facts to the District Attorney's office, and let them decide to prosecute. Either way, the decision to prosecute is never with the cops, it's always the attorney's decision. Here the DOJ makes the decision, not the Border Patrol.
maporsche

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 04:04 pm
@layman,
So, it's "catch-and-release" by the BP for now.

That's what Oralloy was asking.
maporsche

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 04:05 pm
"Border Patrol agents were instructed Wednesday evening to stop sending parents with children to federal courthouses for prosecution."

"But the decision to refer migrants for criminal charges after crossing illegally rests with the U.S. Border Patrol, and the senior CBP official said the agency will no longer send parents who arrive with children to federal courts."

"Because ICE lacks the detention capacity to increase the number of families it holds in detention, the official acknowledged that many migrant parents and children will likely be released from custody while they await court hearings."
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 04:08 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

So, it's "catch-and-release" by the BP for now.

That's what Oralloy was asking.

No, it isn't. They are not being released. Nor does the story say, as you claim, that the cases are not being "referred" to the Justice Department. It merely says:

Quote:
Border Patrol agents were instructed Wednesday evening to stop sending parents with children to federal courthouses for prosecution....The decision to cease prosecutions of parents with children was made by the Department of Homeland Security for logistical purposes because the official said it would not be “feasible” to bring children to federal courtrooms while their parents go before a judge.