When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

Thu 23 Apr, 2015 10:10 pm
The growing list of financial scandals, coverups for past misdeeds and major errors and misdeeds in public office that are following her ; the resulting rising public reaction against her; and her all-too-evident tin ear and proclivity to self-serving and awkward misstatements all suggest to me that Hillary Clinton's candidacy may be headed for a sudden collapse. She certainly still dominates the field of potential Denocrat candidates. However increasingly polling data indicate steadily declining support; formerly friendly media centers (like the NY Times) are reporting adverse materials about her; and potential competitors in the Democrat Party are becoming more assertive, with some even criticizing the formerly untouchable front runner. All of this appears to be gathering momentum fairly quickly

How much time will pass before growing numbers of Democrat power brokers panic and realize they have little time left to develop a replacement strong candidate? (in Politics everyone loves a perceived winner, but is quick to flee from a damaged contender. This is an element that could cause Hillary's remaining support, though still strong, to suddenly collapse. This is a prospect that, in my eyes, had only a faint likelihood just a few weeks ago, Increasingly it seems much more likely to me. Worse for her, Hillary is at best an awkward campaigner, and beset as she is by a growing criticism, even worse in dealing with such attacks - a very bad combination for her in the present circumstances.

We are eighteen months from the Presidential election and the state primaries won't start for eight months or so. That's a long time to stand in a gathering storm, such as is surrounding around Hilkary now.

It's also enough time for analogous surprises and reverses to hit any of her competing Democrat and Republican candidates as well. The future remains unknowable, but Hillary increasingly looks like badly damaged political goods to me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 80 • Views: 347,712 • Replies: 10,074
Topic Closed

jespah

Fri 24 Apr, 2015 05:54 am
My crystal ball says November 2, 2016.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Fri 24 Apr, 2015 06:09 am
@georgeob1,
Considering the number or Republican stalwarts offering advice to their Dem friends on how to obtain a better candidate than Hillary...so as to maximize the Dem's chances of retaining the Oval Office...

...I respectfully suggest she won't.

I was hoping she wouldn't run...because I like her and hate the thought of what she will go through at the hands of America's bat-**** crazy right, but she has decided to run. And if she is chosen to lead the Dem ticket...in my opinion, she will win.

I thank you, and all the others, for warning those of us who favor her...of the terrible mistake we are making. We realize you have the interests of progressive America in mind. We realize you mean for us to choose a candidate who will be more likely to beat your guy.

(In the interests of truth and in consideration of the intellectual limitations of many of the conservatives reading this...some of the above was said with a heavy dose of sarcasm!)
woiyo

Fri 24 Apr, 2015 07:27 am
@Frank Apisa,
Well of course you like her. Based upon the crooks and hypocrites you voted for in NJ, she fits right in given her track record. How Christie ever got voted in remains a miracle to me. Apparently there are a few NJ voters with some degree of common sense.,
Frank Apisa

Fri 24 Apr, 2015 07:42 am
@woiyo,
One...I never voted for Christie...nor would I ever.

Two...accusing New Jersey politicians of being crooks and hypocrites is like saying that New Jersey politicians are not especially different from the politicians of other states.

Being self-serving goes with being a politician, Woiyo.

In fact, being self-serving goes with being a human being!

American politicians are not significantly different from the general population of humans in serving themselves to the highest degree possible. It's just that they have a better chance at the goodies.

And plenty of New Jersey voters have common sense. In fact, since we are a blue state, it stands to reason that a majority of us do.
georgeob1

Fri 24 Apr, 2015 06:35 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I'll agree Frank that Hillary has, by a wide margin, long looked like the Democrat's best option for capturing the White House in 2016. However, her former inevitability and invincability appear to be eroding very fast. I believe that is an observable fact. Moreover those attributes, once punctured, very often collapse quickly in the world of democratic politics.

There's a lot of time remaining before even the primaries begin and a lot, both good and bad, can happen in the time remaining.

I do take some pleasure in this because I have long opposed the opportunism of the Clintons and my perceptions of Hillary's character and ability don't give me any reason to want to see her in power. However I have as much a right to these political opions of mine as have you of yours. The fact that, without Clinton, the Democrats appear now to have much reduced chances of success in 2016 doesn't in any way diminish or discredit the opposition of many people to her increasingly evident corruption, deceit and ineptitude.
Frank Apisa

Sat 25 Apr, 2015 06:01 am
@georgeob1,
We'll see.

Whoever becomes the Dem candidate...if he/she wins...will undoubtedly, in my opinion, be a better choice than anyone the Republicans are considering right now.

I think the US and the world loses if a Republican wins.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sat 25 Apr, 2015 10:29 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, I agree with all of the propositions in you post - except the last one.

I wouldn't vote for Christrie either.

I'll agree that degrees of deceit and hypocricy are indeed widespread characteristics of politicians elsewhere, but do suspect that New Jersey politics has been just a little bit more gifted in both areas than others. Indeed the best thing in my view one can say about Christie is that he has been somewhat less stupid (Corzine) self serving (McGreevy), and deceitful (both) than his predecessors.

I agree that self-serving behavior is a trait we all share, and that the defects of our elected politicians generally arise from ourselves.

Not so sure about the superior common sense of New Jersey, though I'll agree they are no worse than the rest of us.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Sat 25 Apr, 2015 02:40 pm
@georgeob1,
I love the fact that all you republicans have been attacking Hillery for 25 years. I firmly believe that by the time the election rolls around it will become apparent that the constant attacks are purely political. Most of the democrat politicians have the backbone of an octopus and its no surprise that they fear the constant republican attacks but they dont elect the person running for office the people do both in the primary and the presidential election. So you guys keep on chanting Benghazi, Benghazi, and the stupidest citizen in the U S will see the hypocrisy of the Republican politicians and fox news and will for sure elect her. Keep up the good work for Hillery.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 26 Apr, 2015 11:54 pm
@georgeob1,
I don't think it will matter. After the 2013 gun control debacle, I expect 2016 to be an easy Republican victory.

Hillary can give concession speeches just as well as anyone else. Might as well let her be the one to concede.
Frank Apisa

Mon 27 Apr, 2015 03:16 am
@oralloy,
I think most Dem's are delighted that there are many on the other side who see 2016 as an easy Republican victory. Nothing helps like having the other side underestimate a contest.

Perhaps I am doing it also, because I think Hillary will kick butt on ANYONE in the Republican arsenal...which mostly is a collection of duds!

We'll see next November.

revelette2

Mon 27 Apr, 2015 05:50 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
However increasingly polling data indicate steadily declining support

I've been of late keeping up with the polls on realclearpolitics and I see no evidence of declining support despite the overhyped scandals and negative reporting.

realclearpolitics
parados

Tue 28 Apr, 2015 12:56 pm
@revelette2,
My God revelette, the latest polls show Clinton only leading by 6-8 points over every GOP challenger. Don't you see how that means she will not win the WH. Just look how Obama's lead of 2 points in the polls meant he lost badly the last election. You need to read Karl Rove's white board more closely.
revelette2

Wed 29 Apr, 2015 07:49 am
@parados,
I don't know if they live in such a closed circle of information which makes them deluded or if they just say these things in the hopes of saying it often will make it true.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 30 Apr, 2015 01:48 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
I think most Dem's are delighted that there are many on the other side who see 2016 as an easy Republican victory. Nothing helps like having the other side underestimate a contest.

Perhaps I am doing it also, because I think Hillary will kick butt on ANYONE in the Republican arsenal...which mostly is a collection of duds!

We'll see next November.

Don't forget the impact of the 2013 gun control debacle. Instead of getting legislation passed like he was supposed to be doing, Mr. Obama wasted all of his political capital making futile attacks against the indomitable might of the NRA.

When 2016 rolls around, it'll have been a long six years since he's gotten any of his legislation passed through Congress. That's going to make an easy White House victory for Republicans.
Frank Apisa

Thu 30 Apr, 2015 05:16 am
@oralloy,
Like I said...we'll see.
0 Replies

parados

Thu 30 Apr, 2015 08:00 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

When 2016 rolls around, it'll have been a long six years since he's gotten any of his legislation passed through Congress. That's going to make an easy White House victory for Republicans.

Sure....

Obama, a democrat, approval ratings - 45%
Congress, currently completely controlled by GOP, approval ratings - 16%

I wonder which party the people like more? It must be the one with the lower ratings, right?
oralloy

Thu 30 Apr, 2015 09:03 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
I wonder which party the people like more? It must be the one with the lower ratings, right?

"Who likes which party" should not be a major factor.

The President not getting legislation passed for six straight years is what will switch control of the White House.
parados

Thu 30 Apr, 2015 09:33 am
@oralloy,
I'm sorry, but what school did you attend that taught that in the US the President passes legislation?

Most Americans understand that it is Congress that passes legislation. Congress not passing legislation is at the feet of Congress. No one else can really be blamed.
oralloy

Thu 30 Apr, 2015 09:47 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
I'm sorry, but what school did you attend that taught that in the US the President passes legislation?
Most Americans understand that it is Congress that passes legislation.

Successful presidents propose legislation and then use their political capital to convince Congress to pass it.

parados wrote:
Congress not passing legislation is at the feet of Congress. No one else can really be blamed.

Mr. Obama is the one who chose to waste all of his second term political capital in futile attacks against the NRA instead of using it to get legislation passed. No one else made that decision for him.