Law Enforcement and the African-American community

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 04:25 pm
I think a lot of people in the United States do not fully realize the long history between the African-American community, and law enforcement. Since the 1940's and before, African-Americans have typically have had a long history of injustice done upon to them. From the murder of Emmitt Till, to the assassination of Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, from the 1964 Watts riots all the way to the beating of Rodney King, there are many within the African-American community who have seen their fair share of injustice.

I guess the reason why I mention the history of how African-Americans perceived justice from the revisionist perspective, is to give people here a brief understanding why there is a generational resentment towards law enforcement. What people fail to realize is that just because there is a person of color who is president, does not mean the black community does not experience the residual effects of centuries old injustice. For myself as a person of color, and as a law abiding citizen I've had my fair share of racial profiling. This doesn't mean I had my pants sagging or wear a blue or red bandana hanging off my clothes. It's just being African-American and being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

The problem I see with law enforcement is the authoritative figure mentality where many police officers feel, by being sworn into law enforcement means that they are exempt to be walking examples of what they enforce. I cannot recall many times where people have told me how cops would stop them crossing over into predominantl white neighborhoods and warn them with the stiff phrase of "go back to your own neighborhoods." People forget that in the city of Compton it was once a predominantly white neighborhood until African-Americans started moving in. Then "white flight" happened where whites moved out, and then so started gentrification.

What bothers me when reading some of the comments from the media outlets regarding the Ferguson situation are those that ask "why do they act like animals? Why do they respond to injustice with civil unrest?" I personally think if those white neighbors who decided to move when middle class black Americans moved into neighborhoods and had first hand experience as to what African-Americans went through from the 1900's on down to even today I think some would get a glimpse as to why there is continual anger within the black community.

Now, let me caution that I do not want people here to get confused with resentment and criminal activity. Regarding the looting and property damage these are done by opportunistic individuals who are taking advantage of a volitle situation to which the media focuses on and without drawing distinction between peaceful protesters it most certainly gets associated with the protesting going on. People fail to realize that despite the calls for peace as what happened in 1965 pre-Watts riots, society (most specifically White society) will not care to make those distinctions and would rather focus on the negative elements.

I wish people would understand that African-Americans throughout the creation of this country and even today, whether you're a law abiding citizen or not, are always in the stereotypical crosshairs of American society. Today's civil unrest is an unfortunate example of how black Americans as a community have given up on an impartial system of justice because very few of the viceroys of justice do so equitable fashion.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 19 • Views: 15,388 • Replies: 311

Below viewing threshold (view)
Buttermilk

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 01:45 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Not surprising you have a racist response. I wonder what would Jesus think about your response?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 02:25 am
@Buttermilk,
I think that black rappers glorifying a life of crime to include killing cops with almost no resulting outrage from the black community nullifies any caring on the part of whites of any legit grievances the black community might have about policing practices.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 02:33 am
@Buttermilk,
Buttermilk wrote:
Not surprising you have a racist response. I wonder what would Jesus think about your response?
Long ago, Mohammed Ali, or Cassius Clay, expressed agreement with it,
tho he did not put it exactly that way. IF u cud alter history
so that blacks were left un-disturbed in Africa, wud u do so ?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 02:37 am
@Buttermilk,
Buttermilk wrote:

I think a lot of people in the United States do not fully realize the long history between the African-American community, and law enforcement. Since the 1940's and before, African-Americans have typically have had a long history of injustice done upon to them. From the murder of Emmitt Till, to the assassination of Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, from the 1964 Watts riots all the way to the beating of Rodney King, there are many within the African-American community who have seen their fair share of injustice.
I thought he was killed by other blacks. Yes ?????
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 02:48 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Funny question, David and one can never be honest when considering the consequences of mucking about with time. I told you about the Science fiction story where someone goes back in time to assassinate Hitler only to find on his return that the Nazis won WW2. Your question reminds me of the person who when asked for directions replies, "Well I wouldn't start from here."

How would you go about mending the fractured race relations that exist in your country? We may not want to be here, but here we are. Compare the treatment of this officer to the one who killed Michael Brown.

Quote:
BALTIMORE - A Baltimore City police officer has been suspended without pay and will be charged with felony animal cruelty for killing a dog in Canton Saturday, department officials announced at a press conference Wednesday.

“We have no words to describe this. To say they’re were appalled at the allegations I think is an understatement.” Deputy Commissioner Jerry Rodriguez said. ... "As we stand here before you the officer is being arrested for a felony charge.”

http://www.abc2news.com/news/breaking-news/baltimore-police-officer-to-be-charged-with-felony-animal-cruelty-for-killing-dog

It would not be unreasonable to conclude that a dog's life is more important than a black man's.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 02:56 am
@izzythepush,
Here in america a fair number of people believe that animals are more important than people full stop. It is a bit of a problem.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 03:01 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Funny question, David and one can never be honest when considering the consequences of mucking about with time. I told you about the Science fiction story where someone goes back in time to assassinate Hitler only to find on his return that the Nazis won WW2.
Yes. It is VERY arguable
that Hitler screwed things up disastrously for the Germen,
ergo the July 2O, 1944 assassination attempt by his army officers.
We landed on the Moon on its anniversary in 1969,
but I dont believe that Neil Armstrong celebrated it up there.
Maybe he forgot.

izzythepush wrote:
Your question reminds me of the person who when asked for directions replies, "Well I wouldn't start from here."

How would you go about mending the fractured race relations that exist in your country? We may not want to be here, but here we are. Compare the treatment of this officer to the one who killed Michael Brown.

Quote:
BALTIMORE - A Baltimore City police officer has been suspended without pay and will be charged with felony animal cruelty for killing a dog in Canton Saturday, department officials announced at a press conference Wednesday.

“We have no words to describe this. To say they’re were appalled at the allegations I think is an understatement.” Deputy Commissioner Jerry Rodriguez said. ... "As we stand here before you the officer is being arrested for a felony charge.”

http://www.abc2news.com/news/breaking-news/baltimore-police-officer-to-be-charged-with-felony-animal-cruelty-for-killing-dog

It would not be unreasonable to conclude that a dog's life is more important than a black man's.
I don t have a plan for mending relations.
I also dont believe that my knowledge of the operative facts
of the Brown shooting is sufficient for me to comment on them. I have not yet formed an opinion.

The best that I can say qua both deaths
is that thay shud be judged by what the decedent was doing
in the last moments of his life.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 03:03 am
Allegations of police and/or FBI involvement in the assassination of Malcolm X and Martin Luther King are speculative only. In fact, the case can better be made in regard to the assassination of Malcolm X than in the case of Mr. King. But in neither case is there, currently at least, anything more than a circumstantial claim. It is perfectly reasonable that black people are paranoid--people are out to get them. That does not, however, authorize any conspiracy theory which can be cooked up.

The strongest statement that can be made is that the FBI were attempting to disrupt the civil rights movement rather than to protect the people involved in it. For that alone, a strong case of racist policing practices can be made.
Buttermilk

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 07:03 am
@hawkeye10,
You're referring to "gangster" rap which is a genre and there are sub-genres of rap they have different messages. For example, you have conscious rap, battle rap, freestyle rap, etcetera. As far as the message of rap, sure i do not agree with the violent message that rap brings, but as those of us that have lived in the community, rap lyrics in its violent nature is a reflection of what many inner city kids have experienced. As far as the outrage from the black community, well, do you not understand that there are townhall meetings regarding the violence within the black community?

Unfortunately, media wise, the media does not focus on the peaceful mitigation that these discussions brings, rather, the media focuses on perpetuating the stereotype that blacks cannot resolve their own issues. Unfortunately, the so-called "thugs" and degenerates from within no matter how minor they are, standout because the media focuses on those issues because if everything was peaceful what would they report?
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 07:05 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Actually Muhammad Ali spoke out about white racism. He was from the Nation of Islam and quite obviously you're lying if you think Ali would agree that whites "saved blacks." Ali would disagree. If I remember correctly it was a collective effort between white and black abolitionists. Blacks gave their lives in the civil war. Blacks gave their lives for the civil rights changes which allows immigrants to migrate to this land. Blacks did a lot to make change in the U.S so I hardly think whites solely helped blacks.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 08:49 am
@Buttermilk,
Buttermilk wrote:
Actually Muhammad Ali spoke out about white racism.
That 's not much surprize,
but I remember him also saying that he was grateful
for us bringing the blacks from Africa.

David
Below viewing threshold (view)
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 09:09 am
You made your case very nicely, B, and although very few whites may be able to truly understand the feelings of blacks on this issue, we can have empathy with the position.

You might consider the advice Setanta gave you, though...and not include material that can be countered as easily as those examples he gave. Keep your arguments tight...and continue to fight the good fight.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 09:14 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Buttermilk said to me: Not surprising you have a racist response. I wonder what would Jesus think about your response?

The whites were 'Good Samaritans', rescuing the poor blacks from the jungles
and bringing them to America where they were free from the fear of being eaten by other tribes..Smile
I think that Cassius Clay's point was that
he was glad that thru the ministrations of the whites,
he did not live his life in Africa.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 09:20 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Allegations of police and/or FBI involvement in the assassination of Malcolm X
and Martin Luther King are speculative only.
As I remember,
he was killed by blacks,
as a result of factional in-fighting
based on his religious ideology.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 09:25 am
South Africa, Rhodesia and Congo are just some examples of African countries that kicked out the whites and descended back into the jungle-

Article- "Crime is a prominent issue in South Africa. South Africa has a very high rate of murders, assaults, rapes (adult, child and infant), and other crimes compared to most countries."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_South_Africa
"According to the 2011 UNAIDS Report, South Africa has an estimated 5.6 million people living with HIV – more than any other country in the world"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa
Buttermilk

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 04:46 pm
@Setanta,
You can make the same speculation about the Black Panthers who attempted to unite impoverished and disgruntled black people with their own sense of Black Nationalism.
Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 04:47 pm
@Buttermilk,
I'd say the case for the Black Panthers is not speculative.
0 Replies