WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT THIS....NOW!

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 11:17 pm
Quote:
HAYDEN, Idaho — A mom shopping at a Walmart store died Tuesday after her toddler, who was left in a shopping cart, reached into her purse and accidentally discharged her handgun, authorities said.

Veronica J. Rutledge, 29, of Blackfoot, Idaho, had gone to the store in this Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, suburb with four children in tow at mid-morning.

Her 2-year-old son, who was sitting in the shopping cart, reached into his mother's purse, causing the small-caliber handgun to discharge one time, said Lt. Stu Miller, Kootenai County Sheriff's Office spokesman.

"It appears to be a pretty tragic accident," Miller said. Rutledge was dead by the time deputies arrived.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/12/30/woman-shot-with-own-gun/21062089/

WHAT!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 27 • Views: 23,749 • Replies: 320

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 11:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
If gun owners can not even be trusted to use safeties then for sure there should be a law about guns needing to be built so that only their owner can fire them. If it should jack up the gun sale price $400-500 great, it will work like cig taxes and we will cut back on how much money we steal from our kids and grandkids (government borrowing, because we will collect more sales tax per gun). No problem here with the constitution that I can see.

Who is with me?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 11:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
Dont remember who it was but in the last year I read a detailed analysis from one of the SCOTUS Justices about how the government absolutely has the right to compel gun regulation just as much as the europeans do.

lets give that a go.
oralloy

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 12:43 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Dont remember who it was but in the last year I read a detailed analysis from one of the SCOTUS Justices about how the government absolutely has the right to compel gun regulation just as much as the europeans do.
lets give that a go.

The Constitution places stringent limits on how rights can be regulated. In essence, a regulation is only allowed if there is a good reason for it, and if it does not prevent people from exercising their rights.

Much European regulation would violate both principles.

Further, you do not merely have to comply with the Constitution. You also need the permission of the NRA before altering federal gun laws.

On behalf of the NRA, I hereby decline permission for any changes to our federal gun laws.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 12:46 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

On behalf of the NRA, I hereby decline permission for any changes to our gun laws.

That's the most stupidest thing still read in 2014. I hope people smarten up in 2015 - or at least shut up the stupid ones!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 12:46 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
You also need the permission of the NRA before altering federal gun laws.
That's in the Constitution as well?
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 12:47 am
@Walter Hinteler,
No! He's just delusional, like all gun owners.
Kolyo

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 12:49 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

oralloy wrote:

On behalf of the NRA, I hereby decline permission for any changes to our gun laws.

That's the most stupidest thing still read in 2014. I hope people smarten up in 2015 - or at least shut up the stupid ones!

You may have read it in 2014, but he actually wrote it in 2015. Smile
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 12:53 am
@Kolyo,
Good, then you shut up the stupid ones, Kolyo....I am still in 2014 Smile
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 01:03 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

No. It's in the reality of American politics.
oralloy

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 01:04 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
No! He's just delusional, like all gun owners.

No delusions on my end. You've been denied permission to alter our federal gun laws, and that's the end of the matter.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 01:06 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

A simple denial of permission is neither smart nor stupid. It is simply a NO.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 01:19 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
A simple denial of permission is neither smart nor stupid. It is simply a NO.

and if the majority says otherwise, and what the majority wants does not violate the Constitution?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 03:17 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Walter Hinteler wrote:

No. It's in the reality of American politics.
So your reality of politics is not conform with the constitution. I knew that but still ...
oralloy

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 03:50 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
and if the majority says otherwise, and what the majority wants does not violate the Constitution?

It isn't so clear that your proposals would not violate the Constitution. For the smart gun thing, you would need tech that was reliable enough for people to depend on in defense of their lives, and it would need to be reasonably affordable. Our current level of development just isn't there yet. The "European-style regulations" thing would clearly violate the Constitution.

But to answer your question, if the NRA says no, then the answer is no. Even if a majority wants it, and even if it truly does not violate the Constitution.
oralloy

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 03:50 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
So your reality of politics is not conform with the constitution.

That is incorrect.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
I knew that but still ...

If you "know" something that is in fact untrue, it might be time to touch up your education.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 05:14 am
This is just Darwinism, anyone stupid enough to let a 2 year old near a gun deserves to be shot. Hopefully the kids might now be brought up by someone a bit more responsible.
Krumple

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 05:45 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

If gun owners can not even be trusted to use safeties then for sure there should be a law about guns needing to be built so that only their owner can fire them. If it should jack up the gun sale price $400-500 great, it will work like cig taxes and we will cut back on how much money we steal from our kids and grandkids (government borrowing, because we will collect more sales tax per gun). No problem here with the constitution that I can see.

Who is with me?

The more regulations do nothing to solve crimes, it is well documented. The ONLY thing it does is make it more difficult to the normal mentally sound people who chose to own a gun for their home and family protection. A criminal who cares very little for human life also wouldn't care about laws in the first place. So they are not going to care what hoops they have to jump through or find a way to bypass the restrictions or gadgets they try to attach to guns.

The problem isn't guns. It is mental health issue, always has been and always will be. A person who is bent on causing other's harm will find a way to do so if they are so inclined. A gun might just be a convenient method but no matter how restrictive you get on them, they may just opt for another method such as bombs, knives or some other method.

I personally don't like guns, but there is nothing we can do about the knowledge we have that allows us to create them or for some to own them or feel it necessary to use them on other humans. Look at the sword, statistically speaking the sword probably still has more deaths associated with it than guns have even though we have used them in warfare for the past 250 years.

With a population of 316 million in the US statistically speaking there are going to be absolute NUT cases who will find a way to kill others. Remove guns completely by strict gun laws will do nothing to prevent mentally ill people from causing harm to other people. They will find a way. No amount of taxation or price of guns will ever prevent it. Even if you raised the price to a hundred thousand dollars for a simple hand gun, gangs will still find a way to get them because they have the financial backing of illegal drug sales to afford them.

Mexico has some of the toughest anti-gun laws yet still one of the highest murder rates involving guns. The laws do nothing to prevent gun related crimes against people. Those who think you can solve this problem through enacting laws or technology are fooling themselves into a false comfort.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 06:01 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
The more regulations do nothing to solve crimes, it is well documented.

Stating the flaming obvious again. Who in their right mind would even entertain the possibility that regulation could solve a crime? Crimes are solved by detective work.

It's common sense that a country awash with guns has a far higher homicide rate than one that hasn't. I'm fortunate enough to live in a country where the right to life is seen as more important than some paranoid weirdo's need to have a gun. **** like this doesn't happen over here.
timur

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 06:18 am
Izzy wrote:
I'm fortunate enough to live in a country where the right to life is seen as more important than some paranoid weirdo's need to have a gun.

Not that many Americans would understand that..