What are the best films you have seen this year? Why did you like them so much?

dlowan

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 01:53 am
Again, pretty straightforward...

Doesn't have to have been MADE in 2008.

Any genre.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 96 • Views: 83,257 • Replies: 423
Topic Closed

Robert Gentel

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 10:39 am
@dlowan,
I haven't seen many this year, so it's not tough to be at the top of my list. My favorite so far has been The Dark Knight, but a lot of that has to do with me wanting it to break Titanic's record, since I hate that movie.
DrewDad

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 10:51 am
@dlowan,
Dark Knight and Ironman were both really good.

I rented I am Legend and was disappointed.

Next weekend, Shaun of the Dead.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 10:57 am
I loved WallE. It's a charming adult fable told with humor and truth. Make sure to stay for ending credits, it's a whole little short movie unto itself.
wandeljw

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:02 am
@dlowan,
I liked The Dark Knight much more than I should have. Much of the fun for me was seeing a lot of Chicago locations that I am very familiar with.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:02 am
@Green Witch,
Yah. That was good for adults as well as kiddos.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:03 am
@dlowan,
Was also disappointed in Hancock.
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:24 am
I would have to say the best movie I've seen so far is "Juno". I also loved "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story" and "21". I have high hopes for "Step Brothers" and "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", but I am waiting for them to come to Netflix.
Nick Ashley

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:39 am
@Nick Ashley,
Just noticed I didn't answer the second part of the question.

Juno - This was so original, I smiled the whole way through it. It was not at all what I expected (having the kid from superbad in it, I was expecting more of a 'superbad' type of movie). However, it was really funny, in a new way.

Walk Hard - I had very low expectations for this one. However it turned out to be a great movie, with a ton of good one-liners that I will quote for years to come. I didn't think John C. Riley would be strong enough to be the lead character, and I was dead wrong. I went in thinking "Why isn't the lead played by Will Ferrel" and left thinking that Will Ferrel didn't need to be in it.

21 - I'd heard of the story long before (based on true events). It was glamorized and 'hollywood-ized' very well in my opinion. After watching it, I went to wikipedia to see what was true and what wasn't. I like movies that make me do that.

As for what Step Brothers and Forgetting Sarah Marshall, they have been highly recommended to me. I actually might have just been convinced to pay the money to see Step Brothers in the theater this week. I haven't been to a theater since Superbad was released.
0 Replies

Izzie

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:46 am
Don't really watch TV etc but...

earlier this year I saw "The Guardian"....

just because... it was a good film (fab actors too Rolling Eyes )

Proabably not too thought provoking for most..... but when I saw the coastguard diver in the NO canal yesterday attempting to stop the barge smashing into the levees.... kinda made me think of that movie again.
0 Replies

mac11

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 12:43 pm
@dlowan,
I haven't seen Dark Knight yet - or a few others mentioned here.

My favorite film so far this year was Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. Wonderful acting and script. My kind of movie.
0 Replies

dlowan

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 03:51 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Titanic-hater wrote:
but a lot of that has to do with me wanting it to break Titanic's record, since I hate that movie.

That's gotta be one of the more unusual reasons for liking a film!

I haven't seen Dark Knight. Sounds like a few people like it, though, (and some not even because they hate Titanic.)

DD, I haven't heard of Ironman???????? Or Hancock???

Greenwitch.....I have a bit of a yen to see WallE...but I suspect I'll have top go on my own, because I can't imagine who would come with me.

Nick...I loved Juno..haven't heard of the others. Walk Hard sounds interesting, though.

Izzie...The Guardian???? Tell me a bit about it?

Mac, I've not heard of Miss Pettigrew...could you expand a bit?

Izzie

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 04:29 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Izzie...The Guardian???? Tell me a bit about it?

The Guardian is a 2006 film starring Kevin Costner, Ashton Kutcher, and Melissa Sagemiller that was released on September 29, 2006. The film was directed by Andrew Davis. The setting for the film is the United States Coast Guard and their Aviation Survival Technician (AST) program. It is inspired by the 2004 Japanese summer blockbuster film "Umizaru" (Sea Monkeys) and later 2005 TV drama series "Umizaru Evolution", which were based on a Japanese manga of the same name about the rescue diver trainees with Japan Coast Guard.

The plot follows Senior Chief Petty Officer Ben Randall (Kevin Costner) and Jake Fischer (Ashton Kutcher) at the United States Coast Guard's Aviation Survival Technician (AST) Program. Ben Randall is the top rescue swimmer who continues to work against regulation past the age of 40. Jake Fischer is a hot-shot candidate for AST who was ranked as a top competitive swimmer in high school.

The movie title is introduced by a mythic tale: People lost at sea often claim they feel a presence lifting them to the surface, breathing life into their bodies while they are waiting for help to arrive. They call this presence "The Guardian."

The Title Song.... Never Let Go

Coastguard, Firefighters, Forces... kinda makes me think about all of them and what they do.
dlowan

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 04:34 pm
@Izzie,
Quote:
People lost at sea often claim they feel a presence lifting them to the surface, breathing life into their bodies while they are waiting for help to arrive. They call this presence "The Guardian."

Thanks, Izzie.

I wonder if that is true?

It would fit with endorphin release and all....
dlowan

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 04:38 pm
@dlowan,
I've been thinking of my own favourites....one that comes up is "Eastern Promises"...just because of how riveting the the performances are...though there is no way I could watch the fight scene.
0 Replies

Izzie

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 04:39 pm
@dlowan,
I'd like to think it was true.... you know - just when you're ready to give up, you hear a little voice telling you not to let go.... I'd like to believe that would happen..... who knows a?
0 Replies

caribou

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 06:51 pm
An Unfinished Life, 2005
"When her husband dies, Jean Gilkyson (Jennifer Lopez) moves herself and her daughter, Griff (Becca Gardner), into the Wyoming home of her estranged father-in-law, steely rancher Einar (Robert Redford), even though they don't get along. Buried in grief, Einar can't get over the death of his only son, while Jean struggles to make sense of her new life. Over time, though, the two learn to move on through the power of forgiveness."

Okay, that sounds hokey... and I don't like J-lo either.
But I LOVE Morgan Freeman (yes, he's in it, I don't know why they don't mention him). Freeman and Redford are great together. And the young girl, Becca Gardner, was amazing.
I liked this movie so much, I made my man watch it with me the second time. (He liked it too, but maybe not as much as me.)
J-lo wasn't that bad either.
And it's beautifully filmed.
And it has a bear in it.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 07:22 pm
Hotel Rwanda. A true story. Schindler's List in Africa, without the sentimentality. Also a denunciation of Western hypocrisy.

The Dark Night. Best Batman film. The crazies take over and Batman is unmasked as one of them. I liked it even better than Titanic. Wink

High Noon. A classic I was missing. Not anymore. Fun, thrilling and somehow telling you how mankind does not change.

---

Not strictly a film, but the best I've seen this year on DVD is Rome, the TV series.
dlowan

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 07:40 pm
@fbaezer,
I've been a bit wussy to see Hotel Rwanda...you've convinced me.

Ok, ok Dark Knight is ok already!

High Noon...cool...haven't seen it for years.

Any really good films from your continent, Fbaezer?
fbaezer

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 07:52 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Any really good films from your continent, Fbaezer?

I think both The Dark Knight and High Noon were made in the American continent.

If you're asking about Latin America, last good flic I saw (think it was last year) is "Morirse está en Hebreo", a comedy about Jews in Mexico.