The Pro Hillary Thread

snood

Sat 30 Apr, 2016 06:52 am
Hey, I know Hillary ends up being directly or indirectly the subject of several other threads, but I realized there wasn't a thread here for the explicit purpose of supporting her.

I also know that it is next to impossible to make a thread stay on the stated subject, and I'm quite sure that some people will not be able to resist getting on this thread just to continue tearing Hillary and her supporters down. I am not innocent of saying negative things about Bernie and his supporters on the pro-Bernie thread. I just wanted to add an alternative place that maybe people can go to who want to make positive observations or write things that are in support of the (nearly presumptive to date) possible Democratic nominee.

I can start by offering some words of encouragement to anyone who is, like I am, nervous about how far Donald Trump has gotten and worried about whether we have underestimated the chances of a Trump victory over the Democrat. I think Hillary is primed and ready and loaded for bear against Trump. I think when people -even some of the hard core Bernie or busters - are faced with actual ballots with Trump and Clinton pitted against each other - they will consider the ramifications of 4 or 8 years of worse devastation than George Bush wreaked on this nation. They will consider the gains that Obama made, and face the possibility of losing those and more. I think Obama is going to be a potent and devastatingly effective campaigner for Hillary and I think he will motivate a lot of fence-sitters to come along. I also think Senators like Warren and Grayson and yes even sometimes silly VP Biden will come out strong for Hillary. So take heart. Don't let the bastards get you down.
I think in a general election between Hillary and Donald the grand klaxon Trump, Hillary will cream him.

I invite anyone who wants to say something positive about Hillary and her candidacy to use this thread as a safe(er) place. God knows the negative Hillary commentators already have several alternatives to choose from.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 25 • Views: 26,580 • Replies: 558
Topic Closed

revelette2

Sat 30 Apr, 2016 07:00 am
@snood,
Engineer has already started a thread "The future President Hillary Clinton" or something like that.

I get what you are saying about a bit over confident, it seems it always is waiting there to knock you down.

Has Obama given indications he is going to come out and campaign for her?
snood

Sat 30 Apr, 2016 07:03 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

Engineer has already started a thread "The future President Hillary Clinton" or something like that.

I get what you are saying about a bit over confident, it seems it always is waiting there to knock you down.

Has Obama given indications he is going to come out and campaign for her?

Oh, I didn't know about Engineer's thread. Drat, I would've just added to that one. Ah well, maybe A2K can bear under the weight of TWO pro-Hillary threads. I haven't seen Obama say anything about coming out for Hillary - he can't really explicitly do that yet while Bernie is still viable. I'm just speculating. I think he WILL come out like gangbusters once it's Hillary vs Drumpf.
revelette2

Sat 30 Apr, 2016 07:13 am
@snood,
I'm pretty sure it is going to Trump, but there is still Indiana to go to for republicans, Cruz is polling pretty good there.

Quote:
According to our latest polls-plus forecast, Ted Cruz has a 65% chance of winning the Indiana primary.

source

Quote:
The question is what’s changed for Trump, whether the change is permanent or temporary, and what implications it has for the next set of states to vote. More particularly: What it means for Indiana, which votes next week and awards its delegates winner-take-all (some statewide and some by congressional district), and which the path-to-1,237 projections had Trump winning. As much good work as Trump has done over the past two weeks, a loss in Indiana would mostly undo it.

source

I have a feeling as badly hated Cruz is, establishment republicans will get behind Cruz more enthusiastically than they try to do for Trump to be Hillary.
snood

Sat 30 Apr, 2016 07:38 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

I'm pretty sure it is going to Trump, but there is still Indiana to go to for republicans, Cruz is polling pretty good there.

Quote:
According to our latest polls-plus forecast, Ted Cruz has a 65% chance of winning the Indiana primary.

source

Quote:
The question is what’s changed for Trump, whether the change is permanent or temporary, and what implications it has for the next set of states to vote. More particularly: What it means for Indiana, which votes next week and awards its delegates winner-take-all (some statewide and some by congressional district), and which the path-to-1,237 projections had Trump winning. As much good work as Trump has done over the past two weeks, a loss in Indiana would mostly undo it.

source

I have a feeling as badly hated Cruz is, establishment republicans will get behind Cruz more enthusiastically than they try to do for Trump to be Hillary.

Trump or Cruz are both dreadful in different ways. I think Obama will be an effective campaigner against either.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Sat 30 Apr, 2016 12:25 pm
I dislike Clinton for many reason - dishonesty is one of them and her promising us the world in order to get elected. She and Bill are just dreadful people, really.

Yet, should the ballot read Clinton vs. Trump, I definitely will chose the lesser evil and vote for Clinton. However, I really fear that Trump will prevail when pinned against Clinton, I really do!

The other scenario is that the Republicans will elect Ted Cruz as their candidate and ask Trump to run on an independent ticket. Since Cruz just announced his running mate to be Carly Fiorina - something unheard of in the primary, it lets me to believe that this will be the case at the Republican convention. Republicans will choose the lesser evil here too - Cruz over Trump! Whereas I think that they're both equally unelectable.

Then again, I would like to see Bernie Sanders running as independent on the Democratic ticket, Hillary for the Dems, Cruz for the Republicans and Trump for independent too. A huge country like the United States needs more than 2 parties to choose from.
ossobuco

Sat 30 Apr, 2016 12:41 pm
@CalamityJane,
Interesting idea, CJane. It scares me if that happens this election period, but I can also see many ways our election system could conceivably benefit from rethinking how the process works - and that is one of the matters that could use hashing out. Also, I'm scared about the election in general already, even though I and a lot of others predict her winning, I'm wary about stuff that could happen.

Virtually everyone reading these election threads knows my stance by now, that I'm more naturally attracted to Bernie's ideas but am chary of him for a variety of reasons, and I am a worrywort re Hillary for different reasons, some of them strong. But... I am pro her election if she is the nominee.

I'll try not to be repetitive re this stance in this thread, and just listen. I answered because when it comes down to the short hairs, I'll be there for her, and wanted to say so.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 30 Apr, 2016 12:42 pm
I think Edmund Hillary was a wonderful man--a mountaineer, explorer and a philanthropist. I am all in favor of Hillary, although, of course, he's dead now.
CalamityJane

Sat 30 Apr, 2016 01:25 pm
@Setanta,
Hey, what's one "l" under friends?

Actually, I didn't read the "pro" in Hilary.....sorry!
0 Replies

engineer

Sat 30 Apr, 2016 01:26 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Then again, I would like to see Bernie Sanders running as independent on the Democratic ticket, Hillary for the Dems, Cruz for the Republicans and Trump for independent too. A huge country like the United States needs more than 2 parties to choose from.

But in our electoral college system, that would likely result in no majority and the House would choose Cruz regardless of who got more votes.
CalamityJane

Sat 30 Apr, 2016 01:51 pm
@engineer,
Right, engineer, which brings me to the electoral vote and how antiquated that system is, not to mention the voting system in general.
0 Replies

Foofie

Sat 30 Apr, 2016 02:57 pm
In my opinion, in this election we are setting up the stage props for a slide into some interesting history in this century. Europe might have to get more militaristic, and spend more money on their own defenses, since Russia is still their bogey man. Or, actual conflict could break out under either party in the White House. Historians in retrospect might reconsider Bush the younger as a great President who had his Polish missile defense eliminated. We might have to get closer to those nations surrounding China. We live in interesting times. Europeans might have to stop smoking to get through the physical exercise in their basic training.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 1 May, 2016 05:18 pm
Since you don't mind attacking Sanders in my pro Bernie thread, thought I would mention, she is not much of an alternative to Trump and if the ballot is her and he, I voting for Jill Stein will be.
edgarblythe

Sun 1 May, 2016 05:24 pm
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/1602_10153418729616696_6842476517045812717_n.jpg?oh=d5672d79dcf6c14328881a16521141c2&oe=57AA491E
revelette2

Sun 1 May, 2016 05:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
Petty, not to mention cowardly since you said you won't talk to "Hillary people."
edgarblythe

Sun 1 May, 2016 06:08 pm
@revelette2,
This is why I don't talk to asses like you. You make it personal.
revelette2

Sun 1 May, 2016 06:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
This is why I don't talk to asses like you. You make it personal.

Hello? You talking to me?
0 Replies

RABEL222

Sun 1 May, 2016 06:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
Calling someone an ass isent getting personal? You have adopted Lashes attitude. Next you will claim she started the whole thing so it aint your fault.
0 Replies

snood

Sun 1 May, 2016 08:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/1602_10153418729616696_6842476517045812717_n.jpg?oh=d5672d79dcf6c14328881a16521141c2&oe=57AA491E

Do you even try to source that stuff, or is just being an accusation against Hillary legitimacy enough for you?
bobsal u1553115

Sun 1 May, 2016 10:07 pm
Clintons Return White House Furniture

By ABC News

W A S H I N G T O N, Feb. 8, 2001

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=121856&page=1

Former President Clinton and his wife, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, have sent $28,000 worth of household goods back to Washington after questions arose over whether the items were intended as personal gifts or donations to the White House.

“We have been informed that it is being shipped back, and the National Park Service is ready to receive it, take possession of it and take custody of it,” Jim McDaniel, the National Park Service’s liaison to the White House, said Wednesday.

“The property is being returned to government custody until such time that the issues can be resolved. It may well turn out that that property is rightly the personal property of the Clintons.”

Giving Back

After they were criticized for taking $190,000 worth of china, flatware, rugs, televisions, sofas and other gifts with them when they left, the Clintons announced last week that they would pay for $86,000 worth of gifts, or nearly half the amount.

Their latest decision to send back $28,000 in gifts brings to $114,000 the value of items the Clintons have either decided to pay for or return.

McDaniel discussed the matter Wednesday with Betty Monkman, the White House curator, and Gary Walters, the chief usher, or executive manager of the White House.

They were reviewing the gifts the Clintons chose to keep after $28,000 worth of items were found on a list of donations the Park Service received for the 1993 White House redecoration project. The Washington Post this week quoted three people who said that they assumed the furnishings they donated for the project would stay in the White House.

“As a result of questions about the status of certain property donated to the White House during the Clinton administration, the National Park Service will accept the return of the property in question and act as a custodian of such property,” according to a statement released by the Park Service, which administers the White House as a unit of the national park system.

A person familiar with the Clintons’ move out of the White House, who spoke on condition of anonymity, would say only: “They’ve been returned.”

Furniture Movers

While the Clintons’ decision to return these gifts was a way to get out from under this and other criticism surrounding their departure from the White House, the couple provided scant details about the shipment.

Mrs. Clinton’s office referred all questions about the gift return to the former president’s transition office. Transition office workers said the Clintons would make no statement. They referred all questions to the Park Service, which wasn’t exactly sure which gifts were being returned or where they had been kept.

In a statement released Monday, Clinton’s transition office said every item they accepted was identified by the White House gift office as a present to them. They said none of the gifts taken was on a curator’s list of official White House property.

“Gifts did not leave the White House without the approval of the White House usher’s and curator’s offices,” the statement said. “Of course, if the White House now determines that a cataloging error occurred, ... any item in question will be returned.”

Instead of waiting for the issue to be resolved, the Clintons returned the items.

The gifts in question were: A kitchen table and four chairs valued at $3,650 from Lee Ficks of Cincinnati, Ohio; a $1,000 needlepoint rug from David Martinous of Little Rock, Ark.; two sofas, an easy chair and an ottoman worth $19,900 from Steve Mittman of New York; lamps valued at $1,170 from Stuart Shiller of Hialeah, Fla.; and a $2,843 sofa from Brad Noe, a businessman from California.

The gifts were just one of several flaps that followed the Clintons out of the White House:

Lawmakers are questioning Clinton’s desire to rent expensive office space in New York City at government expense. Because of the contention, the former president’s foundation has offered to pay at least $300,000 of an estimated $790,000 annual rent for the office Clinton favors.

Mrs. Clinton, the new senator from New York, has faced questions about the propriety of accepting the gifts in the period between her election and her swearing-in. Senate rules would have limited what she could accept had she been a senator.

Members of both parties also have criticized Clinton for granting scores of eleventh-hour clemency requests, including the pardon of Marc Rich, a fugitive in Switzerland from 51 counts in the United States of tax evasion and fraud.