The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 11:01 pm
Just finished Jour de Fete (1949). A gentle comic film by the legendary French director, Jaques Tati

Most excellent physical comedy. Watched in on Hulu from the lovely people who make the Criterion Collection of remastered classic films.

What's your latest cinematic find? How did you visually consume it (so others can accessibly find it as well)?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 85 • Views: 240,853 • Replies: 1,452

jespah

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2016 07:10 am
@tsarstepan,
Egad, I think the last film I saw in a theater was Captain America, Winter Soldier. Haven't really been watching on streaming, etc.

I'll go to the 2017 Star Trek (Star Trek: Beyond) - probably in the theater but not on opening day.
mark noble

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2016 10:00 am
@tsarstepan,
independence day 2.
Crock of crap - No idea how it ended.
farmerman

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2016 10:00 am
@jespah,
last movie streamed was Hail Caeser. Really sucked IMHO, It waqs very inside and the Coens dint tqke that into consideration

Last Theater movie (in one of those new theaters with food service and lounge setups)we saw INDEPENDENCE DY II.... Was even funnier than the first one
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2016 10:24 am
I saw The Martian, finally, on TV. Last theater experience: likely Jurassic Park. I don't do streaming.
mark noble

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2016 10:37 am
@tsarstepan,
I recently streamed 'Angels with dirty faces' - Cagney - Damn fine movie.
neil

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2016 03:16 pm
@mark noble,
I enjoyed the hour long 30 year aniversary film of the Mount Saint Helens Eruption. Streamed, by National Geographic, I think. Mother nature and about a million trees planted has achieved restoration for the most part.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2016 04:48 pm
@farmerman,
mark noble wrote:
independence day 2.
Crock of crap - No idea how it ended.
farmerman wrote:
Last Theater movie (in one of those new theaters with food service and lounge setups)we saw INDEPENDENCE DY II.... Was even funnier than the first one

Creative means of destruction this time. Having a 3000 mile wide spacecraft scoop up ALL the skyscrapers/buildings/cars/etc. in Asia with a huge anti-gravity field, then fly over Europe and drop them from a fair height, then land over the Atlantic so that the edge of the spacecraft squashes the entire east coast of North America, was a pretty interesting way of messing us up.

Think there'll be a III?

The end of II seemed to set up the story for us to take the fight to the aliens.

Last movie I saw in theaters was Tarzan. Last I saw by streaming were the latest Harmy restorations of the original Star Wars trilogy.
Roberta

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2016 07:21 pm
I watched Secretariat on cable--on demand.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 12:01 am
What I've been binge-watching recently isn't a movie, but an Aussie TV murder mystery series, "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries", set in Melbourne in 1927, when the Great War was still a recent and painful memory, when society was just starting to loosen up in the Jazz Age. Miss Fisher is very smart and very good at being a "lady detective" a century before Cagney and Lacey came along. My sister the Aussie expat says it's huge in Australia, and I believe her. {BS is apparently showing it in the States, tho I got the DVD series before I knew that.
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 03:50 am
@MontereyJack,
Maryland Public Broadcasting has been showing the Miss Fisher series for a few years now an theyve "caught up" I dont want to spoil anything so Ill let it at that but something does occur that will introduce the next series of her series.
She is kind of a hottie who is liberated even by todays standards.

I like the sexual tension between her and the cop and the cars of that age. Some of the stories can get overly contrived, like when she takes over that radio station to catch a murderer, or when she joins the circus.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 11:16 am
@MontereyJack,
Started listening to the first book of the Miss Fisher series from Audible last week. Still haven't seen any of the episodes.

This week, finished the last 4 episodes of the FX comedy, The League (2009).
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 05:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
The City of the Dead (1960), 3/10. Not much of a city. The RiffTrax commentary made it a destination for tourism.

0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 10:42 pm
The last movie I saw in the theater was The Lobster. Not only did I go alone, but there was no one else in the cinema.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 06:23 am
@Kolyo,
How was it? As bizarre as the premise makes it out to be?

Colin Farrell is such an underrated actor. I'm still pissed that he was not only snubbed for his role as Ray in In Bruges (2008)... he should have won that year.
mark noble

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 08:50 am
@oralloy,
Tarzan was ok.
Big-screen advised
I won't be wasting time on 'inde III'.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 08:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
The movie was fantastic, as long as you take it as intended, as satire, and aren't bothered by the fact that this dystopian future is pretty much guaranteed to never come about.

I think the reason the theater was empty was that it was noon on a Saturday. I happen to live 2 blocks from the cinema and don't have a TV, which is the only reason I was there at that time.
0 Replies

irisalert

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2016 06:23 am
Mr. Robot, awesome series!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 06:01 pm
A really great movie that we just streamed this afternoon.Eye in the Sky.
Its about rules of engagement in a drone strike. Its a Brit movie so they spend way more time on plot than on special effects. We were blown away. Suspense . Anything beyond what Ive stated would be reveqling too much.
It was Alan Rickman's last movie, Helen Mirin is listed as the star but the enemble made it real .
oralloy

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2016 06:22 am
@farmerman,
I tried to see that in the theaters, but either no place near me carried it, or they had it so briefly that they dropped it before I started looking for it.

I'll have to see if it is on satellite yet.