The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2022 09:33 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Not a Ryan Reynolds fan, but his recent Netflix Sci-Fi movie The Adam Project was pretty entertaining, if you haven't seen it.

I'll take a look, Snood.

We just got Netflix a few months back...and they have lots of very good stuff.
0 Replies

sirdk

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2022 02:23 pm
@snood,
its really worth watching? I heard only bad about it
snood

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2022 02:32 pm
@sirdk,
Well as I said, I don’t even particularly like Ryan Reynolds, but I thought it was a good action/sci-fi movie.
coluber2001

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2023 03:04 pm
@snood,
Kill Your Darlings. (2013)

The movie examines the advent of the beat movement at Columbia University. Allen Ginsberg, Lucian Carr, William Burroughs, and Jack Kerouac are portrayed using their real names.

I've only watched it halfway so far, and it is intriguing. I know that Lucian Carr ends up killing his ex-lover David Kammerer, which happened in real life. Lucien Carr is played by Dane DeHaan, who has an eerie resemblance to the original person.

Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) plays the gay Alan Ginsburg. Radcliff has made a successful transition from a child actor to a mature actor. I've recently watched Radcliffe in another movie, Victor Frankenstein, in which he plays the assistant Igor, who turns out to be a genius. Radcliffe, who has an interesting, expressive face, should have a very successful movie career.

https://media2.fdncms.com/rochester/imager/dane-dehaan-and-daniel-radcliffe-in-kill-your-darlings/u/zoom/2299035/movie_review2-1.jpg
Dane DeHaan as Lucian Carr and Daniel Radcliffe as Allen ginsburg.
coluber2001

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2023 11:46 am
@coluber2001,
I finished the movie Kill Your Darlings. Lucien Carr stabs David Kammerer several times with a pocket knife, then put stones in his pockets and drags him into a pond to drown. He serves 18 months in a reformatory for voluntary manslaughter claiming Kammerer was a homosexual and sexual predator.

Jack Kerouac gets in trouble for helping him hide the knife, but is not prosecuted. He later writes On the Road and other stream of consciousness novels.

Allen Ginsburg gets booted out of Columbia University for refusing to withdraw his final about the incident. He becomes a famous poet.

William Burroughs was not involved in the incident, but he later writes a novel about it. He later plays William Tell with his wife, putting an apple on her head and attempts to shoot the apple with a gun. His aim was several inches low. This was not in the movie as it happened years later.

These events were a rather inauspicious beginning of the beat movement in the 1940s, and the later literary works were somewhat influential to the social revolution that occurred in the 60s.
sitok

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2023 04:16 pm
@coluber2001,
I saw the gray man, an action movie that I enjoyed.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2023 12:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
It's almost like you know what you're talking about. Impressive.

tsarstepan wrote:

If you want something batshit crazy and hysterical?

Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022), 9/10. This one needs to be in the running for the following Oscars in Lead Actress for Michelle Yeoh, Editing, and Best Original Screenplay.

But you'll have to catch it in the movie theaters as it ain't streaming anywhere legal. Definitely worth the trip to the cinema.

0 Replies

goingoncegoingtwice

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2023 04:31 am
Just saw Shazam 2 on HBO Max, I give it a 7/10, it's an OK effort overall
0 Replies

bassthethirdmanwater

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2023 12:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh, that's a good question! I recently watched the movie Mulan on Disney+, and I would definitely recommend it! Although I usually prefer movie theaters, I've been finding some really great content on streaming services lately.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2023 08:40 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

I'm rewatching Mr Selfridge, a Masterpiece Theater series about the Selfridge department store in London, a revolutionary store at the time. This is much more interesting than it would seem because of the amazing personality of the titular character.

It's available free on Amazon's Freevee app.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0108/5220/4608/products/134567_ae1e5f22-0eb8-4790-a990-e1b1fceba0aa_1024x1024.jpg?v=1544752781

I loved 'Mr. Selfridge'........loved, loved it.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2023 08:51 pm
We saw 'Oppenheimer" tonight, I liked the first part but I really loved the second half. A little nerve-jangling but a fascinating retelling of our history. I wonder if the Gov of Florida will allow this to play in Florida?
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2023 10:42 pm
Seen for the first time? No movie recently, but season one of "The Last of Us."
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2023 08:32 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

We saw 'Oppenheimer" tonight, I liked the first part but I really loved the second half. A little nerve-jangling but a fascinating retelling of our history. I wonder if the Gov of Florida will allow this to play in Florida?

Seeing it tonight after work.
coluber2001

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2023 11:54 am
@tsarstepan,
Atypical is a series on Netflix that centers are on a family with an autistic high schooler. This gives as realistic a depiction of autism as Life Goes On did for Down's syndrome. And the writing is excellent.

https://d2eehagpk5cl65.cloudfront.net/img/q60/uploads/assets/mc/2017_08/Atypical_856x642.jpg
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2023 12:21 am
@tsarstepan,
What did you think of Oppenheimer???
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2023 10:38 pm
@glitterbag,
To the best of my knowledge, my governor, DeSantis, has never censored anything anywhere, and it would probably be illegal anyway. He has declined to have the state place some books in school libraries, and sponsored some legislation about school curricula, but to my knowledge has never censored anyone or anything. Do you have a counter-example?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2023 01:22 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, my governor, DeSantis,

Has the sweetest butt hole ever.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2023 12:14 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

He has declined to have the state place some books in school libraries, and sponsored some legislation about school curricula,?

Ya know. The LITERAL definition of censorship.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2023 12:24 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

What did you think of Oppenheimer???

Easily, one of the best movies this year. The movie to beat this coming Oscar season.

Cillian Murphy has given the best performance of the year so far.

Think multiple acting nominations across the board. As well an adapted screenplay, editing, cinematography, direction, etc....

Noticed that you hadn't liked the score. I loved it. Wondering if you were effected by the Nolan style of sound mixing. That's a well known issue with the director. He tends to drown out some of his film's dialogue by a film's score and general sounds from a given scene.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2023 07:14 pm
@tsarstepan,
As far as the score, for me the quiet thought-provoking parts were clouded by syrupy old soap-opera music. As far as the sound mixing, it was irritating when the music drowned out the dialogue and mr. glitterbag has menieres syndrome which totaled out the hearing in his left ear so he was reading lips like crazy. I won't say all the music was bad, for me it was too syrupy in some spots and too loud at some points. But overall, I loved the movie, great performances by a lot of talented actors.