The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

coluber2001

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2017 08:55 pm
"Elmer Gantry " from a novel by Sinclair Lewis. It was on broadcast tv no less. A great 4 star movie starring Burt Lancaster in a stellar performance. It's about revivalists with the title character, a down and out conman/showman/salesmcan tea
ming up with a true believer.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 01:27 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
But I love the absurdity of Mel Brooks humor.

The KKK with have a nice day smiley faces on their backs made me giggle.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 11:32 am
@izzythepush,
i forgot about that, it does make me giggle. And Mel Brooks on horseback wearing native american head dress, using Yiddish expressions, priceless.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 12:44 pm
@glitterbag,
And Hedley Lamarr silently mouthing, 'What the ****?'
farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 02:42 pm
@izzythepush,
It works until toward the end where its all revealed as a movie lot. That never hung together, even for Mel Brooks
glitterbag

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2017 04:30 am
@farmerman,
I will forgive Mel Brooks anything because he packs so much fun in every movie. Tonight on TCM the had Young Frankenstein, I only caught the end but love that movie as well. Remember Frau Blucker?? The horses would whinny every time her name was mentioned. In lesser hands that would be tedious, but in this film I wait for them and laugh every time.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2017 10:01 pm
Tagged along with my BFFs as they went to see Lion (2016), a second time for me in the movie theater.

Wished Dev Patel won his acting category Oscar.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2017 11:44 pm
@glitterbag,
I love lots of Brooks' stuff. I don't like all of his movies - Spaceballs, for instance - but he made up for it with the good ones.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 01:19 am
@edgarblythe,
Yeah, I can't say I liked Spaceballs either. But I loved 'Silent Movie', although I may be in the minority. Sometimes I was the only person in the theater that laughed out loud. The graffiti in the executive washroom I thought was funny, I can't remember all the graffiti but I do remember seeing 'Poverty Sucks'. It was just the absurd nature of the sight gags that made me laugh.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 06:07 am
@glitterbag,
I liked Silent Movie too, I think his good stuff heavily outweighs the odd turkey.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 05:14 pm
haven't seen them yet but ... have tickets to 5 of 7 films in this series

http://www.hotdocscinema.ca/responsive/content/ban_this_series

Quote:
Living under a 24-hour news cycle, it can be difficult to remember that every human on earth shares the same intensity of feeling—that each person has a life they care about as much as we care about ours. Often lost in the sprawling news events of our day is the incredible, overwhelming fact that there are people on the ground, behaving as we would behave, indeed being “us” in a different circumstance.

How do we remember? At Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema, we look to art.

There’s a moment we’re trying to capture: friends mugging for the camera (The War Show), frustration at not being able to fund an important project (Libya in Motion), a teenaged girl wishing her parents were Michael Jackson and Rihanna (Sonita). The moment is when we recognize ourselves in someone else, when we see they are as deserving of love and protection as the people in our lives.

Here at Hot Docs, we are immigrants, we are the children of immigrants, we are the grandchildren of immigrants. And beyond. We know how crucial it has been that others have seen our humanity in the past, and we honour the richness of experience that pulls us all together.

In Ban This Series, we present a documentary from each nation whose citizens were denied entry into the U.S. due to a presidential executive order issued on January 27, 2017. By amplifying their stories, we celebrate the humanity and strength in each one of us.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 05:15 pm
@ehBeth,
first up tomorrow will be Libya in Motion

Quote:
BAN THIS SERIES: LIBYA IN MOTION
North American Premiere
Ban This Series: Documentaries from the seven countries included in the travel ban enacted by executive order on January 27, 2017.

From Tripoli to Benghazi, meet a grandmother sowing the national flag with relish, a young woman determined to become a film director, a fisherman philosopher, illegal migrants caught in limbo in a detention centre, a group of young filmmakers trying to fund their fiction film and many more. Made up of 13 short docs, Libya in Motion is an on-the-ground peek into the day-to-day resilience of those living in post-revolution Libya. Shot over the course of several years, the filmmakers chart the immediate wake of the civil war up to 2015, revealing remarkable stories of courage, recovery and struggle.

One of the short film directors Naziha Arebi will participate in a post-screening Skype Q&A.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2017 06:01 pm
@ehBeth,
Watched a short film, I've been looking for a relatively long time. Praise Netflix DVD service (that's something everyone assumed was a dead thing).

Garden of Words (2013)
One of the most underrated directors working today. Makoto Shinkai makes visually stunning animated films that for me, are the most romantic films of all time.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2017 06:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Watched a short film, I've been looking for a relatively long time. Praise Netflix DVD service (that's something everyone assumed was a dead thing).

Garden of Words (2013)
One of the most underrated directors working today. Makoto
Shinkai
makes visually stunning animated films that for me, are the most romantic films of all time.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2017 06:29 pm
Libya in Motion was fantastic. Easy to see why it was a multiple award-winner

https://www.scottishdocinstitute.com/films/libya-in-motion/

The second film yesterday, The Reluctant Revolutionary was terrific doc work, but so hard to watch.

http://seanmcallister.com/reviews/the-reluctant-revolutionary/

Quote:
McAllister has achieved something incredible here. The Reluctant Revolutionary is a stunningly humane portrait that shows vividly what’s at stake before leaving it bloody on the Formica floor of a battered concrete building. Fifty-two people died that day. The movement grew, Saleh left his office months later, but things are still burning in Yemen. This doc is the kind of Pulitzer Prize-winning work that boldly and at great risk to personal safety showcases how powerful media can be. It’s entertaining, yes, but it’s also film as indictment. Film as evidence. Film as historical document.

three more films tomorrow
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2017 01:23 am
@ehBeth,
Over here the late Ted Rogers is known for hosting the most confusing quiz show in history.

http://www.memorabletv.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/ted-rogers-321.jpg
glitterbag

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 12:41 pm
@izzythepush,
Last night I found a viewing of "Death Wish" while I trolled the channels. I know they are dreadful but I enjoy the revenge factor in Bronson films. The bad guys are uber bad and the good guys are either bad or ineffective. I caught a glimpse of Jeff Goldblum in one of those flicks. He played a "juvenile delinquent" in a gang of street thugs. It was hard to take Goldblum seriously as a JD,
ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 12:55 pm
Sonita

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5278928/

Sonita is currently at music school in Utah. Her Iranian music teacher was at the Q&A at the cinema last night.

___

The War Show

http://www.euronews.com/2016/09/06/the-war-show-a-video-diary-of-the-syrian-conflict

Quote:
Syrian filmmaker and writer Marcelle Aleid participated in a post-screening discussion hosted by Harvard Seal Documentary Film Club.

___

http://www.pbs.org/pov/beatsoftheantonov/

http://www.pbs.org/pov/beatsoftheantonov/film-description/

Quote:
Ultimately, many of the people in the film say that the war is about the soul of Sudan. The government “utilizes a ‘divide and rule’ policy,” says Ibrahim Khatir, an SPLA officer. “It categorizes Sudanese citizens along racial and ethnic lines, breaking them into Arabs and Blacks.” Arab identity is strongly promoted by the ruling National Congress Party, and African local languages and traditions are being lost in the process. “If we don’t answer the question of Sudanese identity the war will continue,” Seif Alislam says. Meanwhile, the people of the Blue Nile and Nuba Mountains continue singing and dancing, the beats in their music expressing their heritage both as Africans and as Sudanese.

“Watch this film with an open heart,” says kuka. “Despite years of adversity, the Sudanese people have retained — and even developed further — a signature strength and resilience and even joy. That is who we are, and that’s the main message of my film.”

all of the films were amazing in different ways
thought-provoking
enriching

If I could recommend only one it would be Beats of the Antonov. Total message of wtf - why do people go to war?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 02:13 pm
@glitterbag,
I've seen that, but I don't think he's credited on the film as it was so minor.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 02:19 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I've seen that, but I don't think he's credited on the film as it was so minor.

Ye of little faith in the eyes of movie trivia fanatics.
https://i.imgur.com/B45Aa15.jpg
Jeff Goldblum, IMDb page