We maybe moving soon

Sloan

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 04:03 pm
@MMarciano,
Yes he is a nut but a lovable nut,... see you two around town.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 10:35 am
@MMarciano,
All you really need in the guest room for your mom is a bed/mattress. Even a high quality aero-bed might do in a pinch. You're right, your mom mainly cares about seeing you, and being with you, and the decor doesn't matter.

I'm with osso on this one. I think rushing out to buy furniture is a mistake. I think it's better to live in the house for a little while and get a sense of the space, how you want to fill it, and how you both want it to look.

There are so many decisions to be made when furnishing and decorating rooms. Color schemes, furniture styles, lighting needs, floor coverings, the size and scale of individual sofas, chairs, tables, and chests/storage items, so they are appropriate for the dimensions of the room, and, since children and pets will be involved, durability and ease of cleaning upholstered fabrics and floor coverings might be a consideration. And then there are the wall and window treatments. It's a process that involves a lot of thought, a lot of discussion, a lot of shopping and browsing, a lot of careful measuring and planning--all of which is best done slowly. You want to feel really comfortable and pleased with those rooms when you're all finished.

I'm a fairly good amateur interior decorator, judging by the positive feedback I've always received with my efforts, particularly my more recent efforts. But, early on I learned some important lessons, the first one being that, just because you fall in love with a piece of furniture in the store does not mean it will look good in your room, even if it seems to work on your floor plan diagram. Looking at a piece of furniture in isolation in a furniture store is not always the same as seeing it in your particular room surrounded by other items.

I once bought a pair of beautiful wing chairs to flank a mantel in a room. They were exactly what I was looking for and what I thought would be perfect, given my decor and seating needs. Then, after they were delivered, I realized that that particular style of chair was just too bulky given the somewhat narrow dimensions of my room, and visually the chairs just overwhelmed the room. I sold them almost immediately, fortunately, and replaced them with high-backed arm chairs which had a much more open, less bulky look, and the effect was perfect--and these chairs were even more comfortable to sit in than the more heavily upholstered pieces they replaced.

My second big mistake was buying a fairly large patterned sofa as the first item of furniture for a living room in another home. I loved the pattern and colors of the sofa fabric and they went beautifully with the color of the carpeting which was already installed. And the sofa looked great in the room--as long as there were no other items, beside tables, in the room. The pattern on such a large piece of furniture made decorating the rest of the room difficult, and very limiting, something I just hadn't realized in advance. I just couldn't bring in anything else with a pattern--it was too distracting to the eye. Had the same pattern been on chairs it would have worked, but on a large sofa it just didn't. This week, I was watching the Nate Berkus show, and one of his decorating tips was never to buy a patterned sofa--add pattern to the room with throw pillows on a solid colored sofa, or add it on chairs, rugs, etc. Wish I had heard that advice many many years ago before I bought that sofa, although I did learn from that mistake and didn't repeat it when I decorated the next living room.

So, I'd slow down on trying to furnish your new home ASAP. Live in it a while. Get a sense of what you need, and like, and the space you are trying to fill. Buying mistakes can be costly and a pain in the neck. Either live with your old furniture for a while, or, if you don't want to move with it, consider renting furniture for a month or two so you can talk, and plan, and browse, and shop, at a more leisurely pace. I think that's the best way to wind up with a home that reflects your combined taste and style, one you'll both feel comfortable in, and one that suits your needs and lifestyle.

Wildhourses

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 10:42 am
@firefly,
Marco said he and Morgan left the forum and wouldn’t be back.

He didn’t say why though.
firefly

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 10:46 am
@Wildhourses,
If true, I'm very sorry to hear that. Is everything all right with them?
Wildhourses

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 10:51 am
@firefly,
Oh yeah, they are good. Marco said he had asked to have their accounts deleted but was told they can’t so they just decided not to return. The only thing he told me was he didn’t want to be part of any forum that allowed racism like the black on white crime thread. He said if they would allow that here it wasn’t the place for them.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 11:10 am
@Wildhourses,
I will miss them a lot.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 06:22 pm
@ossobuco,
I hope this passes, with reconsidering.

I'd be fine with talking about it privately.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 06:40 pm
@Wildhourses,
There's a black on white crime thread here? I can understand how they might feel on the subject - I probably agree with them - but with freedom of speech issues you get to debate, discuss, ignore or protest that which you disagree with in an open forum. I haven't seen the thread referenced so I don't know how the discussion has gone but I can assume that any racist comments were vehemently opposed. With an open forum you see things that make you angry and other things that make you smile.

Of course they can choose for themselves whether this is the place for them. I hope they ultimately choose that it is, but I'd rather be at a place that allows for opposing (even ignorant) viewpoints than one where everyone is preaching to the same choir. My best wishes to all of them in their future lives together.

Can someone pm me a link to the thread in question? I don't want it posted here as an insult on top of injury.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 07:00 pm
He deactivated his facebook account, too.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 07:15 pm
At first I thought it was re annoyance on my bitch advising. But why? JC would understand me, he always has, he catches on fast. I was relieved it was about something else, at first, until I got it was a done.

I sent a message to wildhourses, which he will convey or not, re how this site lives.
0 Replies

JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 08:34 pm
I was surprised Morgan has been on this forum since 2006. He must have been a kid when he registered here.

I’m familiar with the thread in question. I reported it when I first registered here. It’s been going on for three years so I wasn’t too surprised when it wasn’t removed.

It’s nothing more then blatant racism. I realize this is an open forum and I believe in freedom of speech but allowing it on a forum message board will distract many new users from wanting to stick around. I know of several myself that came and left but that was their decision and so be it.
Eva

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 09:58 pm
@JeffreyEqualityNewma,
This surprises me. I thought Morgan & Marco knew us better than that by now. Surely they know they are cherished here.

There are several threads and several posters here I disagree with so vehemently that I've voted down the threads so they will disappear and put the posters on "Ignore." The thread in question here is one of them.

As a liberal Democrat living and working in a very, very red state, I find myself surrounded by people whose views I find repulsive on a regular basis. Maybe that is why the thread in question didn't bother me as much as it did Morgan and Marco. I hear that kind of trash often enough that I have learned not to let it affect me.

I hope they will reconsider. I will miss them. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 10:14 pm
@JeffreyEqualityNewma,
Racism is among the many horribles posted here.

In the beginning, we had moderators who could slash. But asking against all that is asking a few volunteer people to be awake all the time, which was soon impossible.

This is a free site, it gets now funds from ads, which I don't take it as making a dent. Keeping this going has been a struggle.

Take the righteousness walk to getting people to use thumbs and ignore.

We have lost several good posters for this reason.

I'd like to see one of them start a website like this one with virtually no money.

A whole lot of us agree with you anti racism.

You get to post that here.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 11:19 pm
@Wildhourses,
Wildhourses wrote:

Oh yeah, they are good. Marco said he had asked to have their accounts deleted but was told they can’t so they just decided not to return. The only thing he told me was he didn’t want to be part of any forum that allowed racism like the black on white crime thread. He said if they would allow that here it wasn’t the place for them.

they either knew or should have known what a2k is from day one. almost certainly a2k was a lark, and they have grown bored, so now they leave... blaming others of course for their behavior . I said many times that the St Pete Playboys are not invested in a2k and that this should be taken into account. I stand by that.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 02:34 am
@edgarblythe,
If I may, facebook of A2Kers has nothing to do with A2K.

It's about finding a "like" in a person/persons and wanting to know them in "real life".

Sooo, I am going to "ask" nicely NOOO, what ever the reason for here, is a matter of choice.

Shutting people out that like you guys and want to get to know you guys and keep in touch is "the internet world" and real, nothing to do with here.

The fact that edgar noted that and I noted also that I hadn't seen posts for a while, think of those people, who be-friended you two...

You just walk away from them? Your name is still JCBoy.. There is no harm is there? Really?

Hoping for a re-consideration and that your friends copy and paste this to you both.

Others would at least have the chance to be-friend you there and keep in touch, worse scenario.

the prince

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 03:26 am
@FOUND SOUL,
I"ll miss them.

But it also means that I am back to being the sexiest man on this forum Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Sloan

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 06:23 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
they either knew or should have known what a2k is from day one. almost certainly a2k was a lark, and they have grown bored, so now they leave... blaming others of course for their behavior . I said many times that the St Pete Playboys are not invested in a2k and that this should be taken into account. I stand by that.

Do you ever think before posting? Or are you just drunk while online? You don’t even know why they made the decision to leave. And what exactly have you invested here besides coming across as being an uneducated ignorant ass.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 06:34 am
@JPB,

the thread in question has received enough down-votes that it's only visible if you uncollapse it, or you set your preferences to view unpopular topics.

it is also collapsed for anyone looking at the site without being logged in...
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Sloan

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 11:42 am
@hawkeye10,
You’re the loud mouth fuckwad talking about investing here. I figured you’d back down and run away.