The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

maporsche

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2017 10:51 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

maporsche wrote:

Thor: Ragnarok yesterday (and a second viewing this afternoon) = AMAZING.

I want to see it. I'm a little hesitant because I heard they made extra effort to make Thor funny and human. They kind of took that tact with the latest Spider-Man (Homecoming). Wasn't that thrilled with that outcome.

It's definitely funnier. Not as slapstick as Guardians of the Galaxy, but closer to that than the other Thor movies.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2017 11:16 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
Thor: Ragnarok yesterday (and a second viewing this afternoon) = AMAZING.

Did you see it in an IMAX theater?

Did you see it in 3D?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2017 06:39 am
@oralloy,
I saw the Sunday matinee with a coworker. If I was going by myself or someone who actually was a cinephiles, I would have at least seen Thor in 3D.

Considering seeing it again later this month.

Thor was really fun and amazing to watch. Especially the climactic battle.
maporsche

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2017 06:43 am
@oralloy,
Nope. Regular old theater for me.

I don’t particularly enjoy 3D. And while IMAX is very cool, I don’t enjoy crowded theaters either, and those certainly were crowded in Chicago.
oralloy

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2017 02:34 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
Nope. Regular old theater for me.

I'm going to (hopefully) use this movie to test out a 70 foot liemax in my area and see whether 2K projection on a 70 foot screen will be tolerable for Star Wars next month. Some people say the screen door effect isn't nearly as bad if you're wearing 3D glasses.

I'm still catching up on my Thor backstory though. I'll have to wait until next week before I'm caught up enough to go see the current movie.

maporsche wrote:
in Chicago.

Oooh. Lucky. You have a Laser IMAX available to you (Navy Pier).

All we have in Michigan currently are liemaxes.
oralloy

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2017 02:35 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Thor was really fun and amazing to watch. Especially the climactic battle.

Maybe it's a movie that would be good to see in DBOX seats.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2017 08:24 pm
Get Out is on HBOGO.

Watching.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2017 09:50 pm
@Lash,
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)
Frances McDormand is a definite lock for a lead actress Oscar nomination this year.
Builder

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2017 02:17 am
The Proposal (2009) Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFaIf8ej1_o
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2017 02:30 am
@tsarstepan,
Thanks! I may be saved!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2017 02:32 am
@Lash,
I didn’t like it. I’m not sure what I was expecting, but was it trying to be serious/funny?

Parody/message?

Umm/no.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2017 03:56 pm
I was just watching Tig Notaro’s One Mississippi on Netflix, and they are dealing with a Louis CK masturbation storyline at the same time as a character is attempting to understand why his new female interest is bringing universal racist bullshit to his attention.

Smh.

Nice to see this stuff.

Tig said Louis did this to her.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2017 02:57 am
Conair with a slew of talent, but awful direction.

Haven't seen a chase scene that dragged out since forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzg3ND-ITjU
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 09:32 am
@oralloy,
Thor: Ragnarok, liemax 3D
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2017 05:35 pm
Murder on the Orient Express

I liked it, but to me the real Hercule Poirot will always be David Suchet.

And no, I haven't been suspended. I was busy for a couple days. And then it was so nice not listening to political whining that I just couldn't bring myself to dive back in the politics threads. I'll probably reenter the fray after a few more days. Maybe.
Lash

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2017 07:05 am
@oralloy,
You saw the Branagh version already?? I was a little jazzed about that.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2017 07:33 am
@Lash,
Busy film going week that's not quite over:

Thanksgiving Day:
Coco (2017) , 9/10. Might have to see this one again in the movie theaters but in 3D next time.

Yesterday:
Lady Bird (2017), 9/10. Looking for screenplay and two acting nominations during Oscar season for this one.

Later that day:
Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story (2017 DOCUMENTARY): 8/10. Great to see the director and the producer (sister and brother team) at the Q and A for this one.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2017 01:57 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
You saw the Branagh version already??

Yes. It was certainly OK. But as I said, to me the real Hercule Poirot will always be David Suchet.

This was one of the trailers before the movie. Although I don't think it's a horror movie, the idea of it still made my hair stand up on end.

Permanent and irreversible. What could possibly go wrong.....

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 10:59 pm
Went to see the Russian language drama, Loveless (2017) on the strength of its director, Andrey Zvyagintsev, the director of 2014's Oscar nominated black comedy, Leviathan, a top film favorite film from that year.

His latest pulls no emotional punches between the two lead characters who are in the midst of a contentious separation/divorce only to have their 12 year old son disappear altogether. Great acting and stunning cinematography. The film is also scored like an existential horror film which only makes the film even more emotionally draining. A 9/10.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2017 04:37 pm
Went to see 'Roman J. Israel, Esq.' yesterday. Denzel was great in the role as quirky throwback lawyer with a nondescript autism-like condition, trying to navigate his job, a love, and life in general. But the movie drags terribly, and even for someone like me who favors good character-driven drama over gratuitous action, it was a strain to stay interested throughout.