Law Enforcement and the African-American community

Buttermilk

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 04:49 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Well I cannot go by memory so unless you have concrete evidence that he actually said the aforementioned statement, I can only conclude what you said is merely conjecture.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 04:52 pm
@Buttermilk,
Govern your chosen beliefs as u wish.
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 04:59 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
This comment is very said. So let me get this straight.......

You have Portugese traders then English Settlers/Traders who made trades with the various cheiftains of African countries (remember not all of Africa practiced slavery), transported slaves not as human beigs but as objects and goods to be sold, auctioned them off to the highest bidder, whipped into submission to work the fields. Then if a slave tried to read a book was disciplined, and if a slave tried to escaped it was either killed or captured. Not to mentioned many slaves sleeping in horse stables. African women were raped, the children were taken away by families.

Even after the abolishment of slavery then you have descendants of slaves who were cut off from their ancestral culture and language and forced to acclimate to colonial society, then had to use segragated facilities because whites at that time saw blacks not as human, but as sub-human people. Lynched black men from trees (hence Billy Holiday's song Strangte Fruit), to the Emmitt Till's who were killed for looking at white women.

Did I mention black inventors who rarely received credit?

Or the early Africans who invented philosophy, mathematics, and the like but these accomplishments are attributed to the Greeks and Italians?

Or what about a black man who designed the traffic light?

Or what about the Black Man Benjamin Banneker, a black man who designed our nation's capital, but is rarely known by the majority white population?

Or what of the letter Mr. Banneker wrote to Thomas Jefferson:

"…Sir, how pitiable is it to reflect, that although you were so fully convinced of the benevolence of the Father of Mankind, and of his equal and impartial distribution of these rights and privileges, which he hath conferred upon them, that you should at the same time counteract his mercies, in detaining by fraud and violence so numerous a part of my brethren, under groaning captivity and cruel oppression, that you should at the same time be found guilty of that most criminal act, which you professedly detested in others, with respect to yourselves."

You still think despite the evil the early white settlers conveyed not just upon the Africans, and Native Americans that somehow whites saved Africans from themselves?
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 05:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank I think from any sociological standpoint whenevr you're dealing with the pain of any given culture, empathy is all that is necessary to allow understanding to commence. It is difficult for any culture, including myself to say "I understand where you're coming from" especially if I've never shared in that pain with that given culture. I think what its important here is to highlight there perpetual anger and the continual issues that plague Americans.

Frank, your post reminds me of th following Biblical passage:

"For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. 7I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; 8in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing."

Timothy 4:7

0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 05:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I am asking you to prove that Muhammad Ali said that, if you cannot prove that then all I can say is that perhaps int the context in which you've presented it, it is merely conjecture.
Buttermilk

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 05:05 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Wow Romeo you're just filled with awesome ignorance....
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 05:10 pm
@Buttermilk,
Buttermilk wrote:
I am asking you to prove that Muhammad Ali said that,
if you cannot prove that then all I can say is that perhaps int the
context in which you've presented it, it is merely conjecture.
B, remembering is different than guessing.
I m not sufficiently motivated to do the labor of digging out proof.
That 'd be un-paid work. Forget it.
Convincing u does not stand high in my priorities.
Success 'd not render me even slightly better off.

We are only having a casual conversation.
Its not as if we were litigating.

David
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 05:30 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Ali won the fight, and upon returning to the United States, he was asked by a reporter, "Champ, what did you think of Africa?" Ali replied, "Thank God my granddaddy got on that boat!"

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Muhammad_Ali

Took me a minute 30...I can spare the time today.
Below viewing threshold (view)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 03:44 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Ali won the fight, and upon returning to the United States,
he was asked by a reporter, "Champ, what did you think of Africa?" Ali replied, "Thank God my granddaddy got on that boat!"

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Muhammad_Ali

Took me a minute 30...I can spare the time today.
I acknowledge a BETTER researcher than me. Thank u, Hawkeye.
Maybe some day I will dine in your restaurant, if I get out there.

David
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Buttermilk

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 01:47 am
@OmSigDAVID,
You don't have to convince me but when you try to bring Ali in the equation and its you, being prejudiced as is, I has to be suspect of your comment. If you claim that Muhammad Ali said something you ought to show evidence that he did, if you can't, then it's just something you MIGHT have heard.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 02:04 am
@Buttermilk,
Buttermilk wrote:

You don't have to convince me but when you try to bring Ali in the equation and its you, being prejudiced as is, I has to be suspect of your comment. If you claim that Muhammad Ali said something you ought to show evidence that he did, if you can't, then it's just something you MIGHT have heard.
I did not hear of it. I saw it in the newspaper.
Hawkeye found it n set it forth hereinabove.

I guess u did not see his post.

David
Buttermilk

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 10:36 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I read the link, but whatever Mr. Ali's comments were in regards to his coming home from Africa, his opinion doesn't resonate with all African-Americans. It's typical for some whites to exclaim the opinion that if Africans were never brought to America then the descendants of slaves would too share the same fate.

The thing is, how do we know Africa would've been in the state it is in now if slavery didn't exist? How do we know America would be where its at if Africans weren't here? Remember America reached its zenith in achievements by people of different cultures. The fact is we don't know what society would be like and anything is just speculation.
giujohn

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 04:42 pm
@Buttermilk,
Quote:
What people fail to realize is that just because there is a person of color who is president, does not mean the black community does not experience the residual effects of centuries old injustice.

So when do ya get over it and move forward??

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

If blacks cant get over the fact that they are black how do they expect anyone else too?

Who controls the trafficing of drugs at the street level in this country?

White people make up about 80% of the American population, according to the United States Census. And black people account for about 13%. Yet, according to the same FBI table, blacks committed 28.4% of the crimes and whites 69.2%. Thus, black contribution to the “crime pie” is larger than thier slice of the population pie- actually more than double.

And spare me the societal excuses.

Even a black person will cross the street in certain black neighbohoods when they see a black male approching.

Black violence kills more blacks than the KKK ever did. In 2011 more than 7,000 black people were killed; the KKK killed 3,446 blacks in 86 years.

Black-on-black murders surpass the number of people killed by the KKK every six months.

Yes, now this is where the race baters will call me a racist.
Go ahead, I'll wait, get it out..............

Ok, so even if I'm a "racist", does that diminish what I have said?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 05:30 pm
@Buttermilk,
Most people forget that the US is a country of immigrants, and all races and ethnicities have contributed to its success - up to this point.

How we progress from here is anybody's guess, but from what I'm observing with our broken politics and government, it doesn't look too promising.

The first thing the GOP did when Obama became president was to announce "he's going to be a one term president." I have never heard of such ignorance coming from our political leaders. The American people elected him!

Even now, he's promising fight rather than negotiation and compromise.

From the courier-journal.
Quote:
If he's Senate leader, McConnell promises fight
James R. Carroll, [email protected] 6:15 p.m. EDT August 20,

WASHINGTON - You will recall that Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said in a 2010 interview that "the single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president."

McConnell, R-Ky., failed in that quest, but has been a constant and vocal critic of the president on everything from the health care reform law to environmental policies.

Now running for a sixth term and the possible GOP control of the Senate within reach, McConnell is promising a tempestuous and confrontational final two years of the Obama presidency should the Kentuckian become Senate majority leader.

"We're going to pass spending bills, and they're going to have a lot of restrictions on the activities of the bureaucracy," McConnell said in an interview with Politico's Manu Raju as he rode his campaign bus through Western Kentucky. "That's something he won't like, but that will be done. I guarantee it."
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 06:00 pm
@Buttermilk,
Buttermilk wrote:
I read the link, but whatever Mr. Ali's comments were
in regards to his coming home from Africa,
his opinion doesn't resonate with all African-Americans.
U r saying that thay 'd prefer to have lived out their lives in Africa, right ?
Disagreeing with him?

If it had been my choice, I 'd have had NO slavery in America
and simply left them alone un-disturbed in Africa and mind our own business

David

giujohn

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 06:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
You will recall that Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said in a 2010 interview that "the single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president."

OH MY GOODNESS A republican who wanted a democrat to lose and election...what a f@#%ing news flash.

You simpleton...did you expect McConnel to be Obamas Campaign Manager??
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 12:45 am
@giujohn,
Quote:

we used to believe, presidents used to believe, that Presidents have a duty to put country...all of the country... above party.

Clearly THe Professor does not believe that, and neither does McConnel. Who was wrong first IDK.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 02:39 am
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Quote:
You will recall that Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said in a 2010 interview that "the single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president."

OH MY GOODNESS A republican who wanted a democrat to lose and election...what a f@#%ing news flash.

McConnell was NOT saying that he wanted a person of the other party to lose...he was saying THAT THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING WE WANT TO ACHIEVE is for President Obama to be a one-term president.

That, according to McConnell...was the MOST IMPORTANT job of the congress!

I would have expected there to be more important things on the agenda!

0 Replies