The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2023 10:33 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

he was reading lips like crazy.

For future reference? Try seeking out movie screenings with OPEN CAPTIONS listed with the movie title/movie time. They're like closed captions on TV but the dialogue and sound descriptors are on the bottom of the movie screen. I accidentally stumbled onto them a couple of years ago. They're coming more prevalent these days.

If they're not in your regional movie theaters? DEMAND THEM.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2023 08:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
That's really good idea, I'll look into that. The audience was small that night and it was entirely a group of old folks, really old folks. They probably grew up listening to WWII stories from their parents (like I did) but I suspect most of them were born while the war was still going on.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2023 03:43 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

That's really good idea, I'll look into that. The audience was small that night and it was entirely a group of old folks, really old folks. They probably grew up listening to WWII stories from their parents (like I did) but I suspect most of them were born while the war was still going on.

Yeah, we old guys have that war etched into our minds. I remember it...the blackouts, the cars with the top half their headlights painted black, the occasional "air raid warning" sirens. My father with his white helmet was an air raid warden for our block. The savings bonds...the nickel and dime savings coupons, the rationing coupons. The star flags in windows showing someone from that house had died in Europe or Asia.

I especially remember the war ending...the VE day especially...but also VJ day. The bomb on Nagasaki was dropped on my birthday.

izzythepush

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2023 04:28 am
@Frank Apisa,
I remember the bomb crater in the woods.

The war had been over for 17 years when I was born but I still remember seeing bomb damage growing up as a kid in the 60s.
coluber2001

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2023 11:08 am
@oralloy,
Keep the Change

It's about two people with autism played by people with actual autism. One of the best movies I've seen recently.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2023 11:04 pm
@izzythepush,
I think I was probably in my thirties before I realized how long rationing went on in England. I remember the American men coming home trying to get jobs. Our Milk Delivery Man had speech problems and a few other problems after being held prisoner by the North Koreans. (and YES I do know the difference between Korea and World War 11)

Earlier today, I attended my last living Aunt's funeral in Washington State. The day she was born in Baltimore, Hitler invaded Poland.....I doubt that gave them a sense of peace for the future. All the cousins, nephews and sons and neighbors signed up to serve, I don't think I'll ever forget the terrible stories I heard from the adult survivors

I know this has nothing to do with War Fare, it's just the verbal news parents and other relative tell you when they can think about it. (Nobody really wants to think about what happened, but we should never forget)
izzythepush

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2023 12:08 am
@glitterbag,
Bothmy late wife and I were told off by our mothers for wishing we could have another war.

They both said something like,"How could you want something like that," after both telling tales of what a great time they had during the war.

They made it sound such fun.
0 Replies

Yalow

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2023 05:29 pm
The Creator. Action, science-fiction, and a beautiful love story. And the main character is black!
coluber2001

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2023 10:29 am
@Yalow,
December Boys {2007)

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8LRm0yUm5LI/TmucYspcKAI/AAAAAAAAALY/NCDFF5agVnc/s640/600full-december-boys-poster.jpg
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2023 02:52 pm
The Young and Prodigious T. S. Spivet

This is one of my favorite movies I've recently streamed. It probably missed the attention of most people because it's not a blockbuster, but it's worthwhile watching it if you can find it.

T. S.--Tecumseh Sparrow-- is a 10-year-old prodigy living on a ranch in Montana. He's got a fraternal twin brother and an older sister. His father is a rancher and his mother is an entomologist played by Helena Bonham Carter. She's the only actor I've heard of in this movie, and I know her from the Harry Potter films where she played the evil Bellatrix Lestrange.

T. S. Is a genius who invents a perpetual machine, a wheel that's propelled by magnets. He modestly adds that it's not really perpetual because the magnets have to be recharged every 400 years.

His twin brother is killed playing with guns and T. S. Feels responsible but talking about the death in the family becomes a taboo subject, and T. S. Feels ignored by the family.

T. S. sends the design for his perpetual machine to the Smithsonian Institution. He wins The Baird Award and is invited to Washington DC to give a speech and receive the award.

T. S. packs a huge suitcase filled with superfluous objects and hops a freight toward Washington. He gets to the the Chicago freight yard and escapes the clutches of the Railroad yard bull and hitchhikes on a tanker truck with a friendly driver who drops him off right at the doorsteps of the Smithsonian institution.

The movie is fairy tale-like, but it's not sappy like a Walt Disney movie would be, and it does elicit some feelings for the character. It's one of the few movies I've ever watched involving freight hopping, a subject I've always been interested in. All in all, the movie leaves you with a good feeling, so check it out.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2023 10:21 am
The Good Doctor, TV series

I don't know if Dr Shaun Murphy is the person whom the title refers to, but let's say it is.

Dr Shaun Murphy is a young savant doctor with autism and one of the protagonists in the series The Good Doctor.

I haven't watched a hospital show in 40 or 50 years. I gave up on hospital shows, doctor shows, lawyer shows, cop shows, and most private eye shows many years ago. Usually they are only interesting because of the eccentric personality of the eponymous character, such as Monk, Rockford, etc.

That's why I started watching the Good Doctor, namely because one of the major protagonists is a person with autism. I don't know why that would interest me, but it does.

The Good Doctor, Shaun Murphy has autism, and it is wonderfully portrayed. The other characters aren't nearly as interesting and I really don't care about them, leastways not enough to watch the show without the autistic character.

The hospital show is a typical hospital show with the disease of the week and whether they will cure the patient or not. The show seems to touch all bases and all diseases and conditions and is dramatic in that endeavor. However, they seem to avoid the most important issue concerning healthcare in this country, money and whether the patient can pay it.

Here's an imaginary scenario that hits the spot: "Mrs Averagejoe, it has taken us 2 weeks to diagnose your condition, and under the savant leadership of Sean Murphy we have come up with an operation that will cure the disease with which you are encumbered. You have a very rare disease called Chrono Synclastic Spazbutt Disease. Only four people in the history of the world have been diagnosed with this disease, but with an operation you can fully recover in 2 weeks, otherwise you will die an agonizing death within 2 months . We have scheduled the operation for next Monday. The fee is $500,000 payable in cash or credit card."

"You can't?"

"We're sorry. We can arrange a free wheelchair ride back to your car. Have a nice day."
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2024 04:09 am
I saw Saltburn the other day.

I enjoyed it, what was interesting was how I felt about the victims.

They weren't terribly bad people, but because of their fabulous wealth I really didn't give a **** about them.

That's what the director was going for.

I don't think it's envy, but outrage.

People don't envy such a lifestyle but find it outrageous when there is such a class divide.

I'm sure most people want to be a bit better off, but there's limits to how much better off we'd want to be.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2024 10:03 pm
@izzythepush,
I have a movie to add....it will have to be tomorrow because I'm tired and a little brain dead.
0 Replies