Hillary Clinton hospitalized

jcboy

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 08:14 pm
Not sure what is going on. Huffington Post is saying they are treating the blood clot and "other issues" related to the concussion. Today it was a headline in one of the trash mags at the checkout counter, that Hilary has brain cancer. l was waiting to verbalize my concern til we knew more for sure.

Hillary Clinton hospitalized after doctors discover blood clot

Quote:
CNN) -- Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was hospitalized Sunday after doctors discovered a blood clot during a follow-up exam related to a concussion she suffered this month, her spokesman said.

She is expected to remain at New York Presbyterian Hospital for the next 48 hours so doctors can monitor her condition and treat her with anti-coagulants, said Philippe Reines, deputy assistant secretary of state.

"Her doctors will continue to assess her condition, including other issues associated with her concussion," Reines said. "They will determine if any further action is required."

Reines did not specify where the clot was discovered.

Clinton, 65, was suffering from a stomach virus earlier this month when she fainted due to dehydration, causing the concussion.

Clinton spent the holidays with her family last week after working from home.

She was scheduled to return to work at the State Department this week after being sidelined for the past three weeks. Her illness forced her to bow out of testifying December 20 before the House Foreign Affairs Committee on the deadly attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya. Deputies Thomas Nides and Bill Burns appeared in her place.

The medical setback comes as Clinton is wrapping up her busy tenure as secretary of state, during which she has logged more than 400 travel days and nearly a million miles. She plans to step down from the post if and when Sen. John Kerry -- President Barack Obama's choice to replace her -- is confirmed by the Senate.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 18 • Views: 3,192 • Replies: 15

ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 08:49 pm
@jcboy,
Heard this on the CBC earlier and then saw it on a couple of news feeds. Clots are definitely something to be checked for after any significant fall - and even after lesser ones once you get a bit older.

Which reminds me - I need to take my low-dose aspirin.
firefly

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 08:57 pm
@jcboy,
"Other issues" could be things like headache, dizziness, short-term memory problems, emotional lability--all of which can be associated with a concussion. I had all of those symptoms, for months, after I suffered a concussion.

I am concerned about her. I do hope the anti-coagulants are effective.

I wish Secretary Clinton a speedy recovery.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 09:02 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Which reminds me - I need to take my low-dose aspirin.

Aspirin is good to help prevent clots, I take it daily. The only problem is, since it helps to prevent clotting, I think it can also increase the possibility of bleeding into the brain if you suffer a head trauma.

Better to avoid falls and hitting one's head, if at all possible.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 10:23 pm
@jcboy,

Did Hillary threaten to tell the whole truth about Benghazi?

Did Obama decide it was best if Hillary was taken out?

PrezBO's hand of death does make him 'sort of a god'.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 10:42 pm
Hillary is in good hands. She should be all right. As for the aspirin, only when supervised by a good doctor.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 09:17 am
Hillary is no feather weight that’s for sure. The positive here is the clot was detected and having been detected can be treated. I wish her a speedy recovery, I have a lot of respect for Hillary.
Ragman

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 09:36 am
@jcboy,
She's not a lightweight...in terms of being a hard-working and strong willed leader. My best get well wishes go out to her and her family.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 09:59 am
@Ragman,
Me too.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 10:14 am
We won't know the full story until Limbaugh and Fox reveal it's trumped up to keep her from having to speak about Benghazi.....I wish her the best. Rest Hillary, so you'll be strong and fresh when you move back into the White House.....
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 04:37 pm
An update that reveals the location of the clot...
Quote:
December 31, 2012
Hillary Clinton Being Treated for Blood Clot in Head
By HELENE COOPER

WASHINGTON — Doctors treating Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton on Monday said that she suffered a blood clot in a vein between her brain and skull behind her right ear but predicted that she would make a full recovery.

Mrs. Clinton was hospitalized on Sunday with a blood clot stemming from a concussion she suffered earlier this month, a State Department spokesman said.

Her doctors said in a statement on Monday that the clot did not result in a stroke or neurological damage and that she was being treated with blood thinners.

In a statement, Drs. Lisa Bardack and Gigi El-Bayoumi, who are treating Mrs. Clinton, said: “She will be released once the medication dose has been established. In all other aspects of her recovery, the secretary is making excellent progress and we are confident she will make a full recovery. She is in good spirits, engaging with her doctors, her family, and her staff.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/31/us/hillary-clinton-goes-to-hospital-after-exam-finds-a-blood-clot.html?hp
roger

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 04:51 pm
@ossobuco,
Same here. I like Hillary, and there are few in politics I do.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 01:15 am
@firefly,
Blimey.....wishing her well.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 07:29 am
This is awesome news. My girl Hillary is tough as nails.

Hillary Clinton Progressing After Blood Clot In Head, Expected To Fully Recover

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — Doctors treating Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton for a blood clot say the clot formed in her head but they stress that they are confident she will make a full recovery.

In an update Monday on Clinton's condition, her doctors say the blood clot did not result in a stroke, or neurological damage. The clot is located in the vein in the space between the brain and the skull behind the right ear.

Clinton's doctors say that to help dissolve the clot, they are treating her with blood thinners. They say she will be released once the medication dose has been established.
firefly

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 06:54 pm
@jcboy,
Even better news, she's been discharged from the hospital.
Quote:
January 2, 2013
Clinton Leaves Hospital After Treatment for Clot
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON (AP) — Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton was released from a New York hospital on Wednesday, three days after doctors discovered a blood clot in her head.

Clinton's medical team advised her Wednesday evening that she was making good progress on all fronts and said they are confident she will fully recover, said Clinton spokesman Philippe Reines. Doctors had been treating Clinton with blood thinners to dissolve a clot in a vein that runs through the space between the brain and the skull behind the right ear.

"She's eager to get back to the office," Reines said in a statement, adding that the secretary and her family are grateful for the excellent care she received at New York-Presbyterian Hospital.

Reines said details of when Clinton will return to work will be clarified in the coming days.

Clinton had been in the hospital since Sunday, when doctors discovered the clot on an MRI test during a follow-up exam stemming from a concussion she suffered earlier in December. While at home battling a stomach virus, Clinton had fainted, fallen and struck her head, a spokesman said.

"Grateful my Mom discharged from the hospital and is heading home," the secretary's daughter, Chelsea, wrote on Twitter. "Even more grateful her medical team (is) confident she'll make a full recovery."

Earlier Wednesday, the State Department said Clinton had been speaking by telephone with staff in Washington and reviewing paperwork while in the hospital.

"She's been quite active on the phone with all of us," said State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland.
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013/01/02/us/politics/ap-us-clinton.html?hp

All of the creeps, particularly on Fox News, who suggested that Clinton was faking an ailment to avoid testifying before Congress about Benghazi really owe her a public apology. So far I haven't heard any, and I doubt I will.
Below viewing threshold (view)