The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

coluber2001

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2019 02:23 pm
Genius, a biography movie about Thomas Wolfe and his relationship to his editor, Max Perkins.

For me this was an introduction to Thomas wolfe, for I have never read any of his works. I got the idea that Wolfe was eloquently wordy, and Max Perkins, for practical purposes, considered Wolf's writing to be effusively long and in dire need of severe editing. For instance, his second novel, Of Time and the River was cut down from 5,000 pages to a one volume book for publication.

Wolfe was overjoyed at finding a publisher, but greatly resented the excessive editing of his work.

The movie itself was severely reduced in length to 1 hour and 45 minutes, hardly ample time to present a serious biography of a famous writer, however that's the limiting factor of movies. Perhaps, the subject would be more suited for a Masterpiece Theater production, which is able to devote a full series of programs to a biography.

Still, I enjoyed the movie as a glimpse into the life of a famous writer.

Colin Firth portrayed the subdued, fedora-wearing editor Maxwell Perkins and Jude Law portrayed Thomas Wolfe. Nicole Kidman portrayed Mrs Bernstein, Wolfe's needy and carping mistress. In the movie Wolfe spent nearly a hundred percent of his time either writing or editing or in the company of Maxwell Perkins, and that left no time at all or his companion, Mrs Bernstein.

Although this movie provides an adequate glimpse into the life of Thomas Wolfe, I would enjoy a longer, more complete version. Or perhaps I should read some of his works.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2019 03:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
Awkwafina was really good in her supporting role in Crazy Rich Asians.

So, how's The Farewell?

I guess she would have been sued had she gone with "Aquafina" to spell her stage name.
farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2019 08:13 am
@InfraBlue,
Went to see Tarantino's movie. It was really good. Even a dog has a part.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2019 11:15 pm
@farmerman,
We want to see that movie this coming week. Right this minute I'm watching Aquaman....I'm not entirely sure what is going on, but it's colorful and a little exciting. I will confess that I can't take my eyes off Jason Momoa (she says as she blushes). But on the super plus side, it's free, it has Nicole Kidman, William Dafoe and I'm not sure about anyone else because I've only been watching for 30 minutes.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2019 11:34 pm
@glitterbag,
Maybe I was a little hasty.

I was definitely hasty.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 09:29 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Went to see Tarantino's movie. It was really good. Even a dog has a part.

I love that dog.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 09:31 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Awkwafina was really good in her supporting role in Crazy Rich Asians.

So, how's The Farewell?

I guess she would have been sued had she gone with "Aquafina" to spell her stage name.

It's quite funny and moving. The acting ensemble is great and they have great chemistry. The film is shot beautifully as well.

PS: More people shouldn't eschew the film because it's mostly subtitled (Chinese language speaking family).
glitterbag

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2019 11:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
I just selected "The Hustle" on Demand......It's a pale imitation of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels..........what a waste of talent.
snood

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2019 11:23 pm
@glitterbag,
Your movie chooser organ is obviously broken. Robin Hood? The Hustle? Yeesh!
glitterbag

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 07:08 pm
@snood,
Hustle was a waste of time, it was a lackluster remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels...tepid, and a waste of Anne Hathaway's talent. My movie chooser is definitely on the skids.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Aug, 2019 06:43 am
@glitterbag,
You should have asked or at least dropped by Rotten Tomatoes. It's a definite Razzie contender come awards season.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2019 10:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
Last night I watched "The Green Mile". I was a little reluctant to see it again, but only because I remembered some of the more gut-wrenching scenes....but I soldiered thru, it's a terrific movie, many fine actors/actresses in the film and it's so engrossing.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 05:18 am
@glitterbag,
I have watched Green Mile three or four times. To me, it's a powerful story, one of King's best.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 06:04 am
@edgarblythe,
Watched Shawshank Redemption last night, I never get tired of of this film.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 07:15 am
@glitterbag,
Being honest, I didn't care for that one.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 09:39 am
Ghost in the Shell - Sci-fi thriller starring Scarlett Johansson.
Good entertainment.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 01:13 am
@snood,
I'll check that one out, I'm a fan of Johansson.
oralloy

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 01:25 am
@glitterbag,
It's best in 3D.

And you'll probably get more out of it if you are passing familiar with the Anime/Manga that is it based on.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 01:36 am
@oralloy,
I don't watch 3D, it triggers migraines....and the Anime/Manga stuff seems to be better suited for children. The genre bores the hell out of me........Oh, I forgot, you enjoy the crap out of that stuff, don't you?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 06:37 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

and the Anime/Manga stuff seems to be better suited for children. The genre bores the hell out of me........Oh, I forgot, you enjoy the crap out of that stuff, don't you?

Good to know that you too can be really really patronizing as well as undereducated about an entire medium/genre loved by millions (and perhaps billions).