41

The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

coluber2001

1  
Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2019 02:23 pm
Genius, a biography movie about Thomas Wolfe and his relationship to his editor, Max Perkins.

For me this was an introduction to Thomas wolfe, for I have never read any of his works. I got the idea that Wolfe was eloquently wordy, and Max Perkins, for practical purposes, considered Wolf's writing to be effusively long and in dire need of severe editing. For instance, his second novel, Of Time and the River was cut down from 5,000 pages to a one volume book for publication.

Wolfe was overjoyed at finding a publisher, but greatly resented the excessive editing of his work.

The movie itself was severely reduced in length to 1 hour and 45 minutes, hardly ample time to present a serious biography of a famous writer, however that's the limiting factor of movies. Perhaps, the subject would be more suited for a Masterpiece Theater production, which is able to devote a full series of programs to a biography.

Still, I enjoyed the movie as a glimpse into the life of a famous writer.

Colin Firth portrayed the subdued, fedora-wearing editor Maxwell Perkins and Jude Law portrayed Thomas Wolfe. Nicole Kidman portrayed Mrs Bernstein, Wolfe's needy and carping mistress. In the movie Wolfe spent nearly a hundred percent of his time either writing or editing or in the company of Maxwell Perkins, and that left no time at all or his companion, Mrs Bernstein.

Although this movie provides an adequate glimpse into the life of Thomas Wolfe, I would enjoy a longer, more complete version. Or perhaps I should read some of his works.

InfraBlue

1  
Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2019 03:13 pm
Awkwafina was really good in her supporting role in Crazy Rich Asians.

So, how's The Farewell?

I guess she would have been sued had she gone with "Aquafina" to spell her stage name.

1  
Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2019 08:13 am
@InfraBlue,
Went to see Tarantino's movie. It was really good. Even a dog has a part.

1  
Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2019 11:15 pm
We want to see that movie this coming week. Right this minute I'm watching Aquaman....I'm not entirely sure what is going on, but it's colorful and a little exciting. I will confess that I can't take my eyes off Jason Momoa (she says as she blushes). But on the super plus side, it's free, it has Nicole Kidman, William Dafoe and I'm not sure about anyone else because I've only been watching for 30 minutes.

1  
Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2019 11:34 pm
@glitterbag,
Maybe I was a little hasty.

I was definitely hasty.

1  
Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 09:29 am
farmerman wrote:

I love that dog.

1  
Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 09:31 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

So, how's The Farewell?

It's quite funny and moving. The acting ensemble is great and they have great chemistry. The film is shot beautifully as well.

PS: More people shouldn't eschew the film because it's mostly subtitled (Chinese language speaking family).

1  
Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2019 11:06 pm
I just selected "The Hustle" on Demand......It's a pale imitation of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels..........what a waste of talent.
snood

2  
Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2019 11:23 pm
@glitterbag,
Your movie chooser organ is obviously broken. Robin Hood? The Hustle? Yeesh!