Setanta

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 11:07 am
Forty-five years ago today, Neil Armstrong stepped off a ladder onto the surface of the moon . . . and muffed his lines.

My Aunt and i were sitting in the living room, watching the television, and i kept look out the doors to the balcony to look at the moon. My Aunt said she didn't believe it, that it was all being faked.

What are your recollections?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 23 • Views: 26,476 • Replies: 235

rosborne979

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 11:18 am
@Setanta,
I was young at the time. Under 10 years old. I remember my father waking me up very early when it was still dark out so that I could watch the historic landing on our old Black and White Zenith TV. I remember being very tired. I remember it taking FOREVER for that damn thing to land... beep beep beep, crackling static voices, dust and craters creeping closer and closer and closer... wasn't it ever going to land... I don't remember the actual step onto the lunar surface. Not sure if I fell asleep or just got bored.
chai2

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 11:54 am
@rosborne979,
Like you rosborne, I was woken up in the middle of the night to watch, and was frazzled at the wait. I knew this was something important I shouldn't miss, but I was so tired!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 11:56 am
I was not near a TV during this time, but was well aware of it. My grandmother was another one who believed it was filmed at a studio lot.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 12:12 pm
English was the first language spoken on an alien world, thanks Neil..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/apollo-11.jpg~original
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 12:20 pm
I was spending the summer out in the woods of New Hampshire in my cabin off the grid -- no electricity, ergo no TV. Heard about it on the car radio next day and was thrilled. It amazes me that to this day there are people who believe the landing was all a staged hoax. They don't seem to realize how many people would have had to be involved in order to put such a scam over, not just NASA but all the TV networks as well.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 12:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
My story about that is too personal to describe. I'll just say it was very good.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 12:32 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
My Aunt said as we were watching it that she thought it was faked. I guess it was an idea too enormous for some people to take in. People under the age of 40 probably take all of this for granted.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 12:36 pm
I was woken up to go downstairs in the basement to my dad's study to watch on the tv we had just gotten when my great grandmother died. It was very old and small. Before that the parents never bought a TV because they did not see the need for one. I got told what an important event in history this was, and that I needed to see it. For years after I would drink Tang and eat really nasty food sticks (have no idea what they were made of) because the astronauts did.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 12:40 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

My Aunt said as we were watching it that she thought it was faked. I guess it was an idea too enormous for some people to take in. People under the age of 40 probably take all of this for granted.
those who were not around then I dont think can understand how big this was. It was a eruption of national pride, tech pride, species pride, and was supposed to be the opening of the door to humans in space. I was 7, we kids would ask each other " are you going to live in space when you grow up?" It was a given that we could if we wanted, that loads of people would be doing it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 12:42 pm
Hitch hiking through Arizona or New Mexico, I got a ride with a guy a year prior. He said, "They will never be able to land on the moon. In the first place, it moves too fast. They couldn't catch it." I maintained my silence, not wanting to jeopardize my ride.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 01:28 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
ONE SMALL STEP

You gotta give credit where credit is due - the USA is fantastic, numero uno in history, at producing propaganda.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 01:35 pm
I was seven years old, and I remember watching it with my dad on tv at home.
My dad had just gotten home from Vietnam, and it was our chance to spend some time together.
He was trying to explain why it was a historic moment, and I just thought it was cool seeing the moon like that.
Below viewing threshold (view)
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 01:57 pm
@mysteryman,
I suppose I should add to my post that I was 30.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 02:31 pm
@Quehoniaomath,
Quote:
Well, it are all lies, lies and more lies!
it is ******* sad to see that!!

LOL..........
Quehoniaomath

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 02:36 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
LOL........

What is so funny?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 02:43 pm
@Quehoniaomath,
Your tool-ness.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 02:47 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Your tool-ness.

What do you mean? And may guess is you really, really think we went to the moon as shown on tv?
0 Replies